No announcement yet.

2022 Handgun Hunting Theead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snuck out after thanksgiving lunch and got a small sow with the contender shooting 250gr Matt’s HP bullets over 10gr of trailboss leaving the muzzle at 1000fps. I shot at a bigger sow and somehow I think I missed as I didn’t hear the POP like on this one. The little pigs hung around for another quick shot and I managed to sink one in the back legs pretty hard to see them at last light. She mad a dash to the trees and with a little lead I put a second one in her neck both shots were 100yards give or take. Both bullets did exit. I don’t think they expanded as much as they did on my water testing but they did work.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
      Snuck out after thanksgiving lunch and got a small sow with the contender shooting 250gr Matt’s HP bullets over 10gr of trailboss leaving the muzzle at 1000fps. I shot at a bigger sow and somehow I think I missed as I didn’t hear the POP like on this one. The little pigs hung around for another quick shot and I managed to sink one in the back legs pretty hard to see them at last light. She mad a dash to the trees and with a little lead I put a second one in her neck both shots were 100yards give or take. Both bullets did exit. I don’t think they expanded as much as they did on my water testing but they did work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good shooting BFT!

Comment

I normally don’t wear a pistol at the farm but had one on today and remembered I did as I was leaving to get into the stand. I grabbed some hand corn and threw it 15 yards away. Who knows maybe I can post a pistol kill too!

Comment

The highs and lows of pistol hunting are real… my FIL took me to his place in Hellena yesterday to cull does so I figured getting a few more pistols kills under my belt would be a great thing to do. We had an active morning and I had a big mature doe at 65-75 yards lined up the shot broad side with the 44mag loaded with 250gr HP and squeezed off. Right as the trigger broke she turned head on towards me and I hit her in the right shoulder. She was hit hard but not anchored. I couldn’t get another shot off before she got out of range. I watched her walk into the thick mesquite brush flickering her tail. Waiting a few hours went to pick up the track and found very spotty blood for 50 yards then lost the trail.

Im convinced if I would have had a hard cast bullets the situation may have been different… east me up to loose a deer.

We hunted all day and I had ample opportunity to try again but was kinda put off so we just watched deer. Good dose of reality and lessons learned. Stuff happens but I can’t help but think of what I could have done better.

Comment

The highs and lows of pistol hunting are real… my FIL took me to his place in Hellena yesterday to cull does so I figured getting a few more pistols kills under my belt would be a great thing to do. We had an active morning and I had a big mature doe at 65-75 yards lined up the shot broad side with the 44mag loaded with 250gr HP and squeezed off. Right as the trigger broke she turned head on towards me and I hit her in the right shoulder. She was hit hard but not anchored. I couldn’t get another shot off before she got out of range. I watched her walk into the thick mesquite brush flickering her tail. Waiting a few hours went to pick up the track and found very spotty blood for 50 yards then lost the trail.

Im convinced if I would have had a hard cast bullets the situation may have been different… east me up to loose a deer.

We hunted all day and I had ample opportunity to try again but was kinda put off so we just watched deer. Good dose of reality and lessons learned. Stuff happens but I can’t help but think of what I could have done better.
              Like you, I hate to lose a deer, but it happens. I can remember the few I’ve lost better than the many I’ve killed. There’s a lesson in there somewhere !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                Like you, I hate to lose a deer, but it happens. I can remember the few I’ve lost better than the many I’ve killed. There’s a lesson in there somewhere !
                You sir are 100% correct. Hard to remember every deer I killed but I remember every one I’ve lost

Comment

Well done Blackfin! Congrats on the pig. And sorry about the doe.

Comment

Turkey down! Heckuva way to start the weekend. Roughly 57 yards facing away. Perfect ‘Texas heart shot’! FA 97 in 41 magnum and 210 xtp hand load. DRT!

Comment

Congratulations, nice shooting.

Comment

You’re a killer Randy !

Comment

Doe down! 55ish yards/high shoulder - dropped in her tracks! FA 97/41 and XTP hand load.

Comment

I may have to get me a pistol for hunting. Looks pretty fun

Comment

Looking good everybody, I may have to drag out the .44 special and join in soon…

Comment

Originally posted by Randy M View Post
                                Doe down! 55ish yards/high shoulder - dropped in her tracks! FA 97/41 and XTP hand load.

Great shootin', congrats!

Comment

Working...
                                X