What bow for 12yr old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What bow for 12yr old

Looking at getting my stepson a bow but I am not sure what exactly to get him. He is a smaller framed kid and not very stout. I was wanting something that is adjustable that he can shoot for awhile. Most of what I am seeing is Bear and PSE. Most everything is dual cam and I was thinking a single cam might be easier to start him on but I don’t see any anywhere anymore. Any advice is appreciated.

My son, 12, is smaller framed and lacks in the stout factor as well.

I got him a Hoyt Ruckus. Super adjustable and plenty fast. Got a hostage rest, a simple 3 pin (10,15,20) setup, easton 6.5 arrows with 100g muzzy mx4 broadheads. He shoots it very well.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Comment

Any of the name brand starter bows should work fine. I’ve put together a bear for a friend, a mission for my wife, and another mission for a nephew. The key would be variable draw length and a decent draw weight range so he can grow with the bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My daughter has a Mission Radik and she loves it. Uber adjustable as well.

Comment

I like the Diamond infinity and the edge.

Comment

11yr old on a mission radik also. Super adjustable, relatively light. She will use it for a while.

Comment

What you and him will need to understand, that super adjustable bows have basically zero back wall. At "full draw" he can still move it 1-2 inches in each direction.

Comment

I just bought the Mission Hammr last friday for my 12 year old son. Adjustable from 17-70 lbs and he should be able to shoot for a while.

Comment

I just bought the PSE for my son and it is a nice little bow

Comment

Any of the kit bows are pretty decent for the money. Not sure of what is the best for his size/stature but it's nice to pay one price.

Comment

Mission Riot or even Craze

Comment

My kids first deer at Age 10 was with a crossbow. I just thought it would be a lot easier on him and it was. I tried to get him to shoot a Infinity Edge Pro, but I had lower the poundage so much that I was afraid it wouldn't reliably kill the deer. A 175# pull crossbow was no issue as all he had to do was pull a trigger after he put the crosshairs on the deer.

I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't approve of a crossbow, but they are fantastic for young kids to hunt with during bow season.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemlin View Post
                          My kids first deer at Age 10 was with a crossbow. I just thought it would be a lot easier on him and it was. I tried to get him to shoot a Infinity Edge Pro, but I had lower the poundage so much that I was afraid it wouldn't reliably kill the deer. A 175# pull crossbow was no issue as all he had to do was pull a trigger after he put the crosshairs on the deer.

I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't approve of a crossbow, but they are fantastic for young kids to hunt with during bow season.
                          We started with a crossbow as well. It taught him tighter shot placement, getting closer to the animal, tracking after.

Comment

I have a smaller 12yr old shooting a Mission Hammr at 21" and 38# of pull. I believe its the replacement for the Craze. Quality starter bow and easily adjusted for length as they grow. Hoyt Ruckus or Kobalt are equally as good but may have a longer ATA. I don't see upgrading until able to pull upper pound rated bows or needs more axle to axle length.
                            Last edited by Notaguide; 10-22-2022, 01:40 PM.

Comment

I’d second the Diamond Infinity. Not as expensive but a good bow.

Comment

Working...
                              X