1:12 twist 308 ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1:12 twist 308 ammo

Does anyone have any experience shooting Honady 308 178gr ELD-X precision hunter ammo through a barrel with a 1:12 twist?- The gun being considers has a 26" barrel. I have read conflicting information.
    I am going to buy a box a test it because I know different guns like different ammo, but I just figured I would ask to see if anyone has experienced it.
    If so, what was the gun make and model, and barrel length.
    Thanks

It definitely isn't ideal... That twist is just to slow heck mine is 1-10...

I'm going to say MAYBE but I doubt it likes it. Might be on the ragged edge of stability.

Only one way to know for sure... Shoot them off a good rest on paper

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
      It definitely isn't ideal... That twist is just to slow heck mine is 1-10...

I'm going to say MAYBE but I doubt it likes it. Might be on the ragged edge of stability.

Only one way to know for sure... Shoot them off a good rest on paper
      Yep

Comment

JBM's calc says you should be G2G..

I run the Hornady Precision Hunter line out of a Tikka CTR (20" barrel w/ 1-11 twist) and it performs well. Like .3 to .75 MOA well.

Comment

BigJimmyRustler...... it’s a1:12 twist, so I went to that calculator and plugged in the info with the twist and the output data was 1.463. My question is what are the numbers that I should be looking for in a calculator like that. Thanks

Comment

My 1:12 PSS LTR was shortened from 20” for threading and it loves 165/168 grainers. Even corelokt.

Comment

Originally posted by NWernig View Post
              BigJimmyRustler...... it’s a1:12 twist, so I went to that calculator and plugged in the info with the twist and the output data was 1.463. My question is what are the numbers that I should be looking for in a calculator like that. Thanks
              Huh jbm says good... Sonsee what she thinks of them... But start with one box for sure

Comment

Originally posted by NWernig View Post
                My apologies, I screwed up and plugged in 10"...

The general guideline is Green=Good

A little more in depth would be any gyroscopic stability number below 1.0 is unstable, and any number above 1.5 should be very stable. Anywhere from 1.0 to 1.49 should be marginally stable with it being better the higher the number goes.

My guess is you'll like the ELD-X, its great and cheap factory ammo that is always very consistent for me. I find myself going to it from a lot of other loads that I've traditionally used (Federal Premium Nosler Partition, FGMM, etc).
                Like stated above I would just buy a box or two to try it out and see.
                Last edited by BigJimmyRustler; 10-15-2019, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
                  My apologies, I screwed up and plugged in 10"...

The general guideline is Green=Good

A little more in depth would be any gyroscopic stability number below 1.0 is unstable, and any number above 1.5 should be very stable. Anywhere from 1.0 to 1.49 should be marginally stable with it being better the higher the number goes.

My guess is you'll like the ELD-X, its great and cheap factory ammo that is always very consistent for me. I find myself going to it from a lot of other loads that I've traditionally used (Federal Premium Nosler Partition, FGMM, etc).
                  Like stated above I would just buy a box or two to try it out and see.
                  Thanks for your help..... I have done a lot of shooting, but I am just now going down that rabbit hole of data and ballistics. I am learning and this helped a lot.

Comment

The 1 in 12 twist is optimal for 175 gr Sierra Matchking, so i don't see why it wouldn't stabilize the 178 eld. Personally, i tried running them through a 700 LPT, the problem I had was the deep throat in the chamber. Once I found the seating depth they liked close to the lands, they were way too long to fit the magazine. Shot great when fed one at a time though.

Comment

Working...
                    X