No announcement yet.

Got watermelons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reminds me of helping my dad as a kid. He'd always tell me; after taxes, fuel, lunch, and my consulting fees you're gonna owe me money after you work all day.

Originally posted by MAP View Post

I'm also about 1 for 6 when it comes to buying good watermelons from HEB
    I eat about three watermelons a week and I'm now more convinced than ever there is no reliable way to choose a good one. I grew up growing them at my grandpa's iron ore pits and heard all the ways to tell which would be good. Had my wife grab one while she was at HEB last week. I got it out of her vehicle and thought in my head, the inside of this will be as white as I am. Cut it open and it was blood red and sweet as could be.

Comment

I eat about three watermelons a week and I'm now more convinced than ever there is no reliable way to choose a good one. I grew up growing them at my grandpa's iron ore pits and heard all the ways to tell which would be good. Had my wife grab one while she was at HEB last week. I got it out of her vehicle and thought in my head, the inside of this will be as white as I am. Cut it open and it was blood red and sweet as could be.
      When we would grow a few out at our farm for our own use, every one we cut open was great. We havent planted any in several years, but need to again. I think the ones at HEB have more to do with the way they are planted, picked, stored, or the variety. I noticed it about 3 years ago with the quality going way down and the uncertainty of what was going to be inside.

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post
        When we would grow a few out at our farm for our own use, every one we cut open was great. We havent planted any in several years, but need to again. I think the ones at HEB have more to do with the way they are planted, picked, stored, or the variety. I noticed it about 3 years ago with the quality going way down and the uncertainty of what was going to be inside.
        Yeah you can’t beat home grown melons especially in the prime locations of East Texas in my opinion
        Our place was 20 miles south of Athens
        We grew Charleston grey, jubilee, tender sweet & black diamonds
        All great tasting melons

Comment

We grew watermelons when i was a teenager, we did ok, but the coyotes got as many as we did.

Comment

83 melons sold in 3 weeks. She said she is saving her money to go visit Paris. I told her I could drive her to Paris Texas in a couple hours for a lot less money. Good times with the kiddo

Comment

This is awesome Ricky. May have to hit her up for one.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

If she just selling them from your home or does she have a location to sell them? I will be in the Sugar Land area this coming Sunday and can try to swing by to get one.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                  If she just selling them from your home or does she have a location to sell them? I will be in the Sugar Land area this coming Sunday and can try to swing by to get one.
                  We just sit in the driveway with a little sign. Thank you for the offer we are all sold out for right now. I’ll let you know if we get anymore.

Comment

Working...
                  X