Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-19-2020, 02:49 PM   #1
gvanwage
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas
Default New handgun for the ladies in my life?

I have two young daughters who I would like to raise into shooters and my wife has been talking a lot about shooting recently so I would like to strike while the iron is hot! I am a Glock guy and all I own are a 45ACP and 40S&W which naturally my wife says are too big for her hand. I don't know much about smaller handguns in the market or good calibers for women, Im guessing 9mm and lower... give me some suggestions please!
gvanwage is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2020, 02:55 PM   #2
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

Sig P365XL
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2020, 02:57 PM   #3
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comanche County

Kahr CW9 or a PM9 or CM9. You can also get them in 380 as well. Great guns and easy in the pocket book
aggie2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2020, 02:59 PM   #4
smokin6.7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath/Motley

Glock 43.
smokin6.7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2020, 03:00 PM   #5
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

If introducing new shooters and you can swing it the .22LR pistols are a great way to start them off and get them used to the function, firing, and recoil of shooting a pistol. They are also just plain fun to shoot. I much prefer shooting my ruger 22/45 .22LR over my other pistols.

That said my wife, her sister, my sister, my mom and any woman that has had a chance to shoot my wife's SW MP Shield EZ .380 have all loved it. Light recoil, sized right for their hand, and easy to function. You can bump up to the 9mm version, but I took the approach of rounds on target shot accurately are better than a higher powered round not on target. And a .380 is much easier to shoot accurately and quickly. Plus with the size of it my wife can carry it easily and does a great job of wearing it daily since it is small enough to hide easily and comfortably.

Everyone always talks about just buy them what they want. This is complete horse hockey to me. My wife was hell bent on getting a bigger heavier double stack 9mm with a metal frame to carry. I refuse to budge having actually carried a pistol previously and got her the other one instead. About a month into she admitted she was glad I got her the light smaller one as she couldn't imagine carrying something bigger or heavier, and I know she wouldn't have carried it.
westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2020, 03:04 PM   #6
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

Hell I personally carry a little bity old SW Bodyguard .380. But it is super comfortable to carry so I will actually carry it. I tried carrying bigger framed pistols and just couldn't comfortably make it work so I down sized and now carry religiously. 13 rds of .380 isn't something I think any one is going to want to deal with and better to have that than the 9mm that I was leaving at home all the time.
westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2020, 03:13 PM   #7
BDekle
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Comstock, Tx

H&K VPSK9— do yourself a favor and just hold it before you decide.
BDekle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2020, 03:14 PM   #8
wytex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

I handled a Sig 9mm and would love to have one. Fit my hand perfectly. Not sure what model but it was a smaller pistol. Had the great night sights.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2020, 03:17 PM   #9
Chase0305
Six Point

Hunt In: North Texas

SCCY 9mm. Very affordable and they can pick one of their girly colors.
Chase0305 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2020, 03:17 PM   #10
LWD
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County and anywhere else I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by westtexducks View Post
If introducing new shooters and you can swing it the .22LR pistols are a great way to start them off and get them used to the function, firing, and recoil of shooting a pistol. They are also just plain fun to shoot. I much prefer shooting my ruger 22/45 .22LR over my other pistols.

That said my wife, her sister, my sister, my mom and any woman that has had a chance to shoot my wife's SW MP Shield EZ .380 have all loved it. Light recoil, sized right for their hand, and easy to function. You can bump up to the 9mm version, but I took the approach of rounds on target shot accurately are better than a higher powered round not on target. And a .380 is much easier to shoot accurately and quickly. Plus with the size of it my wife can carry it easily and does a great job of wearing it daily since it is small enough to hide easily and comfortably.

Everyone always talks about just buy them what they want. This is complete horse hockey to me. My wife was hell bent on getting a bigger heavier double stack 9mm with a metal frame to carry. I refuse to budge having actually carried a pistol previously and got her the other one instead. About a month into she admitted she was glad I got her the light smaller one as she couldn't imagine carrying something bigger or heavier, and I know she wouldn't have carried it.
This. Start them on .22s.

Then move them up to a medium frame .357 magnum shooting .38 Special wadcutter loads. Then standard .38 loads. The assess where they're at before making the jump to an automatic.

LWD
LWD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2020, 03:24 PM   #11
Chase0305
Six Point

Hunt In: North Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase0305 View Post
SCCY 9mm. Very affordable and they can pick one of their girly colors.
My beautiful bride is 4'11 and loves the SCCY and they are made in the U.S.
Chase0305 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2020, 03:29 PM   #12
Clark
Ten Point

Hunt In: Collingsworth Co.

Girls...and beginners.
Any revolver they like.
Clark is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2020, 03:29 PM   #13
mikebyrge
Ten Point

Hunt In: NW Louisiana

My wife and one daughter who shoot occasionally can handle and enjoy shooting a Glock 19...not so much a Glock 43.

Neither can reliably work the slide on either gun though.

They both like and are comfortable with 22 revolvers and pistols. I would definitely start with a 22. Something like a Ruger sr22 or S&W MP.
mikebyrge is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2020, 03:50 PM   #14
QuackHunter
Eight Point

First off start with a 9, 43X is an excellent size for womenís hands but is not a tiny gun. Donít buy a tiny pocket gun they are also terrible for new shooters. 43x if you want something slim, a G19 or G17 if you want a full size. Recoil will be less with the full sized guns, my GF shoots all of my 9ís like a champ and loves it. 19, 320x, and M&Pís

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QuackHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2020, 03:54 PM   #15
3DW5
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon Co, Jim Hogg and Starr Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase0305 View Post
My beautiful bride is 4'11 and loves the SCCY and they are made in the U.S.
I saw these the other day for sale, are they good guns? I honestly had never heard of them.
3DW5 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2020, 04:12 PM   #16
arrowsmack324
Ten Point

Hunt In: 100% Public

Sig P365 for the win! If she's uncomfortable with not having a safety they make a version with one. My wife carries a S&W Bodyguard in .380 and that little dude is snappy but I do like that its DAO.
arrowsmack324 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2020, 04:15 PM   #17
LOC4L
Four Point

Hunt In: Where I can

My wife enjoys her Glock 19 (9mm), the adjustable grip is nice.
LOC4L is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2020, 04:17 PM   #18
critter69
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CO and Texas when I can

Might look at the Ruger gp100, 10 shot double action .22. Would make a good gun to have even once ( if) they “ upgrade”.
critter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2020, 04:36 PM   #19
arrowsmack324
Ten Point

Hunt In: 100% Public

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DW5 View Post
I saw these the other day for sale, are they good guns? I honestly had never heard of them.
Some folks like them, I'd rather have a Hi Point if that tells you anything.
arrowsmack324 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2020, 04:40 PM   #20
Mr. Stickers
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brackettville Tx.

SW MP Shield EZ .380 all the way. We have 3 one for each daughter & wife. They are in every vehicle including mine, that way what ever the girls drive its the same weapon that they are all familar with.... trust me you cant go wrong with one of these, heck I even like shooting the lil thing
Mr. Stickers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2020, 04:42 PM   #21
Jon B
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States

One of the small single stack glocks or the CW9
Jon B is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2020, 06:03 PM   #22
ArcheryAddict
Ten Point

Hunt In: McCulloch County

My wife loves her Baby Eagle by Desert Eagle (Mag Research) in 9mm.
ArcheryAddict is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2020, 06:18 PM   #23
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

My wife shot my P365, a hellcat, an XD subcompact 9mm, a Shield 9mm and a whole host of 380s. She liked the P365 and the Hellcat but she could not rack them to save her life. She shot the EZ Shield 380, the Glock 43 9mm and Glock 42 380.....and fell in love with the 42. She could rack all three of them.....and said the EZShield was too big and had too much stuff going on with it. She didn't hate it but she wanted something a little smaller. She liked the 43 but loved the 42 because she shot it more comfortably. I figured, its your gun, I will buy what you want and what you will carry but you have to promise me you will carry it when you get your CHL. I know there are a bunch of he-man 380 haters but I want her to carry it versus leave it at home. Maybe after a little more range time she might step up to a 43 but for now, the 42 it is.. Now we are doing some mods.

Name:  RenderedImage.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  156.7 KB

Last edited by Smart; 11-19-2020 at 06:46 PM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2020, 06:39 PM   #24
hopedale
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WMAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stickers View Post
SW MP Shield EZ .380 all the way. We have 3 one for each daughter & wife. They are in every vehicle including mine, that way what ever the girls drive its the same weapon that they are all familar with.... trust me you cant go wrong with one of these, heck I even like shooting the lil thing
It now comes in 9mm and has caught my eye do to the action being EZ to rack a round into the chamber.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...l-thumb-safety
hopedale is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2020, 07:35 PM   #25
Bigdaddy
Ten Point

Revolver 38
Bigdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2020, 07:40 PM   #26
buckhunter1999
Four Point

M&P EZ, my girlfriend and my mom both have one. Absolutely love it.

buckhunter1999 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2020, 07:48 PM   #27
tex4k
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties

You never know! Between myself and 2 sons we have quite a selection without even considering friends. My dil had quite a selection to sample through to find a favored weapon, she finally settled on one, all 4'1" of her liked the .357 sig above all the others.
tex4k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2020, 08:07 PM   #28
bloodtrail18
Eight Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvanwage View Post
I have two young daughters who I would like to raise into shooters and my wife has been talking a lot about shooting recently so I would like to strike while the iron is hot! I am a Glock guy and all I own are a 45ACP and 40S&W which naturally my wife says are too big for her hand. I don't know much about smaller handguns in the market or good calibers for women, Im guessing 9mm and lower... give me some suggestions please!
It really depends on the type of shooting they want to do. For casual target punching really anything they feel fits their hand well will work. If they wanted to get into something like competitive shooting then you will want something near full size like a glock 19 or similar. I see you're in Prosper so if they wanted to get into USPSA competition there are lots of matches local to you. Teaching the basics and properly gripping a pistol makes you understand which gun fits you well. I know lots of small framed adults and kids that shoot full size guns with no issue because they know how to grip a pistol correctly.
bloodtrail18 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2020, 10:52 PM   #29
sendit
Ten Point

My daughter started with a Springfield XD 9. Didnít shoot it worth a flip. One day she tried a Kimber .45 ACP I had out and it was a night and day difference. She absolutely fell in love with the 1911. Bought her a Ed Brown Custom and she is pretty impressive with it being a small framed girl under 100 lbs
sendit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2020, 10:56 PM   #30
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
My wife shot my P365, a hellcat, an XD subcompact 9mm, a Shield 9mm and a whole host of 380s. She liked the P365 and the Hellcat but she could not rack them to save her life. She shot the EZ Shield 380, the Glock 43 9mm and Glock 42 380.....and fell in love with the 42. She could rack all three of them.....and said the EZShield was too big and had too much stuff going on with it. She didn't hate it but she wanted something a little smaller. She liked the 43 but loved the 42 because she shot it more comfortably. I figured, its your gun, I will buy what you want and what you will carry but you have to promise me you will carry it when you get your CHL. I know there are a bunch of he-man 380 haters but I want her to carry it versus leave it at home. Maybe after a little more range time she might step up to a 43 but for now, the 42 it is.. Now we are doing some mods.

Attachment 1028838
My wife has this. Slick little gun
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2020, 11:30 PM   #31
TXJake
Nubbin' Buck

I bought my wife a S&W hammerless 38 special about 10 years ago for her birthday and its still her favorite. She either carryís that or a Ruger 380 but sheís much more comfortable with the S&W.
TXJake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2020, 11:33 PM   #32
Kevin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin and Argentina, Zambia, Kyrgyzstan

I was started off on a pellet pistol. Worked for me.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2020, 10:38 AM   #33
wytex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

My fav pistol is my Delta Elite 10mm but I would not start a beginning shooter with a 10.
My S&W 640 hammerless is a close second.
Never cared for the feel of a plastic Glock.
No pink guns either, yuck!!!
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2020, 03:43 PM   #34
Nado
Eight Point

Iím on the look for something as well, my wife had a Ruger LC9 but kept it in the safe. We went and got the LTC and she qualified with my Glock 34. She liked the bigger frame. She shot the Glock 43X, Glock 34 and Smith and Wesson M&P Shield in .40. She like that smaller guns but was more accurate with the 34 Iím thinking because the wider frame and better trigger. But Iím looking for something for her now too thinking either Glock 19 or Sig 365

Nado is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2020, 04:03 PM   #35
K. Lane
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kendall County Texas

May have been mentioned but
Sig 238 ... .380
Sig 938... 9mm

My wife has the 238
My daughter in law has the 938
They love em
K. Lane is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2020, 06:16 PM   #36
one66stang
Ten Point

Hunt In: Big Lake , Tx

SW 9mm EZ
one66stang is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2020, 06:32 PM   #37
cbd10pt
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for new places

Start with a 22 and work your way up
cbd10pt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2020, 07:02 PM   #38
Leverhunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebyrge View Post
My wife and one daughter who shoot occasionally can handle and enjoy shooting a Glock 19...not so much a Glock 43.

Neither can reliably work the slide on either gun though.

They both like and are comfortable with 22 revolvers and pistols. I would definitely start with a 22. Something like a Ruger sr22 or S&W MP.
Someone makes a loop type attachment for the back of the slide. You can hook your fingers in it, Iím told itís a lot easier to rack the slide. I think itís called a brass stacker.
Leverhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2020, 07:42 PM   #39
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trinity County

My wife carries a Glock 37 and both of my older girls each got a Glock 36 when they went off to college. My two teenage girls shoot a Sig Mosquito .22 to gain confidence and experience. I like the simplicity of a Glock and my wife and older girls are very comfortable with them. I pocket carry a 42.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2020, 07:49 PM   #40
wsteffen
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jewitt, TX or any where else I can find to go

Try them all and then buy either a Sig 238 or the 938. The slide is easy to work and you won't find a more accurate pistol for the money. Thank me later. LOL

By the way, my daughter carries a Glock 26.
wsteffen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2020, 08:01 PM   #41
Box-R
Spike

My wife loves her S&W Model 66 in .357 (mostly she shoots 38Spl in it).
6 inch barrel is rather hard to conceal, but she is spot-on accurate with it !
Remember that a heavier pistol will absorb more recoil (and less recoil is more better per my girl).
Box-R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2020, 09:55 PM   #42
MisterB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

I am surprised no one suggested a G2c or the newer G3C. Some good reviews on youtube, and the prices make them an even better deal. They are only available in 9mm but practically all gun shops have them in stock. Go look and handle them and read the reviews on the ytube.
MisterB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 12:12 AM   #43
KSU_Wildcat
Four Point

Hunt In: Eastland County

Glock 26 9mm is a subcompact and fits nicely in smaller hands. Still has stopping power and has a doublestack mag so it holds 10+1 if she is interested in carrying. And you know Glocks so you know what you're getting
KSU_Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 07:22 AM   #44
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pow Pow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSU_Wildcat View Post
Glock 26 9mm is a subcompact and fits nicely in smaller hands. Still has stopping power and has a doublestack mag so it holds 10+1 if she is interested in carrying. And you know Glocks so you know what you're getting
X2
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 07:28 AM   #45
twistedmidnite
Ten Point

Hunt In: texas

My wife carries the 365. She handled them all and it fit her hand the best. I have a friend who's wife had a sccy 9. It was in her console of her car and rusted shut from the east texas humidity. We still can't get it open.
twistedmidnite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 10:52 AM   #46
coker737
Ten Point

Hunt In: My KB Ranch. Rocksprings, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin6.7 View Post
Glock 43.
This or the S&W Easy Slide
https://www.firearmsnews.com/editori...-review/384631
coker737 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 11:10 AM   #47
ff5717
Nubbin' Buck

Springfield 911 is a very good shooter.
ff5717 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 12:10 PM   #48
username
Eight Point

Hunt In: Illinois, Chillicothe, Florida, Colorado

Walther pk380. Fits small hands, and women can load/chamber without a struggle. Wife has one and loves it. Id rather it be 9mm, but a 380 she can work and shoot with confidence is better than a 9mm she cant.
username is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 12:46 PM   #49
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Walther pk380. Fits small hands, and women can load/chamber without a struggle. Wife has one and loves it. Id rather it be 9mm, but a 380 she can work and shoot with confidence is better than a 9mm she cant.
^^^This^^^

The PK380 is one, if not THE best ergonomic pistols on the market IMO. My daughter used to carry it as her daily CC in a purse situation before deciding itís medium size frame was a little too big.
That said, I still own it and will say that firearm is probably my most favorite gun to shoot. It just feels right....the ergonomic design and dexterity of the grip, the recoil, the trigger, the accuracy....just everything about the way the gun performs and feels is OFF the charts! Walther has always had a great trigger and it can be fired double action or single action.
I absolutely love the gun and we've never had a single hiccup with it with all different brands of ammo and loads. Iíve said this before...I typically always have a gun or two for sale but that's one firearm that won't be leaving the family while I'm still alive!

Iíve yet to meet anyone that has ever fondled a PK380 that didnít absolutely love it. Take your wife and daughter to a gun shop-show and let them fondle one. Thereís not a semi automatic that feels as good and comfortable IMO. If they donít like it.....semi autos arenít for them. Get them a wheelgun.

http://www.380handgunreviews.com/wal...80-review.html
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 12:56 PM   #50
dadogg
Pope & Young

Wife and I both carry kimber micro 9's
dadogg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top