No announcement yet.

Dead deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took my dog to look for a deer that a hunter couldn't find. The dog took off into the wind not trailing. Found the deer 50 yards away but it was his buddy's deer that he shot 2 days earlier and couldn't find. Had to go back and start over to find his deer.

Comment

No

Comment

No. Put a game camera on a gut pile or a pile of carcasses.. You will get pics of deer I'd bet..

Comment

Originally posted by bcj jones View Post
          I guess that answers my question! Funny how they can be so smart and so dumb at the same time! Thanks y'all
          When I shot a doe at my place in Brady a few weeks ago, every single deer that I saw come in to my feeder acted spooky. They walked right up to where she was laying and would just stare. I drug her to the road I left her to go grab the 4 wheeler. The next morning I had deer circling to a spot that they usually never come in from and smelled right where she was laying both in the road and off in the brush.

Deer activity didn’t drop, but they acted spooky if you ask me.

Comment

simply no

Comment

I say, no.

Comment

I can tell you with absolute certainty that it decreased your deer activity.....at least by 1 ;-)

Comment

More than likely you walking around looking for her was the biggest reason for the decrease in deer activity. This is why my group must use a dog to track unless they see the deer go down. It allows us to recover as quickly as possible with as little disturbance as possible.

Comment

Comment

Nope, I was worried about this when I shot a doe and it dropped in sight. Much to my surprise I shot my second doe about an hour later when it came up to sniff the first dead doe...

Comment

Needed meat once, and shot the first doe to come to the feeder. The other ones ran about 50 yds away and waited for me to drag her away and got right back on the corn. I would say they were hungry. I upped the amount we were feeding.

Comment

No

Comment

Originally posted by Ray McGaughey View Post
                            It's possible that the coyote activity spooked the deer out of the area. But as far as just the presence of a dead deer in the area spooking the other deer out of the area - I doubt it.

This^^^ the increased coyote activity will have them spooked.

“There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” -Fred Bear-

Comment

Same experience here

Comment

Nope. I’ve shot a deer and had it fall on the gutpile from the deer I killed the day before.

Comment

Working...
                                X