My little man scored tonight.
    Attached Files

Comment

Awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Way to go!

Comment

So this trip Big got his first bow kill, the doe on Monday, and Little got his first crossbow (or bow) kill tonight. Middle is here but can't hunt because the office wouldn't let me pickup his permit yesterday. He filled out and signed all the forms but this guy swears he has to sign the permit in front of him for some odd reason and of course they're closed today. I've picked up permits for a bunch of people in the past and they just signed it when they got it, same if you mail in the forms.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
            Side note, when we went to check in deer the CWD team told us that 3 deer from the lower part of the lake tested positive this year. All ours so far have come back not detected.
            I need to correct this. I asked the CWD lady today when we checked in my son's buck and she said there's not been any positives since the original case a couple years ago. I'm not sure why there's conflicting info. She also said she's been working this station since beginning of November and only checked in 5 deer from Amistad but that doesn't include her days off.

Weather is nicer than expected today but a little wet, rained well all night long. We're headed home so these deer can relax a bit til next time.

Comment

^^^ thanks for leaving a few breathing deer for the rest of us

Comment

Is Justletmein the Amistad "master "I have long been hearing about in other public hunting threads?

Sounds like he sure knows how to make it happen out there.

Comment

Lol hey I didn't kill anything this time, just the boys and my buddy. Wife should've had two also though.

Comment

I’m gonna have to hitch a ride with you next go round!

Comment

Bring it. I think we'll do one or maybe two more weekend trips at this point then switch to ducks in January.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                        Bring it. I think we'll do one or maybe two more weekend trips at this point then switch to ducks in January.

I’ll still be trying to kill a deer by then!! Maybe I ought to buy a crossbow

Comment

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
                          I’ll still be trying to kill a deer by then!! Maybe I ought to buy a crossbow

They're not fair man, really not. You still have to find the deer of course but man most of the time we always got busted would be drawing back, the sideways bows eliminate that motion. They also allow me to sit with a lower profile, last couple times I just plop down in tall grass with nothing else around. I wish they wouldn't allow them but as long as they do I don't have a problem using them. I will say this, they're loud, very loud. People will be tempted to take longer shots and that's going to end in a lot of messed up wounded deer. These deer are wild and they'll react rapidly to a crossbow string. My buddy shot his buck just over 40 yards and he went from broadside with his head up to quartering-to and took the arrow to the front of the chest. IMO 40 yards is max for these deer unless there's an airplane flying over or some sort of cover noise.
                          Last edited by justletmein; 11-27-2022, 04:33 PM.

Comment

^^^ snake in the grass tactics; I like that

What model X-bow are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                              ^^^ snake in the grass tactics; I like that

What model X-bow are you using?
                              There's a spot where later in the season if the late season patterns repeat I'm planning to lay down prone in a little divot way out in the open.

Wife and I have Centerpoint CP400's, they were on sale 40% off and couldn't resist. My son has a Barnett Hyper Whitetail 410. Got a great deal on that one from Camofire also.

Comment

FYSA watch your step, crack in rock, also found one big enough to fall completely into. Still pulling out cactus needles. So much fun even getting skunked.

Comment

Working...
                                X