Getting in Shape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting in Shape

Besides hiring a trainer, what’s a good program to get started with. I’m 53, could loose about 20 lbs, but just wanting to feel somewhat fit again. My job isn’t physically challenging in the least and thinking about a gym membership (cause it’s too dang hot out to start working out in it), but open to other in home options as well.

TIA.

Work out.

Comment

Strong Lifts 5x5 is a great beginners program. Really it’s a great template for any level
      Join a gym or invest into a power rack, Barbell and a set of plates.
      Then focus on eating better.

That will get you a long ways

Comment

do you want to get stronger or lose weight? Two way different workout styles

I’d say sign up for a 5k or something like that and train towards a goal. That’s always helped me in the past to get up and be active and also to lose weight

Comment

Round is a shape.

Embrace it, it's just so much easier.

Comment

#1 thing is going to be your diet and altering eating habits to eating cleaner.

I’m down almost 15 pounds in the last 3 or 4 months. I finally stopped viewing it as a “diet” and changed my mindset to living a healthier life style for myself and my family. I’ve always continued to lift weights, but was never a lean guy. Constantly dealing with heart burn, back pain, and knee pain. I haven’t had any heart burn in 3 months or so and back is feeling much better week by week.

Good luck! A healthier lifestyle is Attainable by everyone! Just have to get your mind right first.

Comment

heavy bag and 30-40 lb back pack hikes around the neighborhood. Squats with the pack on and drink a gallon of water daily.
              This is what i just started and hoping for results. I know the bag is a great work out because i did it for a couple years and then let it go.

Comment

Week one...Eat less and better, nothing after 7pm & walk more than you normally do.
                Week two...Eat less and a little better, nothing after 7 & walk more than week one.
                Week three..Eat less and a little better, nothing after 6:30 & walk more than week two.
                Week four... Eat same as week three, nothing after 6:30 & walk more than week three.
                New habits have been formed... stay with it for the long haul!

Its small stupid stuff that makes a big difference. Like going to eat Mexican food. Tell your wait person not to bring any chips out till your food comes out. No rolls at your favorite steak house. At work park out in the parking lot as far as you can. At work get up and walk 5-10 minutes out of every hour. Get a exercise ball and sit on it 10 minutes an hour instead of your chair. Eliminate as much sugar as you can. Drink lots of water.

I started this the first of June and have lost 30pds. Slow and steady pace. Inch by inch its a cinch. No gym or trainer needed. No short cuts and it ain't easy!

Comment

Lots of good advice already given. I will echo the start by setting a goal advice. There are lots of apps that will track your steps. Start with a 10K/day step goal. If possible get your wife or a friend involved so that you can hold each other accountable. When I say 10 k steps, I mean 10 K more then you are averaging now.

Once you start getting the access weight off and feel better, the exercise routine becomes addictive. Eat better/clean up your diet along with the walking and the weight comes off even faster. Best of luck on your journey to being healthier and feeling better.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                    Week one...Eat less and better, nothing after 7pm & walk more than you normally do.
                    Week two...Eat less and a little better, nothing after 7 & walk more than week one.
                    Week three..Eat less and a little better, nothing after 6:30 & walk more than week two.
                    Week four... Eat same as week three, nothing after 6:30 & walk more than week three.
                    New habits have been formed... stay with it for the long haul!

Its small stupid stuff that makes a big difference. Like going to eat Mexican food. Tell your wait person not to bring any chips out till your food comes out. No rolls at your favorite steak house. At work park out in the parking lot as far as you can. At work get up and walk 5-10 minutes out of every hour. Get a exercise ball and sit on it 10 minutes an hour instead of your chair. Eliminate as much sugar as you can. Drink lots of water.

I started this the first of June and have lost 30pds. Slow and steady pace. Inch by inch its a cinch. No gym or trainer needed. No short cuts and it ain't easy!
                    Big congrats to you Sir. Keep up the good work.

Comment

Burn more than you eat

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by EarleyBird View Post
                        Round is a shape.

Embrace it, it's just so much easier.

This!! LOL!

Comment

Monitor your diet. Especially alcohol

For me “Hasfit” on YouTube helped to get me in great shape for my age and without leaving the house.
                          You will need a few dumbbells and a mat.

I also walk a lot and spend a part of everyday on the ranch sweating.
                          Last edited by Big pig; 07-26-2022, 08:21 PM.

Comment

You should try yoga. It's so very good for you and not really exercise at all. I've been doing it since I was 50 and am 72 now and still in great health. I can do pretty much any thing I could do at 50.

Comment

90% diet
                              10% exercise

Comment

Working...
                              X