livestock feed in barrels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

livestock feed in barrels

I am planning on putting my livestock feed into steel 55 gallon barrels to keep it away from the mice. My plan was to get the barrels with the lid. The barrels will be kept in my feed room which is not climate controlled. It is pretty much open to the outside air.

Most of our feed comes in paper bags and is allowed to breath. I am wondering if I will cause it to go bad or grow mold if I put in a barrel with a lid. I have had several of my deer feeders turn to a big blob of black muck when I use to have them sealed at the top. I now use the breathable lids on top of the feeders.

Depends on how long you plan to keep feed in barrels
    A week probably no problem, stretch that to a month and you are looking at possible issues. Especially in warmer months

I used to buy bulk feed and put it in 55gal drums with lids. Lasted about a month before it started getting mold on top.

Breathable lid will probably extend your time frame

I guess weevils and other bugs are in the feed when you buy it because they otherwise can get through metal

Comment

I have done that for about the last 50 years. Unless you let it get wet or keep it for a very long time you will be fine.

-john

Comment

We buy feed usually every 2 months.

I guess I don't have to seal it. I just need a top on it so the mice can't get in. I could even drill holes in the top to let it breath.

Comment

We've done this for years. True barrel lids are way too much a PITA. You can get super heavy rubber lids that basically just cover the barrel. Our feed 'room' is open on one end. Heavy rain and it's getting wet. Never had a drop of moisture inside and no rats. For thr short time we had a coon problem, a cinder block on top kept it safe.

Comment

done it for years here also; no holes no breathing....no issues.....but there is no old stock either...always rotate with the new stuff

Comment

Father in law uses plastic barrels with a piece of plywood for a lid.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                Father in law uses plastic barrels with a piece of plywood for a lid.

What we did for years before we bought a metal bin to keep the sacks in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use the blue plastic barrels with screw on lids. work great and will never rust out.

Comment

Keep your eyes out for a non working chest type freezer. They are great for feed storage.

Comment

I've had more moisture problems with metal barrels than with plastic, I'm thinking metal reacts quicker to temp change therefore causing more condensation issues.

Comment

Originally posted by jimned View Post
                        Keep your eyes out for a non working chest type freezer. They are great for feed storage.
                        I have one in victoria if anyone is interested

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

We store our feed in plastic drums and have never had an issue. I have a little 30 gal drum with screw on lid that we take with us when we travel for rodeos.

Comment

Originally posted by jimned View Post
                            This is what we use. Work great

Comment

Thanks. I would love a freezer. I just wish it were closer.

Comment

Working...
                              X