Sirloin from a horse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sirloin from a horse?

Yesterday I read that the meat market would be going up in prices.

Today I hopped on the Traeger Owner's Facebook page to see someone bragging about eating a horse.

In this new COVID world with $1.12 gas and 0 sporting events... Is it new, or have folks always been eating horse meat?

The comments range from, "who the hell eats such a noble animal," to, "horse is a delicacy in other cultures."

So... I figured some of yall would eat just about anything. Anyone eating horse these days? If so, how is it? They are saying better than beef.
    Last edited by ctom87; 05-07-2020, 06:52 PM. Reason: Wee woo wee woo... Grammar policing myself.

I’ve never had it, but I wouldn’t decline. Friend of mine had it and said it was fantastic

Comment

Man the old Calhoun plant in Palestine slaughters tens of thousands of horses. Shipped most to France. Probably ate some in Vienna sausage back when it was legal. They are a prey animal and no doubt would be good eating.

Comment

I've heard several people say zebra is some of the best meat in Africa.

Comment

I've eaten zebra. I don't even like horses so I'd be happy to eat one.

Comment

no horse for me, rather shoot a deer

Comment

Most other countries it’s eaten. Even in Europe, for example Switzerland and France, they even have separate butcher stores for horse than all other meats. My family rides, we have 9 horses, I’m down to eat about 7 of them. I don’t ride and have to pay the feed bill...

Comment

Horse is supposed to be really good.

It's funny that we are so pampered (especially being hunters) that we scoff at the idea of eating an animal.

Comment

It was on the menu when I was in Albania this year. I really wanted to try it but just couldn’t bring myself to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                    Horse is supposed to be really good.

It's funny that we are so pampered (especially being hunters) that we scoff at the idea of eating an animal.
                    I gave up scoffing a few years back. However I will occasionally turn my nose up at something, when the weathers right.

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
                      I gave up scoffing a few years back. However I will occasionally turn my nose up at something, when the weathers right.

Comment

My nephew is a guide at a place in South Texas. Lots of exotics on the place, including zebra. He says it’s delicious.

Comment

I read that Comanche and Apache would decline pork from the homesteads but would readily eat horse, mule, or donkey.

Comment

Can’t attest to the nobility part, but people kill far more majestic animals for a lot less.... considering they take a bullet for a broken leg, I don’t see a problem with consumption

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ate it many years ago, flamed at the table by the chef.
                              It was outstanding, Understand it is regular table fare in most of the world.
                              The plains Indians regularly ate horse when buffalo was not available

Comment

Working...
                              X