Venison- dry aged vs. straight into the cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venison- dry aged vs. straight into the cooler

Anyone hang and age your venison before final processing? I'm contemplating trying it this year. Years past I have always done the pulled plug ice chest thing. If I do it I will build a small cooler house with a modded window AC unit for cooling.

I put my meat in waterproof bags and pack in ice chests for 10 days at least. I prefer 2 weeks aging tho if time/schedule permits before final processing/freezing... Always results in tender and flavorful meat that is easy to cook and keep moist and tender...

Comment

If I had the option of hanging my game a few days before processing I would. It allows you to make better cuts when breaking the animal down. Plus it helps with making the meat more tender.

Comment

I hang my deer in a walk in cooler 14 days minimum. I've done it this way for over 20 years. Soaking your venison in an ice chest is not the best way to do it. If you have to use and ice chest don't let the meat touch the water.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          If you have to use and ice chest don't let the meat touch the water.
          This.

Comment

I would love to be able to get my deer in a walk in but its just not easy for me to do this. How can i get mine is a cooler without touching ice? just put meat in plastic bags or put the ice in bags?

Comment

I'd love to have a cooler at home to hang meat too!! Might just have to look into putting one in my barn/shop... Aging meat without putting a drop of water on it does the meat so much good... tenderness and flavor all go WAY UP!!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                I put my meat in waterproof bags and pack in ice chests for 10 days at least. I prefer 2 weeks aging tho if time/schedule permits before final processing/freezing... Always results in tender and flavorful meat that is easy to cook and keep moist and tender...
                This..................

Comment

You can just leave it uncovered in the fridge for a couple days. It will not dry out.

Comment

What kind of bags do you use?

I'm thinking heavy duty drum liners could work.

Comment

I hang mine 10-14 days in a walk in cooler, skin on so I don’t have as much meat loss. As others have mentioned above, aging it makes a big difference in taste and tenderness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Do y'all simply place the QTRs in the cooler, or process it further, bag it, then place them in the ice chest?

Comment

Originally posted by jay07ag View Post
                          I hang mine 10-14 days in a walk in cooler, skin on so I don’t have as much meat loss. As others have mentioned above, aging it makes a big difference in taste and tenderness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Solid.

Comment

What kind/brand of waterproof bags do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                              I hang my deer in a walk in cooler 14 days minimum.
                              Would this work in the refrigerator?

Comment

Working...
                              X