Rye Grass Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rye Grass Questions

A friend told me you can just spread rye grass out in the Fall and it will grow without any discing or plowing. Has anyone ever done this?

Do deer like rye grass?

Yea, as long as it can touch the soil, it'll grow. If you can mow whats there short and remove clippings it'll help. Deer do eat rye grass also

Comment

the package of "throw and grow" stuff you have probably seen at the store is 85%+ rye grass.

Comment

I think the rye grass like you overseed your lawn with is different than the cereal rye usually used in food plots. Cereal rye is a grain that is somewhat similar to wheat. I don't know if deer eat rye grass but I wouldnt think so except maybe when it first comes out.

Comment

That will work with rye grass. Just be prepared that once you do this you will have rye grass forever. It is a vigorous reseeding annual that is all but impossible to control. Spraying with cleth helps but I'm not sure there is a way to eliminate it or stop it from spreading. Yes deer eat it in its early growth stage.

Cereal rye is entirely different and requires a bit more attention to plant though with seed soil contact and a little rain establishes nicely. I plant it every year and have had no problems with controlling it. In fact I let it go to seed, then crimp it and plant into the thatch for summer.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
            I think the rye grass like you overseed your lawn with is different than the cereal rye usually used in food plots. Cereal rye is a grain that is somewhat similar to wheat. I don't know if deer eat rye grass but I wouldnt think so except maybe when it first comes out.
            I'm thinking this is Cereal Rye. My local feed store had it in the Fall last year but, it was $35 for 50 pounds. I didn't get it but I may try it this year.

Comment

What he ^^^^^^ said !

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                That will work with rye grass. Just be prepared that once you do this you will have rye grass forever. It is a vigorous reseeding annual that is all but impossible to control. Spraying with cleth helps but I'm not sure there is a way to eliminate it or stop it from spreading. Yes deer eat it in its early growth stage.

Cereal rye is entirely different and requires a bit more attention to plant though with seed soil contact and a little rain establishes nicely. I plant it every year and have had no problems with controlling it. In fact I let it go to seed, then crimp it and plant into the thatch for summer.
                What he ^^^^^ said !

Comment

This is true, but in my experience deer really seem to prefer oats or wheat over rye especially when its first sprouted and young and tender. I think oats are hard to beat.

Comment

I do a mix of forage oats and cereal rye 50-50...

Comment

Deer will eat it, but it is low on the preferred list.

Comment

Yes to the cereal rye. I’d go heavy if you plan and just broadcasting, at least 150#/acre. My didn’t do great this fall do to the lack of rainfall, But it has taken off since the last 2 months. Here is a pic of my clover/cereal rye plots. There were also turnips, but they are gone now.
                        The deer eat cereal rye like they oats and wheat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertx View Post
                          Yes to the cereal rye. I’d go heavy if you plan and just broadcasting, at least 150#/acre. My didn’t do great this fall do to the lack of rainfall, But it has taken off since the last 2 months. Here is a pic of my clover/cereal rye plots. There were also turnips, but they are gone now.
                          The deer eat cereal rye like they oats and wheat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          That looks awesome.

Comment

I’ve grown rye 14” tall in the bed of a truck. As mentioned above if for wildlife, the will eat it... but way down the list on preference

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                              I’ve grown rye 14” tall in the bed of a truck. As mentioned above if for wildlife, the will eat it... but way down the list on preference
                              Thanks. I don't have a disc so this seems like the next best solution next to my corn feeders. Mow it, throw it and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X