Complications to wisdom tooth extraction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complications to wisdom tooth extraction

I had surgery June 8th to remove tooth 32, the lower right wisdom tooth. It went well, but the surgeon had make a huge cut due to the location. I had no complications until July 4th when I noticed eating a hot dog I just couldn't quite open my mouth fully to eat the hot dog. Granted, my jaw has been sore and swollen this whole time so I didn't think anything of it. Sunday, July 5, I thought that the swelling had increased. I looked in the mirror, could tell it was swollen, but chalked it up to the surgery being one of the toughest the doctor said he had ever had. At my 2 week follow up, he even said it would be longer than normal due to how hard the surgery was.

Well, today I woke up, it felt bigger. I went to work, but called the Dr and set up an appointment just because it had about doubled in size overnight. At 11 am, I started to feel aches like the flu. I am now sitting in the waiting room for my 11:45 appt. I believe it's infected.

Pic with my son is July 4 at 4pm, green shirt is 24 hours later, black shirt is 36 hours.

I am ugly enough as it is, don't need a golf ball in my jaw to help!

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

If you are really bored and want to get caught up on the entire story... https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...ghlight=Wisdom

Comment

That is serious. May have infection in your jaw bone. No joking matter if it is.

Comment

Yep. Antibiotics and told that if they work it would be quickly. If they don't, I am preemptively scheduled for another surgery Thursday to drain and remove everything. I am really achy right now. Can't wait for the pharmacist to fill the script. I don't want to end up at the hospital if those gets worse.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
          Yep. Antibiotics and told that if they work it would be quickly. If they don't, I am preemptively scheduled for another surgery Thursday to drain and remove everything. I am really achy right now. Can't wait for the pharmacist to fill the script. I don't want to end up at the hospital if those gets worse.

Man, good luck. Bone infection is not good.

Comment

Was this another tooth? That old thread is a year old isn’t it? I had all of mine done at one time and it was horrible. Worst thing I have had done and I’ve had six or eight surgeries. Hope you get to feeling better that looks rough!

Comment

Did you go back to the same oral surgeon? You might want to go to the hospital and see a Dr.

Comment

yes sir this is no joke. they need to hit you fast.

Comment

Seriously you probably need a MD. Maybe a lawyer too

Comment

Hope you get better quickly! [emoji120]

Comment

Only time I’ve woken up in surgery was during wisdom tooth removal. Doc was yanking on my tooth like a stuck bolt with a pair of vise grips. . . He saw I had woken up and said “oh s***” then I heard something about more gas and promptly lost consciousness haha

Hope yours gets sorted out without issue.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                        Seriously you probably need a MD. Maybe a lawyer too
                        Seems a little premature, no?

OP, I hope the meds act fast and you wake up feeling better!

Comment

I am still scarred from when I had mine taken out. Worst surgery I ever had.

Comment

Best of luck to you!

I had to have my bottom 2 surgically removed several years ago. The surgeon walked in and said, "Mr. Jewett, your brother used to date my little sister didn't he?" When I figured out who he was I knew I was in trouble right then because that relationship had ended badly. It all ended well though!

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post

What antibiotics did they put you on? Swelling in the floor of the mouth can get serious in a hurry as it can cause airway issues. Swelling outside the jaw is not as serious. IV antibiotics would work much faster. A Maxillofacial surgeon is much better suited to deal with that than anyone at the ER unless you have airway problems. Complications are not uncommon with difficult third molar extractions. Sorry you have to deal with that. They probably will need to I&D that. Keep an eye on any airway issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X