X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check out bergara premiers as well

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
      Full custom and a production rifle are kind of opposite ends of the spectrum.
      The Kimbers are nice if you like the Mauser action and the Mountain Ascent is 5lbs. 10oz. out of the box for about $1,700.
      You'll get more rifle for the $4k-$5k the other options you're looking at will set you back. The Christensen won't get you under 6 lbs. if that's a priority.

I’m not really sure that there is a broad spectrum to be on opposite ends of based on the OP’s stated wants/needs. He wants a sub-6 pound rifle in 280 ai. No other items are specified. I’ve owned custom rifles from several builders (some have been listed/recommended in this thread). Nothing wrong with them AT ALL. But there is no NEED to spend the type of money that a full custom will demand in order to meet the OP’s requirements.

I’m all for folks spending their own money how they see fit. If I were in the OP’s shoes I’d be buying an ultralight production rifle from a reputable manufacturer. Spend the money you saved by not going full custom and put that towards the trophy fee on a mountain caribou while on your Dall hunt. The production gun will likely hold more of its value as a percentage of original cost as well.

Comment

Originally posted by snipermedic View Post
        Check out bergara premiers as well
        Bergara makes the Mountain Rifle in 280 AI. It’s 6.2 lbs, but a great value at sub $2K. $1900 seems to be street price. I wouldn’t hesitate to carry one.

Comment

Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post
          I’m not really sure that there is a broad spectrum to be on opposite ends of based on the OP’s stated wants/needs.
          Let me revise that to opposite ends of the [very narrow] spectrum that is sub-6 lb. long action rifles.

Comment

I appreciate all the suggestions from everyone. I have a lot of research to do, but atleast have a bit of time to decide. I am not opposed to factory, but also would like a special rifle for the hunt. Always a good reason for a new gun..

Comment

What about the barrett fieldcraft? In a 270 winchester, 25-06, 30-06? - that's plenty for a sheep

Seems to get good reviews and especially at a street price of around $1,350

Comment

Originally posted by cb4128 View Post
                What about the barrett fieldcraft? In a 270 winchester, 25-06, 30-06? - that's plenty for a sheep

I was gonna say this, but didn't think he was looking for something like that. I've got one in a Swede and its a real shooter.

Comment

Match Grade in Houston (MGA), get their ultralight, accurate and very light

Comment

Originally posted by cb4128 View Post

Heard plenty of good about them, and no bad yet. Which is unusual for Barrett lol definitely would be on my radar if I was in the market for a extra lightweight mountain rifle.

Comment

Been consulting on custom rifle builds for 25 years and here’s another option.... if you have $5000 to spend on the custom rifle Go For It it’s your money.

If you want to save $$ on the rifle, which can be used towards taxidermy work or additional game tags, look into a Colt Light Rifle. Designed by Melvin Forbes of Ultra Light Arms. Long action rifles with 22” Douglas XX match grade barrels chambered in 270, 30-06, 7mag, and 300WM. Rifle with lightweight Talley supplied rings weighs 5.75 lbs. If you break it, lose it, destroy it ... you’re only out $550 - $600.

If you have to have a 280AI, but the CLR for $575, send it to PacNor and Chris will true the action and install a select match barrel for $625. Since it’s your money, spend it how you wish.

Defiance, Pierce, Borden, etc.... all make awesome Titanium actions ; however the action alone will cost you $1600-2000

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                        Been consulting on custom rifle builds for 25 years and here’s another option.... if you have $5000 to spend on the custom rifle Go For It it’s your money.

If you want to save $$ on the rifle, which can be used towards taxidermy work or additional game tags, look into a Colt Light Rifle. Designed by Melvin Forbes of Ultra Light Arms. Long action rifles with 22” Douglas XX match grade barrels chambered in 270, 30-06, 7mag, and 300WM. Rifle with lightweight Talley supplied rings weighs 5.75 lbs. If you break it, lose it, destroy it ... you’re only out $550 - $600.

If you have to have a 280AI, but the CLR for $575, send it to PacNor and Chris will true the action and install a select match barrel for $625. Since it’s your money, spend it how you wish.

Defiance, Pierce, Borden, etc.... all make awesome Titanium actions ; however the action alone will cost you $1600-2000
                        Interesting approach, Blake. How about the same with a Forbes 24B?

Comment

Kimber MA or Tikka T3 SL would be my pick for an off the shelf rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                            Interesting approach, Blake. How about the same with a Forbes 24B?
                            Melvin's NULA24 is an awesome built rifle that costs $3600

No clue on his lead or delivery time, but they are in very high demand

Comment

I think you should definitely go talk to Robert at APR (stick1 on here)... If memory serves, 280AI is a bit of a pet of his.

Look at the lone peak titanium action, proof carbon barrel, get a carbon fiber stock...

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                                I think you should definitely go talk to Robert at APR (stick1 on here)... If memory serves, 280AI is a bit of a pet of his.

Look at the lone peak titanium action, proof carbon barrel, get a carbon fiber stock...
                                I have wanted a Webernick or a Forbes rifle for a long time, but when I draw my sheep tag I’ll be having Robert build me a mountain rifle in 280AI or 270.

Comment

Working...
                                X