No announcement yet.

ELR Competitions in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I ever get a 28 built I may give it a go. Thinking a 195 Berger at 3100+ should be pretty competitive at 2000.

Comment

He77, I cant even DRIVE 2 miles without having to PIZZ but I'm in

Plus, I would need a gunbearer, as I couldn't even lift Roberts Chey-Tac

I shot in a "Hunters" rifle match last Saturday, got my azz handed to my by all those young, skinny boys. I need practice.

cant wait till my TBH rifle is done, its gonna be a 1000 yard shooter....when Robert shoots it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
        If I ever get a 28 built I may give it a go. Thinking a 195 Berger at 3100+ should be pretty competitive at 2000.
        That's a proven combo for sure. Don't discount the 180 class offerings either. They may surprise you!

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzsaw View Post
          He77, I cant even DRIVE 2 miles without having to PIZZ but I'm in

Plus, I would need a gunbearer, as I couldn't even lift Roberts Chey-Tac

I shot in a "Hunters" rifle match last Saturday, got my azz handed to my by all those young, skinny boys. I need practice.

cant wait till my TBH rifle is done, its gonna be a 1000 yard shooter....when Robert shoots it!!!
          Buzz,

When it warms up a little bit, we'll start saving our empty gatorade jugs for you

Comment

This sounds like a lot of fun! What caliber rifle would it take to participate (other than rimfire)? Would the 6.5 prc that I am having built work, or does it need to be alot bigger?

Comment

6.5 PRC would get there just fine. May not be very competitive if there’s much wind though. You should be able to get it to 2k when the wind is behaving with the right load. Ive seen the 6.5x47 and 6.5 Creed both taken past 2k on a good day. Personally Ive taken a 6.5x47 to 1818 for my longest. The PRC has a pretty good advantage over either of those though.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                6.5 PRC would get there just fine. May not be very competitive if there’s much wind though. You should be able to get it to 2k when the wind is behaving with the right load. Ive seen the 6.5x47 and 6.5 Creed both taken past 2k on a good day. Personally Ive taken a 6.5x47 to 1818 for my longest. The PRC has a pretty good advantage over either of those though.
                I dont think I would be even close to competitive as a shooter, but it would be fun to try at those ranges, especially if the gear I have or will have will somewhat work.

Comment

Originally posted by Txsurveyor2014 View Post
                  I dont think I would be even close to competitive as a shooter, but it would be fun to try at those ranges, especially if the gear I have or will have will somewhat work.
                  I think most folks tend to surprise themselves when they start stretching it out there. If you can shoot a good group at 100 yards, you are already half way there for shooting a good group at 1,000 yards. If you have a well tuned load with low sd/es numbers, a good ballistics solver and half way decent form, you will be blown away by how easy it is to hit some of the targets at ranges that at first, just sound ridiculous. Especially 1.5 - 2 MOA sized targets. The only real wildcard is the wind - which is an equal opportunity offender Even that can work in your favor sometimes. I have seen some relatively new LR shooters beat out some very seasoned hands due to the simple timing of a wind gust or a sudden shift in direction. It can be anybody's game! I've definitely over-simplified some of it, but it really can be that simple to get started. It's always fun, and you'll learn something new every time.

Comment

Do you need a magnum cased cartridge to get to the limited class ranges?

Comment

Originally posted by texasnavy05 View Post
                      Do you need a magnum cased cartridge to get to the limited class ranges?
                      Without a doubt, the true magnums running heavies will provide a measurable advantage. The farthest target in that class will not exceed 2,000 yards, with most being 1,700 and under. Anything that stays out of the trans-sonic range to 1,700ish will buy you more consistency. As big of a 6.5 fan as I am, the 7's and 300's just have the advantage out there past about 1,600. A 300 Win Mag pushing the 215's will hang in there to the farthest target. The upside there is, a common 1-10 twist will stabilize them, so no need to build something completely purpose driven just to dip your feet in the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                        Without a doubt, the true magnums running heavies will provide a measurable advantage. The farthest target in that class will not exceed 2,000 yards, with most being 1,700 and under. Anything that stays out of the trans-sonic range to 1,700ish will buy you more consistency. As big of a 6.5 fan as I am, the 7's and 300's just have the advantage out there past about 1,600. A 300 Win Mag pushing the 215's will hang in there to the farthest target. The upside there is, a common 1-10 twist will stabilize them, so no need to build something completely purpose driven just to dip your feet in the water.
                        Well, gives me a reason to get a new rifle!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by texasnavy05 View Post
                          Well, gives me a reason to get a new rifle!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                          You say that like you needed a reason

Comment

This is gonna end up costing me a new rifle... A new scope and a whole reloading set up I can already tell...

Comment

Alright, looks like its coming together for one of the W.TX matches I was talking about earlier in the thread! Hawk's Double Mountain Ranch in Rotan,Tx will be hosting this one. Hope some of you guys can make it out to this one. The one mile challenge in Cresson was a ton of fun last month, and I'll bet this one is going to be even better. The pay-outs should be great!

Unlimited class on Friday, May 10th (anything up to 50 cal and up to 3,600 yards)

Limited class on Saturday, May 11th (anything up to 338 Lapua and up to 1,800 yards)

Just for reference, 2 of the top 3 finishers last month were running 7mm variants, so it proves my point that you don't need a cannon to be competitive in the limited class. An accurate rig and a scope with enough travel to get you to 1,800 yards will get you in the game from an equipment standpoint.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                                Alright, looks like its coming together for one of the W.TX matches I was talking about earlier in the thread! Hawk's Double Mountain Ranch in Rotan,Tx will be hosting this one. Hope some of you guys can make it out to this one. The one mile challenge in Cresson was a ton of fun last month, and I'll bet this one is going to be even better. The pay-outs should be great!

Unlimited class on Friday, May 10th (anything up to 50 cal and up to 3,600 yards)

Limited class on Saturday, May 11th (anything up to 338 Lapua and up to 1,800 yards)

Just for reference, 2 of the top 3 finishers last month were running 7mm variants, so it proves my point that you don't need a cannon to be competitive in the limited class. An accurate rig and a scope with enough travel to get you to 1,800 yards will get you in the game from an equipment standpoint.

Hmmm.........Hawks gives me a month to get a 300 RUM load worked up, and we could stay at the farm 28 miles away!

Comment

Working...
                                X