Attention! Katy and surrounding areas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did y’all read the Article entitled: Report shows high rates of subsidence in Katy. This year we had small corner cracks show up in the ceiling of the master bedroom.
    It was all I could do to try and keep the yard alive and water around our foundation. Water, water, water. Millions of people find themselves in the same situation. Exacerbating the problem trying to take care of your home and keep the HOA off your back.
    These are the six zip codes affected by this. 77449, 77493, 77494, 77441, 7450, and 78094-“saw a 57.31% population increase from 246,673 to 388,036 according to US Census Bureau.
    ….The city of Katy must cut its groundwater usage 60% by 2025 and 80% by 2035.
    So, will y’all stay or will you devise a plan to try and sell your home in a ruined financial environment created by the current administration? I had my wife read this and told her we need an exit strategy before things get worse.
    I would really appreciate y’all’s input on this. Their website is communityimpact.com, all caps

Nobody has an opinion on this?

Comment

How did you come across this article….internet?

Water is becoming an issue everywhere. I’m in Austin area and if every Tom **** and Harry keeps moving here we will be out of water. I can see water prices going up and exceeding the price of gas and diesel in the not to distant future….it’s a scary thought.
      Last edited by Ungawa; 11-22-2022, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Educate yourself and dont just run off the cliffs from one article. Learn about the subsidence district and the water authority's that you have probably been paying fees monthly on your water bill to. Regional conversion from groundwater to surface water is already happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Ungawa View Post

Water is becoming an issue everywhere. I’m in Austin area and if every Tom **** and Harry keeps moving here we will be out of water. I can see water prices going up and exceeding the price of gas and diesel in the not to distant future….it’s a scary thought.
          https://communityimpact.com/houston/...rs-every-year/

It's one study. But generally it's probably right. That said, it's not a sky is falling moment. I live in an affected zip code. Just do the normal things you do as a homeowner in the south with a floating slab foundation.

Katy has plenty of water, and has access to plenty of water. Desalinization is not far away, maybe 10 years. it will be okay.

Comment

Originally posted by Ungawa View Post

Is in our community newspaper here in Katy

Comment

Thanks cause I was looking for a cliff.

Comment

Originally posted by Speck View Post
                Educate yourself and dont just run off the cliffs from one article. Learn about the subsidence district and the water authority's that you have probably been paying fees monthly on your water bill to. Regional conversion from groundwater to surface water is already happening.
                And they are stealing land and ruining critical habitat to make it happen. All so a bunch of people can have pretty grass and developers can build more subdivisions and ruin that also.

Comment

I do drainage in Houston for a living. Every major city in the region has subsided. Some places over a foot in the last 50 years. Most articles you read on the subject are academics who make it sound like the world is ending. Bonus points if they blame evil developers and MUDs for slowly killing us all. At the end of the day if you have slab on grade in silty clay soil, when it gets too wet then too dry it'll move and crack the walls. Been going on forever no matter what elevation we're at. Just part of living on the coast.
                  Last edited by jdg13; 11-22-2022, 09:09 AM.

Comment

I heard at an HOA meeting that Katy is gradually converting more of it’s supply to surface water. Katy won’t run out of water any faster than the rest of areas in that region, but folks are gonna have to stop treating it like it’s an unlimited resource. I’m betting water prices will definitely shoot up though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by Rcole1310; 11-22-2022, 09:09 AM.

Comment

There is already a pipeline in progress from Lake Houston to meet the demands and decrease of ground water usage. You are already paying for it as well. Take a look at your water bill.

Comment

Go buy you a series of water catchment tanks to store your water for drinking
                        Use the cruddy Katy water for toilet, shower , ect
                        Greater San Antonio area has a huge water shortage, and is still in the worst drought since 1917 , surpassing the 1954 one

Comment

It's going to be a HUGE sink hole if the development continues....
                          It's mind boggling to see how much that are has been developed and drastically changed since the 70's!!!!
                          Very Spooky actually...

Comment

I heard they might build a lake out that way near Wallis. Allens Creek Reservoir is the name. Supposed to be about 8400 acres. 7 or 8 more years (or 30) until they start it.

Comment

It’s going to be a huge issue in the future, water rights are going to become big business.

Comment

Working...
                              X