Meals when booking hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meals when booking hunts

What do y'all pay for meals when you book a hunt with a guide? I had a guide approach me about doing meals each evening for his hunters. Rather than being part of his package he wants the hunters to deal directly with me. I'm not sure what would be appropriate to charge. Maybe like $20/plate for a simple meal with all the fixings including desert. $30 if I was cooking them steaks or something more expensive?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Originally posted by coldgas View Post
    what do y'all pay for meals when you book a hunt with a guide? I had a guide approach me about doing meals each evening for his hunters. Rather than being part of his package he wants the hunters to deal directly with me. I'm not sure what would be appropriate to charge. Maybe like $20/plate for a simple meal with all the fixings including desert. $30 if i was cooking them steaks or something more expensive?

Sent from my sm-g973u using tapatalk
    that would be fair wish you was closer to kerrville area i would use you as well for my hunters that want it.

Comment

We live 25 miles from town. Most of the time everything is closed in town by the time these guys finish hunting and clean their animals. The guide said that is his biggest complaint from hunters.

Comment

You could start there and see if the market will bear it. Obviously, the convenience makes it worth a little more. That way they can spend more time hunting.

Comment

Sounds like he needs a good group of guys to come hunt and leave about $1,500 in snacks and food in the fridges

Comment

He said that is an issue. Lol apparently they leave everything behind.

Comment

What do y'all pay for meals when you book a hunt with a guide? I had a guide approach me about doing meals each evening for his hunters. Rather than being part of his package he wants the hunters to deal directly with me. I'm not sure what would be appropriate to charge. Maybe like $20/plate for a simple meal with all the fixings including desert. $30 if I was cooking them steaks or something more expensive?

At that price I’d make my own meals after the hunt.

Comment

Figure out you costs on your food. Get a number you are comfortable with and multiply by 4. Standard food cost for delivery catering is 25 percent. If you need help estimating costs pm me and I will help. Do not forget to include paper supplies and beverages.

Comment

He said that is an issue. Lol apparently they leave everything behind.

Not an issue for me. I feed it to everyone else...or throw it out eventually.

Meals are tough for the outfitter if they break down prices. Takes too much time. How much time is it going to take you to buy, prepare, serve, and then clean up? At $30/plate for 4 guys even if you got all the food for free you would make max $120 that evening.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrell_County View Post
                    At that price I’d make my own meals after the hunt.
                    You've obviously never ate my cooking.

Comment

Originally posted by talltexasshoote View Post
                      Figure out you costs on your food. Get a number you are comfortable with and multiply by 4. Standard food cost for delivery catering is 25 percent. If you need help estimating costs pm me and I will help. Do not forget to include paper supplies and beverages.
                      Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                      Not an issue for me. I feed it to everyone else...or throw it out eventually.

Meals are tough for the outfitter if they break down prices. Takes too much time. How much time is it going to take you to buy, prepare, serve, and then clean up? At $30/plate for 4 guys even if you got all the food for free you would make max $120 that evening.
                      Most of the time it will only be 2 or 3 people. I don't want to gouge anyone but at the same time is $40 to cook an evening meal for 2 people really worth my time? It will be great with the big groups of 8 or so. I think it would be best to get a couple more outfitters on board that way I am cooking for a good group.
                      I honestly think $30 or $40 plate is a good price considering the other option is driving 50 miles round trip for a fried burrito at the gas station. Which is what most end up having to do. This way they come in from hunting and have a hot meal waiting on them.

Comment

Most of the time it will only be 2 or 3 people. I don't want to gouge anyone but at the same time is $40 to cook an evening meal for 2 people really worth my time? It will be great with the big groups of 8 or so. I think it would be best to get a couple more outfitters on board that way I am cooking for a good group.
                        I honestly think $30 or $40 plate is a good price considering the other option is driving 50 miles round trip for a fried burrito at the gas station. Which is what most end up having to do. This way they come in from hunting and have a hot meal waiting on them.
                        IMO - Hunters will pay an all inclusive price that adds up to a lot more than when outfitters break down pricing. If you bring them food and they have to shell out $40 each in cash for dinner they feel ripped off. Well some do but other fully understand.. Since you have to deal directly with the hunters that will be tricky. I can't see it working as there are too many variables.

If you really want to try then start slow knowing you won't make much, if anything. Find the issues, fix and then see if it's worth it.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                          Sounds like he needs a good group of guys to come hunt and leave about $1,500 in snacks and food in the fridges
                          I was saving that lasagna for my next trip Tim!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                            I was saving that lasagna for my next trip Tim!
                            I have it in deep freeze for you!

Comment

$15 for a meal/drink and $20 meal/drink+desert

Comment

Working...
                              X