No announcement yet.

Would you shoot him?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

great potential shooter ,,,,, hope he gets some age on him !

Comment

They look a little bigger from behind, hard to say he is legal. I personally shoot whatever deer is legal and tasty looking. I don't care about trophies for the wall or eating old deer myself. Will I shoot a big old deer, sure, I try to for the challenge of it, but the bottom line is shoot what satisfies your needs and desires. It is just a deer, not a big deal, we haven't run out of them yet.

Comment

If you were hunting in Wilson county and he is 13" then kill it. People in Wilson county have the "if it's brown it's down" attitude. For some reason those folks have the immediate gratification mentality, they cannot understand the reasoning to allow a deer to fully mature. Before the antler restrictions, hardly a 13" buck was even seen around here.

Comment

The only reason to kill a big old buck is to tell your buddies "hey, look what I did". I have shot enough old deer, elk, antelope to know that the eating satisfaction goes away quickly with tough old meat. Fish and Game does it for money, they know men want big bucks so bigger bucks mean big dollars in the form of more hunters. Some men truly want the challenge of out smarting a big crafty buck but most guys just want to be in the right place at the right time. We have the antler "shaming" guys now that ridicule anyone for shooting an animal that will be good table fare. The mindset is much different for those who actually hunt for enjoyment and clean unprocessed food.

Comment

I am with the "its up to you crowd". I personally would not. I would rather kill a cull and look at deer that I am not going to put on the wall.

Comment

I would shoot a doe before I shot that buck

Comment

Dan makes a good point. I've got several "nice" racks tacked up around the patio. One was a estimated 7yo that was not a good eating deer. One of nicer bucks but not one I'm willing to put up on the wall.
                I let several "nice bucks" walk last year early and then acorns made hunting tough the rest of season. However I didn't regret letting those bucks walk.
                Now the doe I didn't shoot my freezer misses . . .
                But I'm getting up there in age and have killed so many dink to "nice" bucks that they aren't what I want to kill. However I realized that there is very little chance of me taking a giant.
                Doe eat well and if you have a good enough population I'd suggest taking advantage of it.
                Buck are meat with antlers. I'd love to kill a giant but if I don't have any in my area and I want to kill a buck a three or four year old with a "nice" rack will eat a whole lot better than a six or seven year old with a "nice" rack.
                Your call. Either way enjoy your season. We only get so many.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

No

Comment

I wouldn’t, but that is because I’ve already killed a bunch like that. There was a time when that would have been the biggest buck I had ever killed, and I would shoot him in a heartbeat.

Wether or not you shoot him is totally up to you and your situation. Good luck this season, and I look forward to the LDP’s of whatever you do shoot!

Bisch

Comment

Deer

No way to young.

Comment

He's young yes. With a trad bow...I've shot smaller and younger. My first and only trad bow buck is a 4pt and I'm super proud of it.

I would pass on him with my compound or any greater advantaged weapon but that's me.

You do you boo!

Comment

For me he is way too young and has nice potential. That said, every situation is different. If a deer is legal and a hunter is happy with him in not going to fault anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                            Wipe the milk off his lips for the LDP...or he could be something really special
                            I'm going to wipe the peach moonshine off my lips after I use your recipe to make my first batch in a few weeks when I get home! PS- want to plan a spring trip for an exotic hunt somewhere? I'm hoping to get one in before my scheduled deployment to the sand box in April.

Comment

Me probably not but I would be hoping he would stand still long enough for one of the grand kids

Comment

No

Comment

Working...
                                X