My dog helped on this one.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dog helped on this one.

About mid-December, a little black terrier mix looking dog showed up at the ranch at about 11 p.m. . She stuck around and I started feeding her. Took her to the vet to get her checked out and get a rabies shot, and she is chipped and spayed. Find the company through which the chip is registered and notify them of the found dog. No response. I am treating her like she's my dog, though I plan to make another attempt at finding the owner, although the chip thing I figured would find them right away.
    I changed jobs within the last several months and have been spending a lot more time at the ranch. I take the dog out walking in the brush and so forth and she has helped me in trapping coyotes. She found a urine post for me.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200207_193249.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	25205781
    This is not the actual bush that I set on, but this is another one that she found. I didn't get a picture of her finding the first one.
    The big red circle is the scent bush, the little circle is a small weed that I wiped Cavin's Violator 7 onto, and the X is the trap location.

Name:	20200207_193600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	25205782
    I put the set out Wednesday afternoon and caught this coyote sometime today after 4:30 am. I checked the trap this morning and there was nothing.

Name:	20200207_185052.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	25205780

I like to take a male with me when setting, he makes scent post, the male coyotes can't hardly stand it, especially once they start scratching.

Comment

Often times the dogs that find us are the best ones.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
        Often times the dogs that find us are the best ones.

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
          I like to take a male with me when setting, he makes scent post, the male coyotes can't hardly stand it, especially once they start scratching.
          I bought a trapping video made by JC Connor, and he mentions that very thing. Craig O'Gorman also talks about having a trapline dog in his book, Hoofbeats of a Wolfer. O'Gorman says that not only do they smell stuff that you can't possibly smell, but he has also had dogs that have grabbed coyotes that busted out of his old (weak) government traps right when he gets up to them.

Comment

Looks like you got a great buddy! [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X