No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger PHL 2019-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other than opening weekend and the week of Thanksgiving we didn't see very many people out there. I would say only 25% of the drawn hunters actually put in any effort and come more than a couple times. It's easy to see deer but most get discouraged when they cannot make things happen. We met most of the locals that had permits as we all would see each other 2-3 times in the week or every weekend.

It's a lot of land for 50 permits with only 20 people actually hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
      Other than opening weekend and the week of Thanksgiving we didn't see very many people out there. I would say only 25% of the drawn hunters actually put in any effort and come more than a couple times. It's easy to see deer but most get discouraged when they cannot make things happen. We met most of the locals that had permits as we all would see each other 2-3 times in the week or every weekend.

It's a lot of land for 50 permits with only 20 people actually hunting.
      You just made everyone's point. People like you make it almost impossible for locals like myself and others to get drawn by drawing attention to the draw hunt. Then the ones that do get drawn, don't put the time in because they live 3 hours away, but decide "why not" put in for the hunt because it's easy and free. I myself have put in the last 10 years and have made every standby and have yet to be drawn. Then I see your posts and look at the statistics and say to myself, hmmm I wonder why another 2k people put in this year than last... then I see threads like yours and quickly remember why my odds keep diminishing more and more every year. But hey its public land and a public forum. Enjoy the opportunity you had and your beginners luck being drawn your first year living in Texas and putting in for the hunt.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry for your loss. Hopefully we get drawn again this year.
        If not, that's ok too. I'll keep running trail cams and helping guys that are not local.

Comment

Good lord the jealousy is strong in the hunting world...

Comment

Originally posted by TxTyler View Post
            Enjoy the opportunity you had and your beginners luck being drawn your first year living in Texas and putting in for the hunt.

Last year was my 1st year applying for the hunt during TPWD online drawing with my son and while living here since 2011. The previous 2 years I missed and tried at the standby with no luck. 3rd year was the charm, but actually I believe adding my 11 yr old to the group is what got us drawn.

Pick up a kid and teach them how to hunt and I'll bet your odds of drawing increase.

To boot, I met 2 awesome guys on here, that live "out of town" who I scouted for and with to help find locations. They hunted every weekend of the season driving 3+ hours each way.

I'm here to help guys. Just ask.
            Last edited by TN_boy; 08-19-2019, 09:49 AM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

You just made everyone's point. People like you make it almost impossible for locals like myself and others to get drawn by drawing attention to the draw hunt. Then the ones that do get drawn, don't put the time in because they live 3 hours away, but decide "why not" put in for the hunt because it's easy and free. I myself have put in the last 10 years and have made every standby and have yet to be drawn. Then I see your posts and look at the statistics and say to myself, hmmm I wonder why another 2k people put in this year than last... then I see threads like yours and quickly remember why my odds keep diminishing more and more every year. But hey its public land and a public forum. Enjoy the opportunity you had and your beginners luck being drawn your first year living in Texas and putting in for the hunt.

I was drawn there last year and only put in just once. I literally put in the day before deadline bc I hadn't had much luck elsewhere. So it's not really threads like this that hurt your chances, it's just the luck of a DRAW. It angers me to see guys wine and throw blame at others bc of exposure to 'their hunting grounds'. You're right to some degree but this sight isn't the only one out there that talks about Granger. I've always known about granger bc I grew up not too far from there and have been thru there many times and I'm sure many others too. I had just never put in. Luck of the draw I can say for sure. I met many guys out there in my limited time hunting that were great people that helped me tremendously and many that were there just to futch with the deer hunters bc they weren't drawn. BC grown men can't be grown men and act like it either. Have to **** in someone else's cereal bc they didn't get there way. That's BS if you ask me and they should be banned from using resources like Granger. Sure hope you weren't one of the idiots out there doing that!
              I hope to get drawn again this year and will be at Stand-By drawing if not. Best of luck to you in the draw!

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
                Last year was my 1st year applying for the hunt during TPWD online drawing with my son and while living here since 2011. The previous 2 years I missed and tried at the standby with no luck. 3rd year was the charm, but actually I believe adding my 11 yr old to the group is what got us drawn.

Pick up a kid and teach them how to hunt and I'll bet your odds of drawing increase.

To boot, I met 2 awesome guys on here, that live "out of town" who I scouted for and with to help find locations. They hunted every weekend of the season driving 3+ hours each way.

I'm here to help guys. Just ask.
                I can vouch for you helping. You gave me a couple spots that were actually good spots! No need to defend yourself bud. People just get butt hurt easily nowadays and use the keyboard to express feelings that wouldn't come out otherwise.
                Hope to see you out there again

Comment

I do wish that if someone drew and accepted their tag and didnt hunt they should be barred from applying in that area for at least a year.

I wasnt able to hunt a tag I drew a few years back (not at granger) but I didn't pay for the tag which put it back in the 2nd draw pool because I knew I wouldn't be able to use it when it came time to pay up

As far as locals not drawing, oh well, the land belongs to everyone in TX equally. Granger doesnt belong to anyone because of where they live in TX anymore than the SHNF belongs to me

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                    I do wish that if someone drew and accepted their tag and didnt hunt they should be barred from applying in that area for at least a year.

I wasnt able to hunt a tag I drew a few years back (not at granger) but I didn't pay for the tag which put it back in the 2nd draw pool because I knew I wouldn't be able to use it when it came time to pay up

As far as locals not drawing, oh well, the land belongs to everyone in TX equally. Granger doesnt belong to anyone because of where they live in TX anymore than the SHNF belongs to me
                    I don't mind one bit who puts in and I do wish great success for anyone that gets drawn. It does rub me the wrong way when some put in for the hunt, get drawn, and make it out once or twice or not at all. I think that's more from the stand point of knowing there are hundreds of other people that would love the opportunity if given to them. I do understand that life gets in the way and can make it difficult to get outdoors sometimes.

I've offered up tons of advice to other hunters at Granger over the years. I just don't put it out on the internet for anyone and everyone to see. I love seeing the threads once the season has begun. It's nice to see people enjoying the opportunity afforded to them.

You guys and your first year luck... smh

Comment

I have no problem being annoyed at folks who buy the tag and don't even bother... that does take opportunity away from someone else. If you aren't going to show up then don't apply or at the least don't accept the permit if you win it.

I don't think it would be too difficult to curtail some of that, even if it's something like if you don't show up for the orientation you are barred from applying again in that area or even that same category for a year or two. I suspect that would weed out a lot of the no-shows.

Comment

Spot on sir and preach it!

It will do you no good with this one though I will promise you that. After he doesnt get drawn for a few years he might just realize but then again I doubt it.
                        Last edited by bloodtrailer28; 08-19-2019, 04:25 PM.

Comment

I don't mind one bit who puts in and I do wish great success for anyone that gets drawn. It does rub me the wrong way when some put in for the hunt, get drawn, and make it out once or twice or not at all. I think that's more from the stand point of knowing there are hundreds of other people that would love the opportunity if given to them. I do understand that life gets in the way and can make it difficult to get outdoors sometimes.

I've offered up tons of advice to other hunters at Granger over the years. I just don't put it out on the internet for anyone and everyone to see. I love seeing the threads once the season has begun. It's nice to see people enjoying the opportunity afforded to them.

You guys and your first year luck... smh
                          I knew of a guy that literally learned of granger on Friday night before stand by day. Showed up, put his name on a card and was first out the hat. Hunted one time and never came back. Never heard from him after that day. That was bad for sure. There was no need of him wasting a permit that someone would’ve used. But there a bunch of people that do that. Every draw hunt I’ve been on, I’ve met guys on day one and never saw them again.

Hope to second year luck too but my draw luck may have run out for a while. None yet and this time last year I had 2 already. Have had 4 draws in each season the last 3 years.

Comment

Cams took pictures of a truck driving through fields after 8pm, last night and last week.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by TN_boy; 08-31-2019, 11:46 AM.

Comment

I'm making my shocked face.... too bad you didnt get their tags.

I suppose it could be staff but 8pm seems sketchy

Comment

Probably Derrick doing census counts would be my guess. Have to do them just like any other MLD property. Could also be someone checking cattle

Comment

Working...
                                X