Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for home builders or people who built a home recently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are they generally bad at communication? I’m beginning to think I may be a little needy but want to see if I’m expecting too much or is this just the norm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Send me a Pm about what you think your needy about. I build and dont mind giving my 2 cents.

Comment

You are normal, I felt the same way when I was building last house. My exsperience the builders communication is horrible but again they have multiple projects going and we only care about 1, the house we are building. Have fun, I enjoyed the process.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by g2outfitter View Post
        You are normal, I felt the same way when I was building last house. My exsperience the builders communication is horrible but again they have multiple projects going and we only care about 1, the house we are building. Have fun, I enjoyed the process.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
        You think every builder has multiple projects going on?

Comment

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
          You think every builder has multiple projects going on?

I would think you would have to unless you’re building 2 really big houses per year. I guess the other option is you sub out less work.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
            I would think you would have to unless you’re building 2 really big houses per year. I guess the other option is you sub out less work.

I build 2-3 houses in a 12 month time frame. Im not a big timer by any means. I just try my best to build quality homes.

Comment

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
              I build 2-3 houses in a 12 month time frame. Im not a big timer by any means. I just try my best to build quality homes.

That’s a good living and you’re probably on top of your chit. I can count 6 that I know of that my builder is doing or finishing right now since December. I signed the contract on 11-19-19 and I’m still working on electrical on 5-1-2020 with a June 1 finish date.

Last edited by Black Ice; 05-01-2020, 11:46 PM.

Comment

That’s a good living and you’re probably on top of your chit. I can count 6 that I know of that my builder is doing or finishing right now since December. I signed the contract on 11-19-19 and I’m still working on electrical on 5-1-2020 with a June 1 finish date.

Dam man, thats to long. Ill pm you my number and feel free to call me after lunch tomm. I dont mind at all.

Comment

Wow, seems like it’s running way behind! I’ve built a lot of houses, pm me if you want on specs (sqft, custom, etc)

If you are still at electrical, what stage of electrical? Rough, trim? Hopefully not rough meaning you haven’t sheet rocked

Comment

Originally posted by klooney View Post
                    Wow, seems like it’s running way behind! I’ve built a lot of houses, pm me if you want on specs (sqft, custom, etc)

If you are still at electrical, what stage of electrical? Rough, trim? Hopefully not rough meaning you haven’t sheet rocked

Sheet rock has been delivered and stacked throughout the house. 3517 living 5133 under roof.

Comment

There are A LOT of different things that go into the time frame, but that sounds a little slow. What day did they pour the slab?

The clock doesn’t really start until they pour.
                      Last edited by Dale Moser; 05-02-2020, 02:54 AM.

Comment

My wife and I just finished our house. Started moving dirt Dec 2nd. We just moved in yesterday. 4464 square feet under AC. That was a 6 month build that we pushed everyday possible to get done. I'm in commercial construction but GC'd everything myself. My wife owns a pool building company but worked for a custom home builder in the past. She handled ordering and scheduling trades. Sent out emails on Monday and Thursday with timelines, schedules and expectations. It went really smooth.

We also have a 2400 sqft shop so we took order of all flooring, tile, plumbing and electrical fixtures and stored them on site. I did this for two reasons. First I wanted control of all material. Didn't want to be held up waiting on something. Two, Corona hit right in the middle of the build. I was worried we might get shut down and wouldn't get materials to finish.

We were talking last night and I honestly could think of a day we were held up or trades didnt show. That is not the norm and we got lucky there. I was on site everyday all day long and pushed as hard as I could. Its obviously different when it your home. I need a mental and physical break now as I am really worn down.

Getting to sheetrock felt like we were on the home stretch. Little did I know that was still early on. The finish out of flooring, tile, paint, etc feel like they drag on. I was hoping to finish in 5 months it took 6. Our build would take 12 months if I had hired a builder. If I was building it again for someone else I would tell them 8 to 9 months as it wasn't fun pushing that hard day after day.

One last statement. I learned how different commercial and residential are. Residential is much slower and not as much planning/thinking by trades. My wife was not in agreement in the beginning and thought it would take 9 months at best to build.
                        Last edited by Take Dead Aim; 05-02-2020, 07:26 AM.

Comment

You think communication is bad now, wait til house is complete and you have a year to make a punch list. Ghosts

Comment

As a Superintendent for a tract builder we carried 6-14 homes at a time. Talk about multi -tasking!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                              There are A LOT of different things that go into the time frame, but that sounds a little slow. What day did they pour the slab?

The clock doesn’t really start until they pour.
                              November the 29th they had the lot scraped and the pad formed.

Last edited by Black Ice; 05-02-2020, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X