No announcement yet.

Units 122 & 125 in Newton Cty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man that's nice of you. When's a good time for you? I'm not in a real big rush but I'm available pretty much anytime. ( at least for now)

Comment

Don't forget the Blue Elbow swamp, it's in your backyard and full of hogs
      Are you retired ? My free time varies, A/C work does allow for fitting scouting trips into my schedule
      Sent you a PM.

Comment

Well I'm sort of retired! I was career military. Now I'm a full time student at LIT.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by marshman View Post
            Well I'm sort of retired! I was career military. Now I'm a full time student at LIT.
            Are you taking summer classes ? I can meet up with you for lunch one day this week if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by deer99hunter View Post
              Are you taking summer classes ? I can meet up with you for lunch one day this week if you want.
              Well I just finished the summer 1 session today, and am not taking any for the summer 2 sessions. I will go back in aug for the fall semester. But we can still meet up pretty much anytime.

Comment

Well I just finished the summer 1 session today, and am not taking any for the summer 2 sessions. I will go back in aug for the fall semester. But we can still meet up pretty much anytime.
                Sounds good, give me a call if you get out and about tomorrow.

Comment

Thanks. Will do. Is it pretty steep and rugged?
                  There are no deer in SE TX....much less public landHunted Type II for years.

Comment

Originally posted by ground level View Post
                    And how did you come up with that statement? TPWD takes great stride in their efforts to make sure those lands are signed correctly and/or if they are inaccurate by any means (those properties have been reduced by the timber company over the years, it should be sent to the District Leader office for that area.

Gary Calkins
                    District Leader
                    289 CR 98
                    Jasper, TX 75951
                    Because I called them and explained the situation. They stated that it was a general guideline. The older Public Hunting books were accurate, but the last 7-8 years, not so much.

Comment

Thanks! That is some good info. Appreciate you passing it along. The east side of hwy 87 was the first area I plan to check out but do you know anything about the land west of hwy 87? Especially around the north area of the airport?
                      Well Marshman, I haven't hunted exactly in that spot, but I have drove through the area on the road with the hunters camp. There is quit a lot of the pine farms that have just been thinned out and just to the north of that is where Quicksand creek is coming through. There has got to be a big buck in there, but it will test your skills in finding him and then putting him on the wall!

Comment

Yea I figure its regular old EastTx hunting, thick, tough, lots of skeeters and long hours on stand with little to no deer sightings.

Not saying there no deer or no good bucks, there just very, very smart!

Comment

Originally posted by buckmastertexas View Post
                          Because I called them and explained the situation. They stated that it was a general guideline. The older Public Hunting books were accurate, but the last 7-8 years, not so much.
                          Reason being, the Campbell Group is reducing those units little by little every few years, and we try our best to get the new boundaries signed as soon as accurate upon their boundary lines as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by ground level View Post
                            Reason being, the Campbell Group is reducing those units little by little every few years, and we try our best to get the new boundaries signed as soon as accurate upon their boundary lines as possible.
                            Why are they being reduced? Is the Campbell Group trying to eventually phase them all out? I would guess its because they can get more $$ by leasing them out to individuals.

Comment

Campbell is reducing those tracts to the public for APH hunters and yes, they can get more money from leasing to groups and individuals than through the program.

Comment

That's what I figured. Kind of a shame. The almighty dollar wins out again. Guess by the time I have grandkids old enough to hunt, the national forest may be all the public land left.

Comment

Working...
                                X