Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 11-24-2022, 12:33 AM   #1
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Default Nosler BT effective range on deer

As the title suggests Iím wondering what the effective range is for Nosler BTís on deer, specifically 140 grain 7mm-08.

I passed a super nice buck recently due in part to the distance (384 yards) and not knowing how effective theyíd be at that range.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2022, 01:04 AM   #2
RR 314
Pope & Young

A ton of animals are killed with the BTs. Well, many tons. My son shoots a 7-08 and I set him up with accubonds. I prefer bonded bullets as I like an exit wound in case tracking is needed. Thankfully we haven’t had to track. I can’t see any reason to shoot non-bonded BTs over the accubond at game. In theory, at the distance discussed, with a relatively mild non-magnum, the BT may actually be more lethal (with one in the vitals) as it will have better expansion than a bonded bullet. Then again, no question you won’t have an exit. Some like all energy “dumped” in the animal. I prefer adequate damage and two holes. :-)

Last edited by RR 314; 11-24-2022 at 01:07 AM.
RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2022, 01:09 AM   #3
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR 314 View Post
A ton of animals are killed with the BTs. Well, many tons. My son shoots a 7-08 and I set him up with accubonds. I prefer bonded bullets as I like an exit wound in case tracking is needed. Thankfully we havenít had to track. I canít see any reason to shoot non-bonded BTs over the accubond at game. In theory, at the distance discussed, with a relatively mild non-magnum, the BT may actually be more lethal (with one in the vitals) as it will have better expansion than a bonded bullet. Then again, no question you wonít have an exit. Some like all energy ďdumpedĒ in the animal. I prefer adequate damage and two holes. :-)
Everything you stated is pretty much what I expected. Thank you.

On a related note, I would love to find some 7mm-08 Accubonds in 140 grain, but unfortunately Nosler seems more interested now in making rifles than ammo.
Old 11-24-2022, 07:27 AM   #4
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Yeah youíd be better off hand loading or finding a company that can do it for you like unknown munitions.

Sierracharlie out....
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2022, 09:50 AM   #5
RifleBowPistol
Pope & Young

At that range, any 7mm-08 should be very lethal. The Ballistic Tips are very deadly over a wide range of velocities. Then there is more to it, than just the actual speed of the bullet. Basically at that range with a 7mm-08, if you put the bullet in the right spot, you should have a dead deer very quickly. The BC numbers for a 140 gr. Ballistic Tip are not great, I would say a 140 gr. 7mm, would be a bit above average for BC for a 7mm, but they are still good enough to reach way beyond most people's maximum range. Meaning the farthest most people are capable of hitting the target, reliably. Truly depending on muzzle velocity, I would say, it would be lethal, to beyond a 1000 yards, likely not a fast kill, unless dead on heart shot or spine shot. 600 to 700 yards would be a good maximum, if you have a good load and a 22" to 24" barrel.

Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 11-24-2022 at 09:58 AM.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2022, 10:16 AM   #6
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale, Mertzon , presidio , tiviolie

I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot a deer with a BT , they will be less explosive @ 200-400 meters
Like any thin jacket bullet designed for long range, my uncle loves them on deer .
If the gun shoots them good I would stick to them, people get really hung up over this when over thought. Yes I like a nosler partitions better but that’s just me
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2022, 08:48 PM   #7
ColinR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

384 would have been a chip shot for the Nosler BT's.
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2022, 07:55 AM   #8
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Split a Nosler BT bullet in half length ways and you will see that it has a tapered thickness jacket. Same with Accubonds. BT's will kill stuff out to as far as the gun will shoot accurately. Nosler was making BT bullets for at least 30 years before the Accubonds came out in 2003. Lots of old Federal ammo was loaded with Nosler BT bullets. BT bullets will mushroom only slightly more than the Accubond and may shed a little more weight but they will keel.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2022, 08:32 AM   #9
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Excellent long range bullet.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2022, 11:01 AM   #10
trophy8
Pope & Young

If you have ANY doubt that your bullet will be effective at that range, don’t shoot them at all.

I’m not a fan of BTs and their explosive nature. However, the further the shot, the slower they are running, the less explosive they’ll be. I woulda shot.

I agree on running bonded core bullets.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2022, 11:52 AM   #11
brrdnk
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman,TX,Thurber & The "H" Some Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
Everything you stated is pretty much what I expected. Thank you.

On a related note, I would love to find some 7mm-08 Accubonds in 140 grain, but unfortunately Nosler seems more interested now in making rifles than ammo.
I would love some Accubonds in 140gn for my 7mm-08. Been looking since I ordered my 7mm-08 from APR last February and no luck. Its hard to find Accubonds in almsot ant caliber right now.
brrdnk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2022, 05:03 PM   #12
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
I woulda shot.
In fairness the main reason I didn’t shoot was because I’ve never had a need to shoot a deer that far, let alone actually done it. Even though I know the drop, which I got off of Nosler’s website, I didn’t want to chance it. I really thought he would follow a couple of does through a fence gap into the pasture I was hunting, which would put them inside of 300 yards and I’da been much more comfortable with.

But this whole thing has inspired me to set up some stuff after the season to practice shooting at that range, just in case
Old 11-25-2022, 05:12 PM   #13
2Lazy2P
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas/SE Oklahoma

I prefer the 120 BT’s over the 140’s in the .284 choices for the 7mm-08.
2Lazy2P is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2022, 07:30 PM   #14
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
A ton of animals are killed with the BTs. Well, many tons. My son shoots a 7-08 and I set him up with accubonds. I prefer bonded bullets as I like an exit wound in case tracking is needed. Thankfully we havenít had to track. I canít see any reason to shoot non-bonded BTs over the accubond at game. In theory, at the distance discussed, with a relatively mild non-magnum, the BT may actually be more lethal (with one in the vitals) as it will have better expansion than a bonded bullet. Then again, no question you wonít have an exit. Some like all energy ďdumpedĒ in the animal. I prefer adequate damage and two holes. :-)

I agree 100%

That said I have a 7-08 thatís handloads include 140 BTís and I would not have passed up the shot you did
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2022, 06:21 PM   #15
Encore
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Lazy2P View Post
I prefer the 120 BTís over the 140ís in the .284 choices for the 7mm-08.
I agree 100%.
Encore is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2022, 07:50 PM   #16
xman59
Pope & Young

Quote:
As the title suggests Iím wondering what the effective range is for Nosler BTís on deer, specifically 140 grain 7mm-08.

I passed a super nice buck recently due in part to the distance (384 yards) and not knowing how effective theyíd be at that range.
that was well within easy good range,,, more an issue of the shooter than the bullet,,, if you can it could easily do it
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2022, 08:12 PM   #17
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

No way I would have passed that shot on worrying about bullet performance.

If you werenít confident you could make the shot, thatís a different story and completely understandable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2022, 08:26 PM   #18
Lincoln Hawk
Four Point

Quote:
This man gets it.
Lincoln Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2022, 10:09 PM   #19
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch Counties

I prefer nonbonded bullets on deer. The Nosler 120 grain 7mm ballistic tip has a thicker jacket. So it’s not unusual to have an exit on a heart/lung shot. I‘m not in to tracking deer. High shoulder or neck shots drop them on the spot. I don’t need an exit hole for tracking. But if you can’t shoot maybe a bonded bullet is what you need.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2022, 10:31 PM   #20
Lincoln Hawk
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
But if you canít shoot maybe a bonded bullet is what you need.
If you can't shoot, bullet selection is immaterial.
Old 11-26-2022, 10:44 PM   #21
M16
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Hawk View Post
True. But a gut leaking out both sides is a better scent trail for the dog to follow. Or so I hear.
Old 11-26-2022, 10:53 PM   #22
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Hawk View Post
I can shoot. Just never had an opportunity or need at that distance, so I’m not 100% sure where the bullet would’ve ended up. As I said in another comment I have the drop information from Nosler’s website up to 400 yards, but at that distance I tend to look at it more as a guide than an absolute.

I’m going to set up a large target at that point after the season and take some shots to see exactly what it does, that way if I ever have that opportunity again I’ll have the confidence to make the shot. As it stands, my longshots previously were no more than 250 yards.
Old 11-26-2022, 10:53 PM   #23
Lincoln Hawk
Four Point

Quote:
True. But a gut leaking out both sides is a better scent trail for the dog to follow. Or so I hear.
That a bit of a straw man, to put it mildly. Cringe.
Old 11-27-2022, 03:29 AM   #24
PlanoDano
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX, ID, CO

Quote:
I can shoot. Just never had an opportunity or need at that distance, so Iím not 100% sure where the bullet wouldíve ended up. As I said in another comment I have the drop information from Noslerís website up to 400 yards, but at that distance I tend to look at it more as a guide than an absolute.

Iím going to set up a large target at that point after the season and take some shots to see exactly what it does, that way if I ever have that opportunity again Iíll have the confidence to make the shot. As it stands, my longshots previously were no more than 250 yards.
You are good at 384. Nosler says they will expand down to 1800 fps and you should be above that at 400 and i would guess even 500. Don't depend on the Nosler provided stats as they use a 24 inch barrel and are optimistic at that for IV. Find a buddy with a chrono and measure. 384 is a poke and there is no way I am taking that shot without knowing how fast that bullet is leaving my barrel. Vital zone on a deer is 6 to 7 inches, Would you say the kill zone on a deer's head is even half that. MOA at that distance is about 4 inches. You decide if a head shot is ethical in that situation.
PlanoDano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2022, 05:08 PM   #25
kck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fayette, Colorado and Maverick County

That type of bullet should never be shot out of anything larger than a 22 caliber at any animal larger than a coyote. Now, Iíve got my popcornÖ.
kck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2022, 06:04 PM   #26
Mike D
Pope & Young

Default Nosler BT effective range on deer

Quote:
I can shoot. Just never had an opportunity or need at that distance, so Iím not 100% sure where the bullet wouldíve ended up. As I said in another comment I have the drop information from Noslerís website up to 400 yards, but at that distance I tend to look at it more as a guide than an absolute.

Iím going to set up a large target at that point after the season and take some shots to see exactly what it does, that way if I ever have that opportunity again Iíll have the confidence to make the shot. As it stands, my longshots previously were no more than 250 yards.

Very risky to use data that is not trued to your rifle and verified.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11-27-2022, 09:26 PM   #27
M16
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by kck View Post
That type of bullet should never be shot out of anything larger than a 22 caliber at any animal larger than a coyote. Now, Iíve got my popcornÖ.
I read an article that says that bullet wonít exit a coyote. They couldnít print stuff like that if it wasnít true.
Old 11-27-2022, 09:34 PM   #28
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Quote:
That type of bullet should never be shot out of anything larger than a 22 caliber at any animal larger than a coyote. Now, I’ve got my popcorn….
Lol. It’s one of my favorites for reloading. I recognize it’s deficiencies on hitting bone at close ranges, but it is by far one of my most accurate bullets I load with. I know it’s limitations and roll with it. It’s not for everyone, but when properly placed, it’s devastating.
Old 11-27-2022, 09:57 PM   #29
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

I’m not sold on the NBT. I found complete bullet destruction testing 300blk 125gr NBT shot from a 10” gun on water jugs at 100yards. All I found was a small lead core that was max 10-15grs.

I was expecting them to rapidly expand but at least somewhat hold together. I tested 3-4 and had Sam results.

With that being said I have killed a few animals with 6.5mm NBTs.
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2022, 10:35 PM   #30
xman59
Pope & Young

Quote:
don't drown in the butter!
Old 11-27-2022, 10:39 PM   #31
xman59
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
Iím not sold on the NBT. I found complete bullet destruction testing 300blk 125gr NBT shot from a 10Ē gun on water jugs at 100yards. All I found was a small lead core that was max 10-15grs.

I was expecting them to rapidly expand but at least somewhat hold together. I tested 3-4 and had Sam results.

With that being said I have killed a few animals with 6.5mm NBTs.
sounds like they held together well and exited leaving only a trace of bullet behind,,, that is a win, not a loss!

i have shot about 30-35 deer with ballistic tips from a 30-06 at 3050 fps,,, never found a bullet and had 100 percent exits out to 429 yards,,, and as close as 35 yards....
Old 11-27-2022, 11:24 PM   #32
Homer75
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fayette county

I love the BT’s but, everyone is correct about not good on exit holes. I just shot a buck with a 125 BT from my 30-06 at 60yds and found the bullet on the opposite shoulder just under the hide. It does do a lot of damage to the meat but, I soak it/clean it in water to get the blood shot out for minimal loss.
I’m in the boat of not tracking animals anymore.
Homer75 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2022, 01:52 PM   #33
bigchiefj
Eight Point

I lung shot a doe at about 75 yards broadside with a BT and found the green tip in a backstrap about 18" from the entry point.

It was a 30 caliber 180 grain BT with a muzzle velocity of 2700fos.
bigchiefj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2022, 03:44 PM   #34
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

Quote:
I prefer nonbonded bullets on deer. The Nosler 120 grain 7mm ballistic tip has a thicker jacket. So itís not unusual to have an exit on a heart/lung shot. IĎm not in to tracking deer. High shoulder or neck shots drop them on the spot. I donít need an exit hole for tracking. But if you canít shoot maybe a bonded bullet is what you need.

I agree with this 100%. Speed kills. I would rather shoot a lighter billet faster and more frangible than a bonded heavy bullet going slower.

I am a big fan of the hornady sst, Winchester ballistic silver tips and nosler ballistic tips for game animals. Unless I am worried about it killing me or penetration being an issues aka bear or moose those are my preferred pills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2022, 04:05 PM   #35
RR 314
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by westtexducks View Post
I agree with this 100%. Speed kills. I would rather shoot a lighter billet faster and more frangible than a bonded heavy bullet going slower.

I am a big fan of the hornady sst, Winchester ballistic silver tips and nosler ballistic tips for game animals. Unless I am worried about it killing me or penetration being an issues aka bear or moose those are my preferred pills.

Speed does kill. I just prefer speed coupled with bonded.
RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2022, 10:24 PM   #36
M16
Pope & Young

Quote:
Speed does kill. I just prefer speed coupled with bonded.
Bonded bullets serve a purpose. But not on animals like whitetails. Exiting bullets are wasted energy. But they will kill. Lung shoot them with a bonded bullet and get to tracking.
Old 11-29-2022, 10:33 PM   #37
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Quote:
Bonded bullets serve a purpose. But not on animals like whitetails. Exiting bullets are wasted energy. But they will kill. Lung shoot them with a bonded bullet and get to tracking.
Agreed. I personally havenít found a more devastating bullet on whitetails when properly placed.
Old 11-29-2022, 10:37 PM   #38
Duckologist
Ten Point

Quote:
Dogs dont track guts n blood

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Duckologist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2022, 11:01 PM   #39
Walker
Pope & Young

What an entertaining thread.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2022, 11:42 PM   #40
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
What an entertaining thread.
Yeah it kinda got a little off topic. Fortunately I was able to glean what I was after from it.
Old 11-30-2022, 07:42 AM   #41
Darton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I shot this bull in October with a 150 gr BT out of a 7mm WBY Mag. He was 150-175 yards and never took a step
Attached Images

Darton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2022, 10:18 AM   #42
freerhunter16
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freer, TX

Quote:
I like a bonded bullet with speed also. I may hit some lung, but it will be because they got in the way when the bullet was going through the top of the shoulders... Lol. I do agree though that a softer bullet produces better results out of behind the shoulder shots.
freerhunter16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2022, 10:52 AM   #43
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

When all else fails and you can't decide just grab a box of the old Remington PSP Core-lokt and go hunt. Probably been more critters large and small killed with these than any other bullet in the last 100 years. Always my go to if I don't have any of my handloads.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2022, 10:58 AM   #44
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

I always find the different philosophies on bullet performance, interesting.

Iíve never seen a need to complicate it, personally. I shoot everything I can with core lokts, or some sort of similar soft point. Only one Iíve ever had to track was with a 240gr .44 cal.lol

Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2022, 02:16 PM   #45
Mike D
Pope & Young

I had a couple of bad experiences with BTs in the early 2000ís and swore them off since.

Looks like they may have revamped them a bit. Might have to retry them in a mild caliber like 308 Win with a 168 grain BT.

I actually have some Combined Technology Ballistic Tips I may try in it.

Old 11-30-2022, 02:25 PM   #46
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
I had a couple of bad experiences with BTs in the early 2000ís and swore them off since.

Looks like they may have revamped them a bit. Might have to retry them in a mild caliber like 308 Win with a 168 grain BT.

I actually have some Combined Technology Ballistic Tips I may try in it.

Same. About 15 years ago I shot a buck with one in a 270 WSM. There was 5 different exit wound . He dropped right there but man what a mess.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2022, 02:29 PM   #47
lordvader
Four Point

That Nosler BT would perform better at longer range than at short range.
lordvader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2022, 02:30 PM   #48
M16
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post

Looks like they may have revamped them a bit.
The earliest ones had jackets that were too thin. They increased the jacket thickness about 20 years ago soon after they were introduced. Itís been nirvana ever since.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:37 PM   #49
PondPopper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska

You should have sent it with confidence. Confidence is the key word.
I've killed a big axis buck at a bit more than that distance with a 7mm08 and a 139gr bullet..
PondPopper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2022, 02:59 PM   #50
Kong
Eight Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma Texas

Don’t put one in a situation it wasn’t intended to be in and you won’t have an issue. I’ve personally killed hundreds of animals with a BT out to 500 yards and the only issue I’ve had was trying to send one way over 3,000 fps out of a 30 caliber and it blew up on impact not once but three times. She did die but she barely needed being caped out. Lesson learned on my part, I did this early on in my reloading days before I really knew what bullet performance was. Once you realize whats in its wheelhouse you can’t go wrong using them IMO.
Kong is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top