No announcement yet.

Started cottonseed today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They haven’t hit mine yet. It’s been out for 4-5 months.

Comment

Not to sound skeptic, but your cotton seed looks horrible. Looks like it may be from a couple years ago. Maybe it is just the picture but it looks pretty brown and old. Bt when deer are hungry they should still eat it. Did it have a smell at all? Moldy smell? Or Sour smell?

Comment

Started cottonseed today

Originally posted by Krivoman View Post
        Not to sound skeptic, but your cotton seed looks horrible. Looks like it may be from a couple years ago. Maybe it is just the picture but it looks pretty brown and old. Bt when deer are hungry they should still eat it. Did it have a smell at all? Moldy smell? Or Sour smell?

I thought it looked darker than normal too. I didn’t notice any smell to it. I just cut the bags and dumped them but if the smell had been bad my daughter and I would have both noticed it. She didn’t say anything about the smell either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by Bazo; 08-09-2020, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Following

Comment

Corton

Took a year before ours started eating it

Comment

So rain doesn't have negative effects on cotton seed put out like this?

Following

Comment

FYI put something on the bottom of that pen we use a pallet or some wood to get it off the ground. Sitting like that when it rains the cotton seed will stay damp and rot essentially and mold. The wood under it allows the water to drain thru and dry back out

Comment

Originally posted by bjsexpress View Post
                  Will cattle tear up a feeder like that if able to get to it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                  Yes

Originally posted by Bazo View Post
                  So is it a year around feed or no?

Yes. I only stop feeding it about 3 weeks before the rut. Then start again right after. In penned up deer that consume high volumes of cottonseed in their diet it has caused temporary sterility. Even in those cases removing the cottonseed for two weeks got them back to normal. It’s really not an issue for wild deer.

When I first saw the pic the cottonseed looked old to me too.

Originally posted by JamesM View Post
                  So rain doesn't have negative effects on cotton seed put out like this?

Following

Rain doesn’t hurt it. I’ve been feeding it for 5 years now. I buy it in bulk though. Buying it in 50 lbs bags is super expensive. It’s far cheaper to get a trailer or truck bed full. There’s many good cottonseed threads on here if you search the topic.

Comment

Comment

This stuff is “fortified with minerals/vitamins”... I think that’s why it’s that color. I believe they just dust it with something that enhances the cottonseed. I’ve been interested to see if this stuff is worth a hoot.

We started feeding cottonseed this year (bulk normal stuff) and they ate one super sack worth at my particular hunt spot... took a while for them to start eating (took a while for me to get it out there... March I think), but once they did they ate it up. Will likely feed 1-2 super sacks per year just to supplement.. I think a super sack is a half ton.

We also started protein this year.

Comment

the hogs ABSOLUTELY devoured it at our place. didnt get a single pic of deer eating it...lol

Comment

Originally posted by damonator73 View Post
                          the hogs ABSOLUTELY devoured it at our place. didnt get a single pic of deer eating it...lol

Ha! Good to know. We placed ours inside the pens to keep away from hogs and cows.

Comment

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...php?p=14248457

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                              False. Unless they are in a pen and have nothing else to eat.
                              This its a Wives Tale

Comment

Originally posted by Bazo View Post
                                So is it a year around feed or no?

Yes it is. No issues going all year

Comment

Working...
                                X