Italy Must - Do’s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italy Must - Do’s

Me and the wife are heading to Rome and Florence for about 10 days in a month. Anyone have any food, tour, sight seeing recommendations? We play on hitting a few of the major attractions. Looking for some off the beaten path ideas and local restaurants / bars.

I was going to suggest chicken express. That was before realizing you were headed to the real Italy

Comment

Maybe to late, but you can try get a tour under the Vatican.
      You will need to send a fax to make reservations!

You can also check the scala sancta. This were the stairs that Jesus walk up the pretorium. Brought to Rome by st. Helen.

Comment

MACELLERIA Entra in macelleria CUCINE Scopri i nostri menu' ACQUISTI Shop on line LASCIATE OGNI SPERANZA, O VOI CHE ENTRATE, SIETE NELLE MANI DI'MACELLAIO

Go here.

I get to…

Comment

Originally posted by jomw10 View Post
          Maybe to late, but you can try get a tour under the Vatican.
          You will need to send a fax to make reservations!

You can also check the scala sancta. This were the stairs that Jesus walk up the pretorium. Brought to Rome by st. Helen.

https://www.scala-santa.com/en/homepage/
          A fax??? Is that a real thing anymore?

Comment

dont drive anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Brown View Post
              A fax??? Is that a real thing anymore?
              You better believe it! The Vatican moves very slow! But the tour is worth it.

This basilica is also great

It was build on top of an old church/house build on top of a Roman temple. You can visit the excavations of all 3 levels

Basilica of Saint Clement is an early Christian church, which has been reconstructed in various periods, dedicated to Pope Clement I.

Comment

I've been to both places twice; first time on a tour and the 2nd time as an excursion from a Mediterranean cruise. I can't remember any specific restaurants or points of interest beyond the usual tourist spots you will find on your trip. That being said we enjoyed our stop between Rome and Florence at Orvieto. I highly recommend it if if can be fitted into your schedule.

Oh...and drink the wine!

Comment

Suggestion: list what places you already plan to visit; then we can fill in the blanks if there are spots that we think you should visit that is not already on your list. This will save some duplicative responses.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                    I was going to suggest chicken express. That was before realizing you were headed to the real Italy
                    Hahaha, don't forget Hartz chicken.

Comment

Eat as much pasta and pizza and gelato as you can. You will never get close to having anything as good back home. Roman forum, Colosseum, Vatican, Sisteene Chapel. Get out in the country in the little towns as well. In Florence you have to go to the Uffizi. Pick up some leather wallets for family back home and get yourself a leather jacket

Comment

Basilica St Mary Maggiore is beautiful. There is another, that we found by accident and probably wouldve walked on by had i not glanced in the door. It is called St Mary of the Angels and Martyrs. From the outside, looks like ruins, inside it is incredible. Designed by Michaelangelo. The Coloseum, Forum, and Vatican tours are all worth doing. Trevi fountain. Dont forget about the siesta time. Dont try to drive in Rome

Havent been to Florence, but will be going in 3 weeks

Comment

In Rome, you must go to the Coliseum and the Vatican (then you can see how much the Roman Catholic Empire, not to be confused with the Roman Catholic Church, stole from antiquity. Be careful... buy tickets online. Lots of scalpers and tricksters waiting to ambush tourists with tickets, trinkets, etc.

Lots of other must-sees...

Fontana di Trevi

Bocca della Verità (Mouth of Truth)

All of ancient Rome, actually...

P.S. Don't expect Italian pizza to be like American pizza. In the coastal areas, the food of choice is seafood. In the interior and Alps, it's much more traditional pastas and pizza. Have a great trip.
                          Last edited by kry226; 08-16-2022, 07:13 AM.

Comment

The pantheon and the Vatican were the most impressive things to see in Rome to me. I went back to the Pantheon a few times. Bring good walking shoes. You’ll figure out how tod rap with the hoards of people trying to sell you junk and scam you with three card monte quickly. Just don’t look at them. It feels rude to most Texans, just ignore them though, not even a “no thank you”.

Comment

If Florence is your first stop....Set up a sunset boat ride on the Arno. It is a fun way to keep you awake to get on "Italy" time. If not your first stop...it is still a fun time!

It's been 6 years, but we had a really great tour of S. Appiano Winery that included lunch in the wine basement (the most amazing lasagna I have ever eaten!)

Find an Olive Oil Tasting tour. You will find yourself shipping bottles home!

Take the train to Cinque Terre for the day.

All of this is (pre Covid) so not sure what has changed.

Comment

Working...
                              X