Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-22-2020, 12:19 AM   #1
M.LUNA
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas, Oklahoma
Default Video Camera Pros & Cons

Ok so I have been doing research and reading past threads concerning this topic. I want to get myself a video camera and begin to video my adventures and hunts. I know there are quite a few guys here who film regularly and some who are just beginners. I know what cameras are highly recommended and I've watched the tutorial videos on filming. What I would like to see are guys & gals who do their own filming regardless of experience give their opinions and advice on their personal experience with what equipment they are using and a list of the pros & cons. Today at best buy I was looking at some lower end cameras in the $200 -$300 range and I was trying to make my own comparisons but without actual experience I have no idea what the literature means and what I'm actually looking for. Some topics I feel are important: battery life, low light conditions, external microphone (is it needed), speeds of filming (what's recommended?) Slow motion capabilities, ease of downloading videos, zoom, clarity, durability, water resistance. I have seen where some have used a cheaper camera and the videos seem nice to me when using the Panasonic HCV180, today I looked at several small canon cameras that seemed nice but I just realized I do not know enough to understand what I actually need. So please all who do have a camera list what you have what you like or dislike about your set up and any recommendations that I could study on.
Thanks.
Miguel E. Luna
M.LUNA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 08:41 AM   #2
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

I upgraded to a Panasonic 770 (I believe but will check). Itís an awesome unit. I went with 1080 instead of 4K cause Iím not a pro and didnít want to spend the extra money. For what I do, this unit works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 08:50 AM   #3
Bassdeer
Ten Point

I have something like that Panasonic HCV180 and works fine for me, Takes an SD card so it's pretty cut and dry.
Bassdeer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 09:26 AM   #4
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

I do all my filming with gopros and a canon r700. Everything is 1080 for me as I don’t have the money for 4K yet. I’m a beginner myself and just started filming a year ago from my phone and upgraded to actual cameras about 8 months ago. I haven’t had anyone complain about video quality yet so I would imagine the cameras work. You can check out some of my videos to see the capabilities as far as zoom and sound quality for the camera I have if you’d like. I do run an external mic quite often as very seldom is their minimal wind where I don’t get wind noise. As well as I have several lenses I’ll swap out depending what I’m filming.
diamond10x is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 09:47 AM   #5
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

I use a Canon xa20 that I bought used from a customer. It’s great for what I do and will do way more than what I do with it but I really only care about shot sequence. Nobody wants to listen to my jibberish. Low light features are one of the most important to a good video camera. Spend more money, get better low light quality.

But from working with a serious Youtuber, I can tell you microphones are important. Both on the camera and the lapel versions. Also, he must have twenty different ways to mount a camera to tree, box blind, ladder etc...

Michael has a couple of videos here that would really help you with specifics.

It’s fun and countless dollars can be spent if you so choose. The A series Sony’s seem to be top of the line for both video and stills. They’re incredible.

Whatever you do, have fun with it.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 08:14 PM   #6
ByronB
Ten Point

I use a very old Panasonic HD video camera. Probably similar to a low-end model at Best Buy these days in the $300 range. As long as you have HD the videos are great when playing them back on a TV. Crisp and clear. If you go to the higher end models then all the better. Watch videos that Michael has here or on YouTube.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top