Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATV Help - No Spark

Background: 2005 Suzuki Eiger 4x4 Auto.
    ATV sat for about 3 years while I didn’t have a lease. I got on a lease this year. Replaced battery, drained old gas, changed oil, oil filter, air filter.
    Finally got it started and running and took it to the lease I’m on. Drove around for a while. Stopped to do something, and the ATV wouldn’t start back up. Loaded up in the truck and took it home.
    Assuming some varnishing in the carburetor from old gas, I have replaced the carburetor (only about $50, so I prefered to replace than try to clean and rebuild since the big issue is labor taking it off).
    Couldn’t get it to start.
    I have replaced the ignition coil and spark plug.
    Still won’t start. It does seem to try to turn over, so I’m sure the starter is not the problem.
    I am getting power to the ignition coil (via multi meter testing), but I can’t get the spark plug to spark (I have two new ones).
    On an ATV board, someone suggested disconnecting the temperature sensor for the fan (apparently if the sensor is bad, the ATV won’t start?). I did that and still no spark.
    I am good with my hands and can fix what I know needs to be fixed. But I am no gearhead and don’t know much about the workings of an engine.
    So, anybody have helpful suggestions for this DIYer?

Kill switch?

Comment

Plug wire in good shape?

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
        Kill switch?
        Is 'on'. When in 'off', it won't even try to turn over.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJake View Post
          Plug wire in good shape?
          this

Comment

New plug???

Comment

Brand new ignition coil with plug wire, brand new plug.

Comment

Some have a fuse in the wiring harness

Comment

air, fuel and spark. rule out by testing or checking that's its getting each one. might be something out of the blue if to was running fine then dead right away.

Comment

Double check grounds and ground wires to frame, motor, and battery. Electrical corrosion and oxidation make contacts do funny things like quit making ground or contact after heated up…or sometimes cooled down or too dusty/dirty.
                    I suppose you did check the battery charge again afterwards. My kids leave the gas farm cart key on all the time and itll run to start but die whilst running sometimes.

Good luck Mr4Him
                    Last edited by Briar Friar; 10-15-2021, 03:56 PM. Reason: GroundContactSpake

Comment

This happened to me this week. I never hit the kill switch. I let someone ride it and they hit the kill switch. It took me an hour to find out why I had no spark. So I have disabled they switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Had the stator go out on my Honda side by side a few months ago. It was doing the same thing. Not sure where the wiring harness is on yours, but it can be tested without taking the stator off.

Comment

Is there possibly a switch in the foot brake? I've always had a Honda but have been on a couple other brands that required you to step on the foot brake to start the motor.

Comment

Working...
                          X