Will Mule Deer Respond to Rattling ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Mule Deer Respond to Rattling ?

Many of you have responded to my query for info regarding my upcoming TPWD Drawn Mule Deer hunt at Big Bend Ranch State Park. I've got another question for the Mule Deer hunters - Will Mule Deer respond to rattling horns as well as Whitetails ? According to my studies, our hunt will be either pre-rut or in the middle of it. I'm just wondering if rattling would be a good strategy ?

Seen vids where they did

Comment

Somewhat but good binos would be a better bet to find a good buck.

Comment

The problem out there is that the density is so low that unseen deer may not hear the rattling. It's pretty open country, so if you are in a good vantage point and a deer is close enough to hear the rattling, you've probably already seen him.

Comment

It would be awesome if it worked. Perhaps they might move so I could see them! When they are still and tucked up under a tree/bush in the shade, they are hard to see.

Comment

I have had better luck getting them to respond to a distress call. This mostly works on does but if they have a buck in tow

Comment

Yes. I've had it work in North Dakota.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin View Post
                I have had better luck getting them to respond to a distress call. This mostly works on does but if they have a buck in tow
                this

Comment

I have been told by a landowner near Fort Stockton that mule deer sometimes respond to distress calls as mentioned above. He recommended a distressed rabbit call.

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
                    It would be awesome if it worked. Perhaps they might move so I could see them! When they are still and tucked up under a tree/bush in the shade, they are hard to see.
                    From the looks of your avatar picture, you ain't havin too much trouble !

Comment

I actually tried rattling for muley bucks last week. I'd never tried it before, but I've had some success with white tails. I had three different reactions from three buck groups. One completely ignored me and bedded down nearby. I had two young(ish) bucks come out of a shelter belt to investigate. I had one spook immediately when I started. I'm sure you would get a mixed bag of results, but I'll leave the antlers at home next time. The environments that mule deer live in, I don't know that it is helpful. You might get one to stand up on high alert, but that's not what I'd want if I was planning a stalk.

Comment

I saw Ryan Roberts on here call some in out in Big Lake with a freakin Jack rabbit call
                        I am not joking either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Id borrow a great spotting scope to go with your binos and leave antlers at home.

Comment

Working...
                          X