Shop Air Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shop Air Lines

For those that have ran air lines in your shop from the compressor to hose reels in different locations around your shop, what kind of piping did you use?

Rapid Air Piping

Comment

I used sch 40 pvc

Comment

1/2" PVC Schedule 40. Rated at 600 psi.

Comment

schd 40 pvc - 1/2"

Comment

I used PVC also but I here it's not recommended but it's lasted 10 years so far.

Comment

Everything I read says not to use pvc, so I assume none of you guys have had an issue with using it?

Comment

PVC is fine until it's not. Turns to shrapnel. I'll be running PEX if I ever make myself do it. Blue aluminum lined specialty air line is sexy but spendy. I like being able to grab what I need at Home Depot.

Comment

Never would I use PVC - air lines are subjective to a lot of stress cycles. When it finally let’s go it explodes.

Just because a pipe says it’s rated for 600 psi only means if it’s a completely straight run of pipe - turns create complex pipe stress that can drastically reduce the pressure rating of pipe.

Sure people have gotten away with it for years but it’s a really bad idea.

Buy steel or copper pipe or just run rated hose.

Comment

Steel.

Comment

I ordered the rapid air kit from Northern Tool.

Comment

I've installed lines for other folks (I just have a hose reel with enough hose to reach anywhere in the shop at my folks' place)

I've installed copper with sweat fittings, and also black pipe (like natural gas uses) Both worked fantastic.

When I build a big shop of my own, I will use a Rapid Air or similar type of system.

The other thing I've heard of folks using, is using the air line from 18 wheelers. It's very similar to the Rapid Air, and seems to be really durable.

PVC is rated for PSI of water pressure. Fluid pressure is different than air pressure in the effects it has on raceway from what I gather. I wouldn't use it. The price is sure attractive, but the risk is scary when you start reading the stories of it failing.

Comment

Transair! But it aint cheap

Comment

Several friends have rapid air and I will be using the same

Comment

I used pex-al-pex. Its pex made for airlines. Very easy to run and was relatively cheap. We use air all day every day.

Comment

Working...
                              X