Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's an amazing build! Good job!

Comment

You have been very blessed with your skills! Very cool Skiff!

Comment

A lot of work with a bad shoulder. But great job. I would have just got a used Hobie Kayak
        with pedals.

Comment

Update. I recently bought a 20hp Mercury from another TBH'er and put it on my skiff.

I can't believe the difference between this and the 15hp Mercury! This motor tops out at 26 mph.

Last Friday evening I took it to the lake for some fishing. Was after Crappie but the Sand Bass were in a feeding frenzy so that's what I caught.

Around 8:30 I decided to cruise the parks and check out the campers and tents to see if I recognized anyone.

I was cruising at top speed and started a left turn. The boat started sliding through the turn so I backed off the throttle a bit. This caused it to bite which threw me a little off balance. I took a step back to get my balance. Still probably going too fast. That step caused the boat to dig in and the next thing I knew, I was under water.

I flew backwards out of the boat and when I hit the water my inflatable vest was forced forward over my head. As I felt it go past my ears I grabbed for my glasses with my right hand. I caught my glasses at about the same time the vest inflated. Now, the vest was still strapped around my back but the inflated part that is supposed to be behind your head was in my face and I couldn't see. I was holding my glasses with the right hand so reached up to pull the vest out of my face with my left. This is when I realized I was still holding the tiller extension. I must have had a good grip on it. I also still had the safety kill switch lanyard on my wrist.

I pulled the vest out of my face and put my glasses on. Now I could see the boat, about 30 feet away. It appeared to be alright so I started doggy paddling that way. I came across my bluetooth speaker floating so grabbed that. When I reached the boat I could see the cockpit area was full of water.

I tossed in the speaker, the tiller handle and took off the vest so I could pull myself up.

When I was back in the boat I pulled out the scupper plugs and sat there for a minute to let the water run out and assess the boat for damage. Fishing poles were still in the rod holders, phone still there in a water tight case and strapped to the hand rail. Soft cooler still there. Everything looked good!

I stood up and looked towards the bank and saw a lady just standing there watching so I gave her a wave and a holler!

I put the tiller extension back on and reconnected the kill switch lanyard and started up the motor and slowly cruised back to the boat ramp.

I like this 20hp Merc!

Y'all be sure to use that kill switch!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

That would be my last ride on that boat. Glad you are ok.

Comment

Sorry to hear you got thrown out but that was a good read. Hahaha slow down.

Comment

very nice work!!! great eye on the details!!!

Comment

Thanks for the update and glad you’re okay!

Comment

Working...
                  X