Richland Creek South hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HuntorFish View Post
    Was anybody able to get out and scout this weekend?
    I as on the North unit looking around. I came to the conclusion that all you gotta do if find a block of timber and set up. Deer sign everywhere. I imagine it will change due to the massive amount of rain they are predicting....

Comment

If that rain comes is they will cancel the hunt

Comment

Was able to connect with one of the guys at the WMA last week. Good tidbits:

1) No compartments confirmed
        2) One way in, one way out, confirm no coming in via river
        3) You can come and go without losing your spot, just have to attend orientation
        4) Field dress only. They will have stuff there for us to weight them and do measurements to be explained at orientation.
        5) Will have water at the check station, still recommends bringing separate drinking water if camping
        6) Will have hoist with gambrels and cold storage for us.
        7) Highly recommend ATV if you want to get deep in to the unit. If you get in a bind getting an animal out, they will be around but try to be self sufficient if possible.
        8) No need to reserve campground, will be open to hunters only, should have enough space as long as everyone is reasonable with gear/tents.

Hope this is helpful, especially to noobs like me.

Comment

I was draw as well for 10/2 for south. My question is, with all this rain will the entire south be flooded? From what I've seen on maps, there is not a lot of elevation changes.

Comment

My understanding is that is fine now and river is a "normal" level, so hopefully not. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Not just the river, the lake releases water in the south unit too, they can't just let that lake go above pool like corp lakes, it has houses all around it

Comment

Is scouting allowed between the end of the October hunts and the start of the hunt on November 20th?

Comment

No they close the unit after Oct. 1 https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/...7000_0112a.pdf

Comment

I've tried calling but cant get an answer or returned call. Can anybody that goes there to scout have them confirm what is required for ATV use?

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
                      I've tried calling but cant get an answer or returned call. Can anybody that goes there to scout have them confirm what is required for ATV use?
                      I believe in one of the other threads it said helmet, TPWD ATV registration sticker(I just ordered one the other day for like $20 online) and you have to take an ATV safety course.

I don't think the wma staff is going to be checking all of this but if the Game Warden shows up you probably want to have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
                        I believe in one of the other threads it said helmet, TPWD ATV registration sticker(I just ordered one the other day for like $20 online) and you have to take an ATV safety course.

I don't think the wma staff is going to be checking all of this but if the Game Warden shows up you probably want to have it.
                        Thanks for the info.

Which safety course have you taken or plan to take?

Comment

Be ready to find you an oak tree. My oak trees started dropping acorns this week and feeder activity has dropped of a bunch. Good luck

Comment

I really appreciate the discussion- lots of good information here!

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post

I know they have warned us at Gus Engeling during those hunts the game warden lurks around trying to give tickets and to make sure you don't transport you gun with bullets loaded in the clip, not sure if the GW treats RC the same way but possible.

Comment

Who's out here for the first weekend?

Comment

Working...
                                X