Nighttime use of drones to find hogs passed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nighttime use of drones to find hogs passed

TPWD Commission passed the proposal to allow hunters to find hogs at night. A total of 65 public comments were received, with 51 percent in favor and 37 percent opposed. I'm inclined to think most of the comments came from TBH. Only 65 comments, which means only 33 people were in favor of the proposal.

By Craig Nyhus, Lone Star Outdoor News. Photo by Joe Richards. On Nov. 3, The Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission approved changes to the Aerial Wildlife Management Permit rules to allow the use of drones and unmanned aerial vehicles to locate feral hogs for the purpose of hunting. Stormy King, assistant commander at Texas Parks

By Craig Nyhus, Lone Star Outdoor News. Photo by Joe Richards.

On Nov. 3, The Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission approved changes to the Aerial Wildlife Management Permit rules to allow the use of drones and unmanned aerial vehicles to locate feral hogs for the purpose of hunting.

Stormy King, assistant commander at Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, said current regulations prohibit the use of drones and UAVs to conduct any activity for take, including locating hogs.

“They can be useful to control feral hogs at night,” King said. “The change would allow the use to locate hogs for take by gunners on the ground.”

The regulation change would not apply to any other game or exotic species.

A total of 65 public comments were received, with 51 percent in favor and 37 percent opposed.

“The biggest concern was overflight (onto neighboring properties),” King said. “However, the permitted activity has to be reported.”

Also, no drone-mounted weapons are permitted.

“They can only be used to locate,” King said. “They can’t be used to herd them.”

Commissioner Jeffrey Hildebrand pointed out, like when herding cattle, the noise from drones would herd hogs into an area where the hunters are waiting.

“It does have a herding effect,” he said.

Who cares if you herd them with the drone lol. Sounds awesome. Would be awesome to see a drone used overseas kill pigs too

Comment

I care. Who is to say the drone operator isn't "herding" deer off property for a morning hunt on his property?

Comment

It bothers me zero to use drones to improve wildlife. Helicopter survey vs drone survey. Less $$$ and no stress on the deer herd. Killing hogs- if it’s more effective do it.

Comment

Didn’t know this wasn’t already allowed?

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
            I care. Who is to say the drone operator isn't "herding" deer off property for a morning hunt on his property?
            Valid point on especially larger properties however I don’t think it would be as effective to herd deer at 2am onto your property to shoot it. People do immoral things for money though. Regardless of the law. It still is illegal to do and the law won’t stop immoral people.

Comment

My only real issue with it is how hard it'll be to prove someone was running hogs on your place with a drone instead of poorly trained dogs that "don't know fences." That's a hypothetical though. At the end of the day jerks are going to do illegal stuff. Legal folks now have more options which is a good thing.

Comment

Oh joy! A new method of hog dogging.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                  Didn’t know this wasn’t already allowed?
                  I think (heavy on the “think”) that federal law prohibits drones for most wildlife hunting, surveys, photography, etc.

Unless…..

A state has a specific law allowing it.

So basically….. all drone activity as it relates to wildlife is against the law unless a state says it’s okay.

And….

Texas already has a state law prohibiting practically everything as it relates to drones combined with wildlife.

Now TPWD has apparently approved drones for the limited use of hog hunting so it would comply with state and (I think) federal law.

Comment

This isn't just flying drones --

Flying drones -- at night -- to locate hogs -- for night hunters to move in for a kill

I mean, what could possibly go wrong??

Comment

Did you send in your comment opposing it?

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post

Time to rig up some gill nets on balloons to raise the fence height so to speak

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                          MHBaseball don't even have to cross your fence now.

Comment

To fly a drone at night you still have to pass the 107 test to get your drone pilot license. To fly for profit same thing gotta pass the 107 test.

Then you have the cost of the drone with thermal start @ $7k then all the other gear and extra batteries you will need and you will need them. You can pay less than half that to mount a thermal on your rifle and just sit over your feeder. One wreck of that drone into a tree and its totaled.

So I dont seen this catching on too quick. JMO

Comment

Not every swinging johnson has the money to buy a thermal drone. lol yall are stressing over the wrong things..

Comment

Working...
                              X