No announcement yet.

Official 2020 - 2021 Lakes Whitney and Aquilla hunting and fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't wait until Whitney pinches down a little.

Click image for larger version

Name:	floodedyard.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	24653809

Comment

Hope and praying for yall Paycheck! I've had family property looking like that on Lake Worth a few times. We never got flooded out though, in the 76 years we owned it. On the light side, I could sit in the yard and catfish in the yard. They were in there eating all the earthworms, grubs, and other insects in the yard.

No release changes have been made except the A lake is releasing 4 cfs less than yesterday evening.

W lake has dropped a few inches in the last 24hrs. And sits at 13.01 feet above normal. Bad news is: PK level has come up a bit in the last 24 hrs, about 3". And is slightly above normal by 2.5 inches.

A lake has dropped a few inches also. And sits at 3.26 feet above normal

Comment

Good news: None of the lakes have had an inflow in the last 24 hours. And all are releasing something except Georgetown. It is 3.30 feet low and not releasing. PK is releasing 17,636 cfs still. Grandbury is still releasing 19,856 cfs.

The W lake sits at 12.59 feet above normal. A little down from the past 24 hours. And has dropped it's release rate to 23,806.

A lake is 2.69 feet above normal. And is releasing 943 cfs.

With the expected warm weather to come this coming week, we should see more decline in lake levels.

Comment

PK is releasing 1,520 cfs. Grandbury is releasing 2,656 cfs.

W lake is down to 9.56 feet above normal. And is releasing 23,780 cfs.

A lake is 1.15 feet above normal. And is releasing 620 cfs.

Comment

TG, what is your prognostication for return to normal at Whitney, impact on campgrounds, striper and hunting?

Comment

PK is releasing 2,588 cfs. Grandbury is releasing 2,218 cfs.

The W lake has dropped to 5.97 feet above normal. And is releasing 23,780 still.

A lake is sitting at .20 feet above normal. And should be shutting it's gate down soon.

Lot's of water still going into the Brazos down stream. Waco, Belton, and Somerville are well still above normal levels for smaller lakes. Aquilla, Stillhouse, Granger, and Limestone are near normal levels. Georgetown is the only project below normal. All the smaller lakes except Georgetown and Limestone are releasing what they can into the Brazos to draw them back down to normal or below in case the area gets a good rain again. Those factors are what's limiting Whitney on it's release rate.

The good news is some of the smaller lakes are nearing normal again. So I expect they will be shutting down the release rate soon to join Limestone and Georgetown. Of those near normal again are Aquilla, Stillhouse, Granger, and Limestone (Limestone not releaseing). Waco, Belton, Whitney, and Sumerville still have a way to go. Seeing how Proctor (6.63 feet above normal) feeds Belton (8.93 feet above normal), I expect those two to take a while. However, Belton may open the gates more once the other smaller lakes start shutting down their gates. That would give Belton and Proctor a chance to release more and get back down to normal quickly in case more rains come to their areas. Whitney will most likely be the last to shut down. As it has the biggest "catcher's mitt". And can easily handle 20+ feet above normal.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                TG, what is your prognostication for return to normal at Whitney, impact on campgrounds, striper and hunting?

If the rain stops, I'm thinking it's still going to be near Aug or in before the W lake is near normal again. This shouldn't have much effect on the stipers on the lower end (as it's shown in the past). What will make the difference is the thermal-cline. July and August are near some of the toughest months on fishing because the oxygen saturation rate in the water becomes less. And the metabolism of the fish has increased due the warmer waters. However, stipers still need to feed. But will be deeper through most of the day. You can find them in shallower waters and surface feeding very early in the morning and sometimes late in the evening. But they and the sandies will be holding that thermal-cline most of the time. Once we get through August, things will start to pick back up in September. October being usually one of the best months as the fish start to forage for the winter.

As to the parks, I don't expect Plowman or Kimball Bend to be open for camping come fall. There is just to much cleanup and manpower needed, with the limited budget they have. ACE may let the boat ramps be open though. Hamm's Creek should get theirs cleaned up pretty quick. They've done a good job of that in the past. And of course there is Chisholm Trail that is nearly never shut down except when it's flooded. Most of the other "free" parks should be open once the water levels drop back to normal, and roads get cleaned up. As well as the ones that are usually open on the lower end during their respective season per park.

Hunting should be back to the norm come the season. Lots of new green browse will grow giving lots of options for the critters as the water recedes. Providing the lake doesn't flood again .
                Last edited by Texas Grown; 06-19-2021, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Impressive TG, and thanks! You rival FND as the "legend".

At the current lake stage, did it flood the flat areas (dove areas)?

Take the mask off!

Comment

Impressive TG, and thanks! You rival FND as the "legend".

At the current lake stage, did it flood the flat areas (dove areas)?

Take the mask off!

When we look at the lake water level as "normal" conditions on the W lake, we are referring to a level of 533 feet above sea level, also known as "conservation level". This is where you will normally find most of the older shoreline Willow trees growing (last 50 years or so). Although there have been newer growths from the lake having sat in a receded state for some time. Just look for the older taller trees. Their trunks will give you an idea of where the conservation level starts.

After some research in recent W lake history, I have found that the W lake reached a maximum height of 13.36 feet above normal on June 10th, 2021. That is as close to today's date as the ACE database would let me get. It may have gotten slightly higher. But not by much from what I can remember.

After comparing the USGS TOPO (circa 2019 of Morgan-USGS) of the area I believe you are referencing to, it should have covered part of it at 13.36 feet above normal. It certainly flooded 1/2 the creek area making it 2/3rds the way to the highway. And some of the lower laying areas were flooded as well. There is a median TOPO line that runs mostly vertical through that property. It's set at 550 feet above sea level. Maximum height is slightly avbove 560 feet above sea level near the highway. And runs down as it gets closer to the water.

Comment

And I'll change my avatar soon.

Comment

And I can't be a Legend when FND is already "The Legend". No way to "rival" that feller!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                          And I'll change my avatar soon.
                          You are avatar-less.

Comment

You are avatar-less.
                            Well, I changed it, didn't I?

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

No sir, no avatar. May I suggest some?

Comment

No sir, no avatar. May I suggest some?

Sure!

Although I have some ideas for one, I just wanna see where this goes.

Comment

Working...
                                X