Propane hook up at home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrc View Post
    It is up to code, that is a 119 gallon tank. 120 gallon and up have a minimum distance of 10' and up depending on the tanks size.
    I have heard this before. I have had 500 gallon tanks buried for +/- 3500 sq./ft homes. 2 water heaters, 2 furnaces, gas range, outdoor grill and 3 fireplaces with log lighters.

They usually install them with some gas in them and then top them off as soon as they are buried. I've heard an empty tank can pop out of the dirt like a fishing bobber with some rain...

Comment

We have a 250 gallon tank, above ground but out of site from the street. Propane for our cooking stove and tankless hot water heater. We buy 100 gallons every 8-9 months with average cost of $200 delivered. We own our tank so that's not in the cost factor. The company we buy from does a safety check on the valves and also on our appliances each time they deliver. Momma cooks a lot, only propane as she says it's much better than electric. Personally not comfortable with a buried tank. The land company I retired from allowed tanks either above ground or buried. At least in my experience I never had any of my customers bury their tanks...their choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        We have propane and run (2) 50 gallon water heaters, 48” cook top (daily), log lighter for our outdoor fire place, and our spa heater.

From May to November we will only need to fill once in a 250 gallon tank. From November to April we usually have to fill it twice or maybe 3 times depending on how much we use the spa and how often my wife wants to heat the pool. [emoji57]

The spa heater is a gas hog at about 4 gallons per hour.

This is our usage chart from May to present. My wife heated the pool twice in May and June and once in late June.

Propane is about $2/gallon in our area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forgot to add I also have a propane whole house generator connected as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
          Natural gas was a lot cheaper and more efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Cheaper, yes. More efficient, no.

Comment

Heat pump is cheaper to heat with than propane. Straight electric heat is neck and neck with propane. My preference for water heater would be propane, cooking propane.

Comment

We have all electric and I have no complaints. In winter we use fireplace with insert to heat main area but we like it cold in bedrooms. My insert once stoked before bed will run all night. It's an Ashley insert and we love it. I prefer gas cook top though and if building I would have propane cook top and instant hot water heater and another fireplace insert for heating main area.

Comment

I’m thinking we may get propane for cooktop/oven and tankless hot water, and fireplace. Heat pumps now a days are super efficient and should do well at keeping the house warm in the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We have a propane stove, water heater and furnace. No complaints. Its nice knowing we will be able to cook and have hot water if we loose electricity(which is more common down on the coast).

Comment

We have two tanks, one for the house and one for the hot tub. I think they come out maybe every other month and our bill can vary depending on time of the year, but I would say on average $300/fill up. We have a propane heater, stove, and hot water heater, plus the hot tub furnace that is on a separate tank. No complaints here.

Comment

Small propane tank for cooktop

Originally posted by tpack View Post

We had this installed and filled for about 1200.00 bucks on 10-2017 when we built our house. We only have a gas cook top and gas fireplace, but we have used it a lot over the past three winters. It is at 25% now and I will fill it up for the first time in a couple of month.
                      Hi tpack,

Can you share with us how the propane tank is working out for you? Are you still using it for just your fireplace and cook top? Is it a 100 gallon tank? How often do you need to have it refilled? Thanks!

Comment

We've only got a gas cooktop, but I've got a 30lb tank for it. Talking with the propane guys, they said we'll need to fill it every 18-24 months. It is above ground.

Comment

I was just quoted 3295 + tax for 500 gal tank(only).
                          10 ft required distance from structure of any kind. (ie, fence/property line, house, shed)

Comment

I personally would Never have an All electric home! We have 2 gas ( propane) fireplaces , 2- Tankless water heaters and range in 3500 SF home! The fire places kept our whole home warm during the freeze and while the electricity was out! We have a 250 gallon tank , topped it off in October then again 3 weeks after the freeze. We’re adding a 500 shortly. It also adds to the resale value to have your home plumbed for both!

Comment

Originally posted by mzurovec View Post
                              We've only got a gas cooktop, but I've got a 30lb tank for it. Talking with the propane guys, they said we'll need to fill it every 18-24 months. It is above ground.
                              Hi mzurovec,

You are able to make a 30lb tank last nearly two years?! Is this for a kitchen stove in the house you live in full time or just a small cooktop in a cabin that is rarely used? We just bought a propane range for our house and I'm debating getting a 50 gallon or 100 gallon tank. I don't want to be ordering more propane every month. I'd rather just order once a year. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by tpack View Post
                                https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...1&d=1595775320

We had this installed and filled for about 1200.00 bucks on 10-2017 when we built our house. We only have a gas cook top and gas fireplace, but we have used it a lot over the past three winters. It is at 25% now and I will fill it up for the first time in a couple of month.
                                I have this same set up for our Range, Fireplace, Tankless water heater and grill.

Comment

Working...
                                X