New man cave decor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New man cave decor

My uncle called the other day and said he had an old outboard motor that wasn't any good anymore and asked if I wanted it. Come to find out, it was my great grandfathers first outboard. A 1955 Johnson seahorse 10hp. Of course I wanted it. Picked it up yesterday and started working on it. Plan is to make it as light as possible, clean it up, paint, new decals and hang it on the wall. I got the engine pulled off and it's still fairly heavy. I'm going to have to build a pretty hefty mount for it so I think I'm going to make it sticks out from the wall about 2' then wrap skin around the mount to look like an old wooden boat with the motor mounted to the transom. Anyhow here it was when I picked it up yesterday, and how it sits now.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

In for this

I've got a plan for one of my granddad old engines. Thought was to chop the end off an old john boat, brace it up and mount to the wall (I have 14 foot ceilings) and hang it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Man that’s cool. In for the finish product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cool idea. In for the finished product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Very cool. Cant wait to see it finished!

Comment

Looks like real challenge...Hope you got lots of Drill bits and easeouts and wd40....Goodluck

Comment

Cool, following.

Comment

Hopefully the motor will look similar to this... In fact hopefully the whole thing will look similar to this, except hanging out of the wall.

Comment

Build you a Transom out of wood, patterned after an old wood boat like in the picture. Mahe it long enough so thew motor will sit on it and clear the wall. Probably find tons of pictures of old boats in the internet.

Comment

Cool outboard. I love the old ones.
                        I have an old 50s Evinrude from my dad that is a blue color with the white cowling. Plan is when I finally buy some land and build my man cave to recreate a 14' wooden vhull duck boat with outboard on it. The boat will just be one side wall about 1-2 feet deep to the wall and make a shelf on top to hold all my antique decoys. Hard to explain but I think it will look good when finished.
                        In for your project.

Comment

I'm in, following to see how it turns out.

Comment

This has been on the back burner for a while, but I'm back at it. Got the paint stripped, then had to build a bracket to hold the callen in place since I removed the engine. Having trouble matching paint just right, can't find the paint code. This is where I'm at right now on the motor, going to get new paint tomorrow, needs more green in it. Also got my bracket built, and painted. My dad built me some boat shelves when I was a kid, I'm going to cut one of them down to use, you can see the bracket fit in it in one picture. This is where it stands for now. Waiting on paint to dry on mounting bracket to fit back into boat to mark my cuts. Hopefully the boat will be hanging on the wall today. Motor should be done tomorrow if I can find a paint color I like.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X