What to do? My chicken killin dog..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do? My chicken killin dog..

I have a 9 month old puppy, half great Pyreneese,half hound dog( it’s a long story) that has,ultimately, killed several of my chickens. I found it playing with one of them a month or two ago. Basically, it had picked one up, and tore some skin, and was just licking it. I ended up putting the chicken down, due to the time and energy it would take to save it and get it healthy gain. Came home yesterday, and she had another one down. The chicken wasn’t all torn up, just dead, and a little bloody.
    Since I haven’t actually seen her pick one up to chew on it, I’m giving, her (some) benefit of the doubt, as there are other dogs where we live, and it could have been one of them, Or even a hawk maybe that tried to grab one. Ive heard that you could tie a dead chicken on the dogs collar, and dissuade her from wanting to chew on them. Y’all’s suggestions?

My grandfather swore by the tie a dead chicken to the dog theory. It seemed to work on one of our dogs.

Comment

I had to kennel mine, unless Im outside. Once they kill something, especially a chicken, they will not quit.

Comment

Shock collar. Tie a chicken to the dog snd hit the button on high. Had a cat killing dog and after a one good session the dog thought cats were electric.

Comment

Same problem here.
          Id sure like to free range my chickens and not worry.
          Darn high prey drive. Its a funny switch to toggle.
          Good luck MrWitchgrass.

Comment

Had that problem with my lab years ago. Once we ran out of chickens, she never killed another one.

Comment

chickens are cheap. Beat his back side with the chicken in his face. Dogs are smart and will get it pretty quick.

Comment

Catch the dog messing with the chickens and then tan his hide. Make his life pass before his eyes. I’ve done this on dogs before they actually killed a chicken and it works. Since he has already killed them you may not be able to break thru.

Comment

I used to put whatever the dog was chewing on in their mouth and wrap their mouth closed with a couple wraps of black tape. leave it with them for about 30 minutes until they have slobbered about a gallon, then take the tape off. they will run from whatever was taped in their mouth. works the same way as tying it on their collar but makes them hate the taste of whatever they had been chewing on.

Comment

SS

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                      My grandfather swore by the tie a dead chicken to the dog theory. It seemed to work on one of our dogs.
                      Same here. I think you have several good suggestions. Something should work.

Comment

Whoop his butt the next time he's messing with one. Repeat if necessary. Dogs are smart and normally catch on pretty quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                          This.

It’s worked on every dog we’ve ever owned or I’ve been around.

Comment

I don't know if it'll work every time, but I had a black lab/mutt that was a chicken killin' sun gun. My dad got tired of it, took the dead chicken in one hand, the dog's collar in the other and beat the dog with that dead chicken until his arm hurt.

Dog never went near a chicken again.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                              I don't know if it'll work every time, but I had a black lab/mutt that was a chicken killin' sun gun. My dad got tired of it, took the dead chicken in one hand, the dog's collar in the other and beat the dog with that dead chicken until his arm hurt.

Dog never went near a chicken again.
                              I did this to my beagle and 5-6 weeks later he ate the next batch of chicks I hatched. I just got rid of him.

Yes, the same beagle that Jhill313 ran over with my shredder

Comment

Working...
                              X