Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for the Home Builders; Need some help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the Home Builders; Need some help!

I don't often post things like this but I'm looking for some insight/advice from those in the know.

In January 2019 we bought a new house. It is from a custom builder, but this was a spec home that was very near completion when we signed the papers, so we didn't have time to make many changes. One thing we wanted to do was upgrade the floors, which the builder had wood floors selected. We explained that we have dogs and kids and want to be sure that the floor would hold up. We offered to pay the extra for a different floor, not looking for a freebie, but we were assured by the project mangers's bosses boss that the floor was great and would be fine. We do the final walk through the day before closing and everything looks great. The next day we go close and then get the keys. First thing we notice when we go in are gouges in the wood floor from the cleaning crew. The sales lady came to the house and she saw these gouges before one item was brought in. The builder replaced the boards that were gouged, but this should have been a sign if the floors couldn't stand up to the cleaning crew. Fast forward to today, and our floors look like they are 10 years old. Finish coming off, and scratches everywhere there is traffic. We have a 2 year warranty, so I had the PM there for another item yesterday. While he was there I told him that these floors were unacceptable and gave him the background story. He said he would pass it up the food chain. I am waiting for a callback now for the bosses boss that told us everything would be fine.

This is a high end builder that told us how they stand behind their work and how great their after the sale service is, so we will see if that is true. I have made clear that I want them to replace the floor. I realize that we paid for the original floor, and what we want will cost more from a material standpoint. I have said that I am not looking for anything free, I just want it right and want to be happy. I did not tell them this, but I would be willing to pay the difference in material cost for the upgrade, but in the end we tried to change the floors from the onset, and they told us no. I think they already had the floor purchased and had no other place to use it at the time.

For those that know the business and have been through similar situations, what advice to you have, and what is the likely hood that they will do the right thing? Is there anything that I should be saying that will increase my leverage? Like I said this house was a lot of money, so I would expect a different level of service and commitment to their product.

Nail down, hand scraped / finished wood? Or, glue down / prefinished?

Comment

From a self protection standpoint, get everything that transpired in an email, or written down. Call the PM/Builder, and tell them your concern, tell them you are going to send a timeline of what happened, and send them that list of what happened. That way it is on record and both parties have it.

I hope it doesn't come to it, but if you go to litigation, that timeline of events is going to be critical. The builder is going to have its final walk punchlist, and will be able to say they completed the punchlist, and everything was good when they gave you the keys.

But I wouldn't stress about it getting fixed too much yet, give them a week to get back to you.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
        Nail down, hand scraped / finished wood? Or, glue down / prefinished?
        It's the glued down engineered stufff.

Comment

As with most products, there are many grades of glue down wood floors. Most of them look pretty nice to begin with. Some are more durable than others. Some are much more durable than others. If you actually closed on the house in January of '19, i wouldn't expect the builder to do much. You're roughly 16 months into the house?

I try to always let my people know that wood floors and pets, specifically dogs, are a bad match. If the floors looked good at closing, and the builder made closing related repairs, that's all most builders will do. But without seeing the floors, it's hard to know if the damage is what would be expected, or more substantial. It's always easy to second guess and say what woulda, coulda, shoulda, been done. But in this case, i'd say you'd have been better served getting the floors you knew you'd need. Whether in that house or another one.

Good luck with it all.

Comment

Are the floors popping up/buckling at all?

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
              Are the floors popping up/buckling at all?
              There's a couple of spots where it sounds hollow, so I know there is not good glue coverage underneath, but they aren't popping up. I have no doubt they would fix this in a heartbeat, but that's not issue. The issue is we said we wanted something different, and were willing to pay for it, but they more or less said there was no reason because their product was up to it. And it's not.

I do know they changed the floor in a neighbors house for a similar reason. Neighbors talk, which is a good thing.

Comment

Working...
              X