Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
    Are you running all long springs ?

I just bought 9 each Victor 3n dbl. waiting on them to come in.
    No. Actually the first traps I bought when I started trying trapping again were Duke coil springs. I still use them.
    I also recently bought 4 #3 Bridger coil springs.
    The long springs are definitely easier to bed & get stable, but they require more digging. Especially the big #4s.

Comment

My brother sent me this pic, from the camera on his feeder.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	40201.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	24696981

Comment

I really enjoy this thread...keep up the great work!

Do you guys ever set traps around feeders? I was curious as to how we make sure we don't catch a deer in one of the foothold traps if we happen to set a trap that's within 100 yards or so of a feeder.

Comment

100 yards is the closest I currently have traps set.
          Deer are attracted to the lures and other scents used, and I don't need any tripped traps.
          The coyotes give me a hard enough time.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
            I really enjoy this thread...keep up the great work!

Do you guys ever set traps around feeders? I was curious as to how we make sure we don't catch a deer in one of the foothold traps if we happen to set a trap that's within 100 yards or so of a feeder.
            I’ve had deer set off several traps they always pull out because they don’t have a padded foot like a coyote or cat. I have caught pigs though so..

Comment

Lost another Sleepy Creek DLS

Brush mulcher tire vs steel trap.

Name:	20221106_150726.jpg
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	24697129

Name:	20221106_150714.jpg
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	24697130

Comment

It could be repaired, with a tig welder.
                Replace the little portion where the jaws tie into the frame, which was torn.

Comment

Man that is aggravating getting gear run over. I’ve pulled gear and left coyote control jobs over it.

Comment

Originally posted by TXraiderTK View Post
                    so i dont know a ton about trapping but enjoy setting a few when im out at the lease, ive got a question for the green screen...

i found an old bucket with 6 or so traps in it. full of water. Whats the best way to get these traps in good working condition now that they are all rusted? thanks
                    Try some diluted vinegar on the traps top get some rust off, leave some for the dye to stick to or just not dye them.
                    Might need to clean up the dogs to get them to fire right.

Comment

Getting ready to start trapping up here. Cat market is looking better this year, not sure if coyotes will sell or not but we're going to trap them.
                      Putting some Wild River pan covers on some of our MB 550s, hope it helps with cats.
                      Ordering some fresh cat urine too.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                        Getting ready to start trapping up here. Cat market is looking better this year, not sure if coyotes will sell or not but we're going to trap them.
                        Putting some Wild River pan covers on some of our MB 550s, hope it helps with cats.
                        Ordering some fresh cat urine too.
                        Shoot yea, I been waiting for you to get started! I always enjoy your post, and ready to see some north country fur.

Comment

I been thinking about posting this for a while. It’s a method that really helps get a coyote to work a set. It’s a method that’s known but for one reason or another you don’t hear too much about. You need 2 pieces of equipment that are totally scent free. You will need a five gallon bucket that has been decontaminated for lack of a better term. Get a clean bucket and clean it as good as possible fill it with dirt and leaves leave it for a couple of months, letting it catch rain water if you get it. The other is a pump up sprayer, the kind with a metal tank is my preferred Choice. I would not use one that has ever been used for any other purpose but this, making sure there’s no chemical residue. Catch you a coyote (Strong smelling males work the best) and skin him out. You don’t have to skin it in the same fashion that you would to sell the hide, you can cut the hide off in big pieces. Make sure you don’t have meat on the Hide you don’t want blood in in your mixture. Take the 5gal bucket thats been cleaned and decontaminated, put the coyote hide in it and fill the bucket with creek, well or lake water. Dont use water That has been chlorinated. Leave the coyote hide in there for 24 to 36hrs. Remove the hide and put the water in your pump up sprayer. I often use this method on predator control jobs where other trappers have made coyotes trap wise. Find the trail they are using, get off the trail 1’ or 2’ on the upwind side. Set your trap on the edge of some kind of backing, it can just be grass or weeds. Then spray the area with a half gallon or so of your liquid. I’ll even spray area around and the dirt above the trap, not too much but enough blend your set. I’ll often take a couple of pieces of deer hide with no other scent and stake them to the ground in 10” or so in front of your trap. Just to get their feet where you want them. This concoction will only last about a week depending on temps before it starts to sour. On a new sprayer I would spray abour a half gallon or so thru the system away from your set to purge the hose and make sure there’s no rubber smell. I’ve caught many ol trap shy coyotes using this methods where other trappers have gave up and went home. Hope it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
                            Shoot yea, I been waiting for you to get started! I always enjoy your post, and ready to see some north country fur.
                            Last year sucked for us. Spouse lost his 4 day work week and we had little time to trap, market was in the dumps too.
                            This year, back to 4 day work week and some days off for serious effort.

Hoping no mt. lions in the meadow this year.

Fresh urine ordered and on the way, bobcat and coyote.
                            Should start next week maybe, for sure Thanksgiving week.
                            We get to trap some beavers too this year, no looking forward to that actually. Best hides are in March- April so these will be kept for tanning.
                            They are damming up the creek in the horse corral and pasture.

Comment

Got some Wind River pan covers welded onto some of our MB550s. Taking a load of trapping supplies up to the ranch for a start maybe next weekend.
                              We've had cold nights, down into single digits last week or so , so fur might be good already. Coyotes will get the emphasis right now though.
                              Fresh urine should be here today.

Comment

Freshened up my sets today, lure/bait/urine.
                                I saw a coyote yesterday when I first got on the ranch after getting off work.
                                No gun but a 9mm pistol.
                                Heard a coyote right at dark tonight in the neighbors to the east. Hit a little Foxpro female coyote howls, hoping to draw the real coyote into the trapping area.

Comment

Working...
                                X