Tree Saddle Platform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tree Saddle Platform

I needed to build some rather cheap platforms for a few areas I hunt throughout the year that weren't necessarily going to be mobile platforms. I saw a company offering a 3D printed wedge design that caught my attention but the price was pretty steep, so I headed to my CAD program to see what I could design.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6791.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	25293286

Name:	IMG_6793.JPG
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	25293287

Name:	IMG_6794.jpg
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	25293288

Name:	IMG_6796.JPG
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	25293289

Name:	IMG_6797.JPG
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	25293290

Name:	IMG_6892.JPG
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	25293291
    I made several templates each one got a little more streamlined. I used 16 gauge flat sheet and 3/4" expanded metal. The platform is reversible for different angled trees, the angle really works well for tree saddles as you can see as my daughter demonstrates, and has a fairly simple chain locking mechanism.

Name:	IMG_6807.JPG
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	25293292

Name:	IMG_6895.JPG
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	25293293

Name:	GPTempDownload.JPG
Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	25293294
    I've built three now and can get one knocked out in about 3 hours with less the 12.00 in materials so I'm pretty pleased with the end result.

thats pretty cool

Comment

I like it. Have pics of the chain locking mechanism? I have welded up a handful of saddle platforms. I have now started using a bolt on method and it is money. I use a treehopper drill and bolts to climb. You could just use a cordless drill if you are doing pre-sets. But the tree hopper bit is superior to anything else you can buy. Anyways I predrill where i want my plaform and then put in a 2 1/2" lag bolt. Platform has a notch that just slides over the bolt head. I thought i would need to then tighten the bolt down but it is not necessary. I creates a tripod effect with that attachment point and where the lower points contact the tree. Super fast and quiet. I have even modified my m7 microlite hang on stand to use the same system. It slips over the bolt and then you fold down the platform and it sucks tight. Less stand movement than any other system i have used. No strap stretch really locks things down.

Disclaimer: if you try this you may die. Or you might not.

Comment

That's awesome! I'd like to see a pic of the chain lock as well.

Comment

The saddle would be perfect for this year. I'm having to be super mobile

Comment

Thanks for the comments and interest, the locking mechanism is very simple with a slotted keyhole through the support. This way no matter the size trunk the chain is always in line to lock and can't be accidentally disengaged.

Name:	IMG_7003.JPG
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	24695518

Name:	IMG_7004.JPG
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	24695519

Name:	IMG_7005.JPG