Lincoln national forest, NM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lincoln national forest, NM

I’m planning an over the counter diy turkey hunt this April in the Lincoln national forest over in New Mexico. Have any of you guys hunted out there?
    I’ve hunted Rios in south Texas since I was 10 and hunted easterns in Louisiana since I was 16. But have never hunted the meriams or hunted that kind of terrain before. Any tips or pointers are greatly appreciated.

Wish I could help, drew mule deer archery there 10 years ago but wasn't able to go.

Comment

I hunted elk in unit 36 a few months ago and ran into turkeys several times.

Comment

I've hunted elk and bear in Unit 34, saw a nice flock of turkeys near the southern Mescalero border.

It's a beautiful area! As far as pointers, the elevation is a little rough for us Texans but it's not too bad if you take it easy.

If you are hunting Unit 34, I recommend Camp of the Tall pines for lodging. prices are good and facilities are nice.

Comment

Used to bowhunt mule deer up there before they went to the Draw saw some turkeys up there every year I went. we hunted out side of pinion and weed .

Comment

In hunt there each year with success everytime... I stay in Cloudcroft and have 4-6 spots I used. Great fun, last year stalked behind 40 birds just to see how close I can get. Even got chance to photo wild mustang's outside the Mescalerdo reservation. Some spots little walk, but easy

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

beautiful country, just got back from Ruidoso with the kids. Saw tons of elk and some bruiser muleys, but no birds

Comment

following.

Comment

I was stationed in Alamogordo for years and spent a lot of time chasing birds up there. They are plentiful. Just be in shape, lits of up and down with elevation air. The farther you get off road the easier they call. The easier theybare to get to the more they've been hunted. Good maps and GPS are your friend. I'm wanting to go back! Good luck, I'm jealous....

Comment

Is it true merriams in the Lincoln national forest or hybrids?

Comment

Any luck on elk ? I have a second season archery tag this year . Looking for some pointers

Comment

Working...
                      X