No announcement yet.

Kids & Vacation Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This question reminds me of when my daughter was in kindergarten and missed a week of school because we went to Mexico on a family vacation. When she got back a classmate asked her where she'd been? She said Mexico on vacation and the little girl told her she was a liar because kids weren't allowed to go to Mexico. Lol

We take our kids everywhere. It's impossible to convince them America is the greatest country on earth and they need to be grateful for their blessings if they never get to see first hand how people live in other countries.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

You only get so many summers to vacation with your kids before they are grown. Doesn’t mean it’ll stop but it’ll definitely be different after that. Take as many as you can while they are young.

Comment

I have awesome childhood memories of family vacations driving all over this country, sleeping in a tent and inside of the back of station wagons and such.

Without those to lean on, what memories would I have?

We've practiced the balanced approach, big marker trips (5yr, 10 yr, 15yr, 20yr anniversaries) are just the two of us or with other adults.

Anything else is a family trip, those are the memories that get remembered when the rest of it becomes a blur.
        As is starting to occur in my brain.
        I need to keep mixing it up, anytime we've done the same thing more than once my memory bank can't separate out one trip from the other.

Good Lord willing we've got a hum-dinger planned for next spring when my son get's home from year two of being away at school.
        Last edited by DaveC; 07-25-2022, 06:37 PM.

Comment

The best part about vacation is seeing the excitement in my kids eyes. You’ll have plenty of time to go on vacation alone when they are busy with families of their own. Unless you teach them to leave their kids at home and you get stuck babysitting while your kids vacation

Comment

Originally posted by Diamond07 View Post
            The best part about vacation is seeing the excitement in my kids eyes. You’ll have plenty of time to go on vacation alone when they are busy with families of their own. Unless you teach them to leave their kids at home and you get stuck babysitting while your kids vacation
            That made me lol
            Hell I think my parents enjoy the vacations more with the grandkid than they did with us.

Comment

We did both. Lots of trips with the kids all over the country from Arizona to DC. Cruised at least once a year just the wife and I.

Comment

We make as many memories as possible with our two, and take one trip a year just the two of us. Sometimes it’s a long weekend, sometimes a full week (or more).

My wife and I both had parents that took us on trips as far as their means allowed, and those memories made an imprint on us. Our two children love to travel, and we love bringing them.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutRam2500 View Post
                  This question reminds me of when my daughter was in kindergarten and missed a week of school because we went to Mexico on a family vacation. When she got back a classmate asked her where she'd been? She said Mexico on vacation and the little girl told her she was a liar because kids weren't allowed to go to Mexico. Lol

We take our kids everywhere. It's impossible to convince them America is the greatest country on earth and they need to be grateful for their blessings if they never get to see first hand how people live in other countries.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
                  My two got to learn that by seeing the “skinny cows” in Costa Rica. Completely agree with you!

Comment

My 4 year old has been to 30 or so states. My son who is about to 2 has probably been to 10 states. I can't imagine most trips without them. We aren't taking them to Africa. Not sure they can handle a 16 hour flight.

Comment

To each his/her own (I can see it). My view is you only have them for 18 years and then schedules get where you cannot seem to get together. Out absolute best family memories are family vacations, or our family adventure to Canada for 4 years. I only wish, I had gone on a family vacation every year myself given how fondly we all remember the family vacations we have taken:

*Aransas Pass and South Padres twice
                      *Florida 5 times (beaches, one trip to Disney)
                      *Canada (one trip and one assignment) - Multiple trips inside Canada, Washington State during this time with kids competive Cheer and baseball
                      *Baseball - two big trips for boys
                      * Scottsdale - Christmas family trip to see daughter

Amongst this, the wife and I have been to Canada twice as a couple, 2 trips to Maui and 3 to Vegas.

Going back to Canada Dec 16-23 for Christmas trip. With Haley already working , Cory just graduated and Blake graduating the day before...this may very well be our last true family vacation.
                      Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Only vacation we have ever been on without the kids was our honeymoon

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          Balance…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Yup, take the kids sometimes but also take the time to invest in you and your wife’s relationship.

Comment

I can't imagine never taking the kids as I sit in Ouray next to my girls. Adults only trips are fine, but this is the good ****.

Comment

My kid isnt even 2 yet and we take her on all of our vacations. Time with family is more important to me than time away from my kids. I already work shift work and a ton of overtime plus emergency response training and miss out on time with my daughter. The wife and i will leave her at her grandparents for a night or two and take a quick trip to Austin or the ranch but planned vacations always include my kid.

Comment

Originally posted by MLank View Post
                                I get not taking the kids for a long weekend or such and time away; but I'm dang sure making efforts to spend time away from typical everyday life with my kids on a "vacation".

That being said, taking kids isn't a vacation, it's a trip, and lots of work, and a lot of the time not enjoyable (mine are pretty young, it'll get much better). However, it's memories and bonding that the kids will one day, hopefully, appreciate. Especially if you tailor the type of trip to something they like and want to do.
                                Agree with this!

Comment

Working...
                                X