No announcement yet.

Employer and employee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will add a little to my cynicism from above.

I'm usually by myself managing multiple jobs at a time. I once took a full one week vacation. The price to pay in repairing messed up jobs when i returned was too great. So, from that time on i've just taken long weekends when they are feasible. I work as many in as i can during the fall. But i never use all my available days.

Several years ago i had a job in which i worked a lot of hours, did a great job, and got a few little rewards. But, i didn't take much time off. A few days before Christmas my immediate boss called me and said the President wanted to see me, and could i go to the corporate office. I went dark cloud right away. I told my boss that if i was getting fired to just tell me. I didn't need to go to the office for that. No, just go to the office, so i did.

The President calls me into his office and tells me: "You know we tell you all the time that we appreciate you and your effort. Well, money talks and BS walks." He then slid an envelope across his desk and asked me to open it. It was a totally unexpected bonus equal to about 10%, net, of my annual salary. Wow. He told me that i earned it, not to assume it would be there every year, and shook my hand and said Thank You.

Needless, he had me. I got that perk for four years. We were absorbed by a bigger company. Their philosophy was more along the lines of people are replaceable commodities. I didn't last long once the acquisition was completed. It is nice to have effort, and more importantly results, recognized.

No, we don't always get what we want. But, sometimes we get other things in exchange. If you don't feel like you're being treated "right", explore your options. But be careful, whatever the situation, it can always be worse.

I'm done...

Comment

You need to stand up for what’s right, I told my boss I’m only working 1/2 day fridays from here on out. He didn’t say anything. I should have done this years ago

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
        Tough crowd around here....

As an employee with PTO, you should be able to take that time off without being harassed. I know most employers don't understand that though.
        PTO = Benefit
        Benefit = Optional
        Optional = Employer Dictates Rules

Comment

Originally posted by gspbrad View Post
          I just don't get the logic - it's a benefit, you've earned it, you can have it, but at the employers discretion? Then why doesn't an employer pick and choose when you get to use medical benefits, when they match on a 401K, when they decide to meet payroll, holiday pay, etc.

The mindset of holding PTO over someone's head for the company's discretion tells me it's more about an organization hasn't thought through business continuity planning, redundancy, forecasting, cross training, etc. If a business model is so fragile PTO approval comes down to convenience or safety of the company, then the business is already in trouble.
          I couldn't disagree with you more but I'm guessing you've only managed "non-essential" businesses. In healthcare, no workers = avoidable death. While this guy isn't in the healthcare industry, your remarks are pretty narrow minded. There are plenty of healthcare providers that have very sound business with very sound models. They have contingency plans, redundancy, on call rotations, contract staffing agencies, forecasting and cross-training, etc. And they will honor PTO requested in advance but not a whim because someone woke up and the weather was nice. Calling off, the morning of, b/c the waters are calm isn't doing anyone a favor and certainty isn't an emergent situation.

OP for what its worth there was a time I in my life I was in your shoes. Now I own the business. How many times did I get to sit the stand this year when the front hit or the rain let up??? A big fat 0.

OP last nugget of wisdom I have for you...take it as a compliment. Folks ride their best horse the hardest.

Comment

Originally posted by JBJTX81 View Post
            PTO = Benefit

Benefit = Optional

Optional = Employer Dictates Rules

I couldn't disagree with you more but I'm guessing you've only managed "non-essential" businesses. In healthcare, no workers = avoidable death. While this guy isn't in the healthcare industry, your remarks are pretty narrow minded. There are plenty of healthcare providers that have very sound business with very sound models. They have contingency plans, redundancy, on call rotations, contract staffing agencies, forecasting and cross-training, etc. And they will honor PTO requested in advance but not a whim because someone woke up and the weather was nice. Calling off, the morning of, b/c the waters are calm isn't doing anyone a favor and certainty isn't an emergent situation.

OP for what its worth there was a time I in my life I was in your shoes. Now I own the business. How many times did I get to sit the stand this year when the front hit or the rain let up??? A big fat 0.

OP last nugget of wisdom I have for you...take it as a compliment. Folks ride their best horse the hardest.

Are you the type that brags “I haven’t taken a day off in 30 years!”?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
              You can work for 50 years. Be loyal. Retire or fall over dead. They'll replace you tomorrow. Enjoy life and dictate your own work-life balance.
              Bingo...life isn't a hard labor sentence.

Comment

Over the years I've hunted and fished with quite a few of those.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                  Over the years I've hunted and fished with quite a few of those.

I’m sorry [emoji23]

I worked for (and with) several [emoji1361]

Comment

Nope. I definitely take vacation. But each vacation I've taken was planned in advanced and executed in such a manner that its impact on the organization was negligible.

Comment

I’d work for this guy ^^

Well said
                      Same here!

Comment

I have over two decades experience as a Healthcare Executive ......

I'm going to follow Mark Twain's advice .....Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

Comment

Originally posted by gspbrad View Post
                          I have over two decades experience as a Healthcare Executive ......

I'm going to follow Mark Twain's advice .....Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”
                          Glad to know all the ICU charge nurses you may have managed were able to call off on whim, use PTO, and perhaps be "on the phone for an hr from the boat" and everything was just copacetic.

I'm sure your model worked well for the specific circumstances of the department/s you oversaw with your organization.

But to slam everyone and claim ifailure to grant PTO on the basis of a good weather day equates to poor planning and a failing business is a little foolish

[emoji1635] Brad, Bird Dogs and Mark Twain!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have had a long and prosperous career with the company I work for. I think I have most of the good things going for me that you point out about yourself. I have never had a problem with scheduling PTO/vacation. But it has to be scheduled at least a day in advance. Meaning no call-in @ 4am unless I'm sick. Someone has to cover each spot on the roster.

Comment

Employer and employee

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
                              You work for them, and it’s their rules.

Play the game or find another job.

I hear your frustrations, however, every company that employs tradesmen have a busy time (outage, shutdowns, construction, etc.). They have schedules to meet and looming deadlines. Why would you think you’ve earned the right to “go fishing” when they need you the most?

Again, I understand your frustration. There are all different levels of worker and you sound like a good one. You want to be treated a certain way you feel you have earned. Take a closer look at your relationship with your employer. Maybe you already get special treatment and just aren’t seeing it.

I got tired of having to go into a pool by seniority to book vacation and have all holiday weeks blacked out for 12 years. We could also not have any more than two pole off with 35 of us booking vacation.

Instead of leaving the company I went into sales and now I can take off whenever I want and got an extra week of vacation. I also usually never take vacation for my travel days to the ranch during hunting season or for my regular vacations. Ends up adding at least 2 weeks to my 5 weeks of vacation but I always answer calls and return emails ever on vacation.

Being on the management side with actual work to do that someone is relying on it’s a royal pain to have someone take unscheduled time off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by Black Ice; 05-19-2020, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
                                Yes,you are wrong.
                                pshh yeah right. Not even close.

Comment

Working...
                                X