No announcement yet.

Dewberries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did not get enough to fill one tub this year. I figured we would get a lot with all of the rain this year. Last year we got something like 11 quarts.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
      Sorry Doug, just now seeing this.
      Got them online from Stark Brothers. There are several places to order while in season, but these guys ship fast overnight and their plants are healthy. Tried a couple others but came back to Stark.
      This variety is Prime-Ark Freedom. They are a fruiting thornless primocane blackberry.

https://www.starkbros.com/products/b...ckberry-plants
      Do the deer eat them? I want to get more blackberries in my yard but I have a deer problem.

Comment

[QUOTE=SaltwaterSlick;14880208]Mine are actually his old style with the single post and double wires with spreaders. Only pic I have that sort of shows the wires is this one, before I put in all the spreaders and tightened the wires...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7402.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	24617844

This is a comparison of regular Dewberries with my Prime Ark Freedom thornless primocane blackberries...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7338.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	24617845

Thank you sir! Planning on building a privacy fence next year and I was wanting to plant some stuff on it, I think I can do 5 or 6 plants and set up some wires for them to hang onto.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
          Do the deer eat them? I want to get more blackberries in my yard but I have a deer problem.
          I have the same concern about the deer. As it is now, I can’t keep them out of the flower bed.

Comment

Originally posted by Das71198 View Post
            I have the same concern about the deer. As it is now, I can’t keep them out of the flower bed.

Guys, I have deer too, but so far they haven't messed with my berries. Only issue I've had is raccoons. They hit 'em one year, but I put out half a dozen Duke's and caught a whole family one night and haven't had a coon problem since.

Originally posted by Scubasteveo View Post

Thank you sir! Planning on building a privacy fence next year and I was wanting to plant some stuff on it, I think I can do 5 or 6 plants and set up some wires for them to hang onto.
            Remember the canes (vines) of a berry plant (blackberries or dewberries) only live 2 years. The put out a pimocane the first year, then the second season it becomes a floracane and bears fruit and dies. The following year all the new growth then bears fruit and dies, so they are constantly putting on new growth with the old growth dying... This variety fruits on the primocanes too so you get 2 crops of berries out of each cane before it dies. If you put 'em on a fence, they're not like grapes, you'll have to clean off the old canes each winter otherwise it will be a bramble of old dead canes and will make a mess in a few years...

Comment

Remember the canes (vines) of a berry plant (blackberries or dewberries) only live 2 years. The put out a pimocane the first year, then the second season it becomes a floracane and bears fruit and dies. The following year all the new growth then bears fruit and dies, so they are constantly putting on new growth with the old growth dying... This variety fruits on the primocanes too so you get 2 crops of berries out of each cane before it dies. If you put 'em on a fence, they're not like grapes, you'll have to clean off the old canes each winter otherwise it will be a bramble of old dead canes and will make a mess in a few years...

Good to know, thanks!
              Last edited by Scubasteveo; 05-21-2020, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Guys, I have deer too, but so far they haven't messed with my berries. Only issue I've had is raccoons. They hit 'em one year, but I put out half a dozen Duke's and caught a whole family one night and haven't had a coon problem since.

I ordered 15 Plants, going to put them in raised beds and hopefully will get some berries later this year. Thanks for all the info.

Comment

I ordered 15 Plants, going to put them in raised beds and hopefully will get some berries later this year. Thanks for all the info.
                  Cool. Keep us posted.

Comment

Dewberries

Got my raised beds put in, boxes made for my blueberry bushes and blackberry plants have been delivered. Will get them planted next week. Looking forward to next Summer to enjoy the fruits of all this labor!

Comment

These look great! Is the mesh-like material for keeping the critters out? If so, what did you use?

Comment

Got my raised beds put in, boxes made for my blueberry bushes and blackberry plants have been delivered. Will get them planted next week. Looking forward to next Summer to enjoy the fruits of all this labor!

That looks great! I got some blueberries planted but couldn't find any blackberries. Thosewill come soon as I can get some.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                          These look great! Is the mesh-like material for keeping the critters out? If so, what did you use?
                          It’s just fencing cut into short sections. I used an organic fertilizer and my dang dogs will tear up the beds eating it, so had to fence them out.

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
                            That looks great! I got some blueberries planted but couldn't find any blackberries. Thosewill come soon as I can get some.
                            I ordered mine from Stark Bros. Saltwater Slick posted a link on the first page. The PrimeArk Freedom, thornless. They say they’re not compatible to our zone, but the way Slick’s growing them they sure seem compatible.

Comment

I ordered mine from Stark Bros. Saltwater Slick posted a link on the first page. The PrimeArk Freedom, thornless. They say they’re not compatible to our zone, but the way Slick’s growing them they sure seem compatible.
                              Interesting! Theres where I looked and ordered my blueberries. I may get a few and try them.

Comment

I ordered the prime ark travelers through Stark brother. Mine have been doing good.

Comment

Working...
                                X