Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-07-2021, 10:56 AM   #1
ecfire1967
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coalgate and Coleman Ok,
Default PSA Jumped way up

My PSA went from 1.3 to 6 in two months. Got me a little nervous. Anybody else here deal with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ecfire1967 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2021, 10:58 AM   #2
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Obviously a doctor likely noticed this also huh?

Very good indicator based on those numbers. I would be nervous myself.

Best of luck
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2021, 11:03 AM   #3
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

There are several current threads about Prostate Cancer. Do a search and check them out.

Have you seen a Urologist yet for a "thorough" exam?

Last edited by Burnadell; 04-07-2021 at 11:55 AM.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2021, 11:18 AM   #4
TexasBob
Pope & Young

I understand Testosterone therapy feeds prostate cancer. Dont delay, especially if on replacement therapy.
TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2021, 11:22 AM   #5
ecfire1967
Ten Point

I am under the care of a urologist. The jump was noticed by my GP. Seeing my urologist Friday. I知 extremely nervous

Old 04-07-2021, 11:41 AM   #6
fbchunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Thompsons

Dear God, we come in prayer for this man. We ask for your strength, comfort, peace, and complete and supernatural guidance, protection, and provision for him. Praying all this through your son, our mighty Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen
fbchunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2021, 11:45 AM   #7
ecfire1967
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbchunter View Post
Dear God, we come in prayer for this man. We ask for your strength, comfort, peace, and complete and supernatural guidance, protection, and provision for him. Praying all this through your son, our mighty Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen

Thank you

Old 04-07-2021, 11:54 AM   #8
1riot1ranger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecfire1967 View Post
I am under the care of a urologist. The jump was noticed by my GP. Seeing my urologist Friday. I知 extremely nervous

There are a number of us on the same journey so feel free to reach out and to check the prostate threads. You are on the right track with the GP and urologist visits. I followed the same path and was mad at my GP for referring me to a urologist. I was in complete denial because I had no signs or symptoms of any problem.

Regarding the posts about connection to testosterone treatments. I've asked four doctors: my GP, urologist in San Antonio, and cancer doctors at MD Anderson and in California and all said there is no connection between testosterone treatments and prostate cancer. There are different opinions available on the internet so I'll leave that argument to who you choose to believe.
1riot1ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2021, 12:00 PM   #9
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1riot1ranger View Post
There are a number of us on the same journey so feel free to reach out and to check the prostate threads. You are on the right track with the GP and urologist visits. I followed the same path and was mad at my GP for referring me to a urologist. I was in complete denial because I had no signs or symptoms of any problem.

Regarding the posts about connection to testosterone treatments. I've asked four doctors: my GP, urologist in San Antonio, and cancer doctors at MD Anderson and in California and all said there is no connection between testosterone treatments and prostate cancer. There are different opinions available on the internet so I'll leave that argument to who you choose to believe.
That's interesting because my GP would NOT administer testosterone with my history of prostate cancer, and that was before my cancer came back.

My oncologist is treating my prostate cancer with hormone treatment which is a testosterone blocker; said testosterone feeds prostate cancer.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:12 PM   #10
1riot1ranger
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
That's interesting because my GP would NOT administer testosterone with my history of prostate cancer, and that was before my cancer came back.

My oncologist is treating my prostate cancer with hormone treatment which is a testosterone blocker; said testosterone feeds prostate cancer.
Doc said it is counter-intuitive because we kill the testosterone for cancer treatments. Both cancer docs told me testosterone treatments can be considered after two years from treatment and no cancer signs. With this disease every case is different and all the treatment options confound things further.

It also makes no sense that if testosterone feeds the cancer then why doesn't it occur in our youth when testosterone is highest instead of older when it is at its lowest. On this subject, I'm going with the doctors who I'm paying the big bucks to for their knowledge so, no testosterone it is. I'm sure you are doing the same. I'll also continue to read the internet stories just in case....
Old 04-07-2021, 12:13 PM   #11
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Good luck to all of you. Y'all are in my prayers.

I had my yearly physical 2 weeks ago. Lab work shows my PSA at .2 . I get blood work done every 3 months, so it is something I can check on pretty often.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2021, 12:18 PM   #12
ecfire1967
Ten Point

I知 frightened. I知 retiring from the Fort Worth Fire Department in four weeks. I still have a 13 year old son at home. I知 looking forward to some great times and now this is on my mind...

Old 04-07-2021, 12:24 PM   #13
Highbridge hand
Six Point

prayers sent!
Highbridge hand is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2021, 12:33 PM   #14
ecfire1967
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highbridge hand View Post
prayers sent!

Thank you

Old 04-07-2021, 12:38 PM   #15
Texas 1863
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Kimble Co.

I dealt with it in 2017; mine went from the 3 range in 2016 to 7.6 in 2017. Went through the consultation, biopsy, etc., it was prostate cancer. Had it completely removed due to my age at the time, 43.
Texas 1863 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2021, 12:39 PM   #16
manwitaplan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

I will keep you in my prayers. Stay positive.

manwitaplan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2021, 12:44 PM   #17
1riot1ranger
Ten Point

Quote:
I知 frightened. I知 retiring from the Fort Worth Fire Department in four weeks. I still have a 13 year old son at home. I知 looking forward to some great times and now this is on my mind...

I found this book to be the most positive. PM me your address and I'll be happy to send you my copy. The other lesson I learned is to be cautious with the internet "support" groups. Those things put me in a downward spiral for days. I still find the green screen the most positive, even on this subject. Don't hesitate to reach out to the guys on here.

https://www.amazon.com/You-Can-Beat-.../dp/061514022X
Old 04-07-2021, 01:54 PM   #18
ecfire1967
Ten Point

Quote:
I found this book to be the most positive. PM me your address and I'll be happy to send you my copy. The other lesson I learned is to be cautious with the internet "support" groups. Those things put me in a downward spiral for days. I still find the green screen the most positive, even on this subject. Don't hesitate to reach out to the guys on here.

https://www.amazon.com/You-Can-Beat-.../dp/061514022X

I値l buy me a copy from Amazon. Thank you for the information

Old 04-07-2021, 02:35 PM   #19
oneisnone
Ten Point

Mine jumped about the same while on TRT after being on it for about 1 year. I got off TRT for 4 months and it dropped, labs all checked out. Got back on TRT a couple months ago and will see if it rises again and requires a biopsy
oneisnone is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2021, 02:40 PM   #20
Mike
Ten Point

One thing I will add regarding all the internet and comparison stories. A simple statement is "Your cancer is not my cancer", if that makes sense. There are so many variables in the patients and cases. Some things are similar and others are far apart. I learned this when my wife had cancer, you can get down a rabbit hole and be off on a tangent that is not even relatable. Main point is stay positive.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2021, 02:44 PM   #21
1riot1ranger
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
one thing i will add regarding all the internet and comparison stories. A simple statement is "your cancer is not my cancer", if that makes sense. There are so many variables in the patients and cases. Some things are similar and others are far apart. I learned this when my wife had cancer, you can get down a rabbit hole and be off on a tangent that is not even relatable. Main point is stay positive.
spot on!!
Old 04-07-2021, 02:49 PM   #22
ecfire1967
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
One thing I will add regarding all the internet and comparison stories. A simple statement is "Your cancer is not my cancer", if that makes sense. There are so many variables in the patients and cases. Some things are similar and others are far apart. I learned this when my wife had cancer, you can get down a rabbit hole and be off on a tangent that is not even relatable. Main point is stay positive.

Good point, thank you

Old 04-08-2021, 09:20 AM   #23
Mohawkman
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX, NM, CO

I had this happen to two friends. One was over self medicating on testosterone boosters. The other had gone to a Dr and was having testosterone therapy.
Mohawkman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 11:48 AM   #24
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Doc said it is counter-intuitive because we kill the testosterone for cancer treatments. Both cancer docs told me testosterone treatments can be considered after two years from treatment and no cancer signs. With this disease every case is different and all the treatment options confound things further.

It also makes no sense that if testosterone feeds the cancer then why doesn't it occur in our youth when testosterone is highest instead of older when it is at its lowest. On this subject, I'm going with the doctors who I'm paying the big bucks to for their knowledge so, no testosterone it is. I'm sure you are doing the same. I'll also continue to read the internet stories just in case....
I assume it is because the youngsters DON'T have prostate cancer. Testosterone does not cause the cancer, but it feeds the cancer once you have it...at lesat as I understand it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Yes! I agree.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:07 PM   #25
1riot1ranger
Ten Point

Quote:
I assume it is because the youngsters DON'T have prostate cancer. Testosterone does not cause the cancer, but it feeds the cancer once you have it...at lesat as I understand it.
I think that is the best explanation and fits my understanding too. There's probably also the correlation between older (? ) guys getting testosterone treatments and the age when prostate cancer begins to show up. Generally, guys under say 45 have neither. I've mentioned elsewhere that I discussed the testosterone treatment connection with my general practioner, urololgist, and oncology doctors at MD Anderson and Loma Linda and each said the treatments do not cause the cancer but the cancer will feed on testosterone. Mike said it best: "My cancer is not your cancer" - the right answer for one does not mean it's right for someone else. Stay positive, support each other, and continue prayers.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:11 PM   #26
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County & Anywhere A Duck Flies!

Prayers up. No mater what happens go in with a I'm gonna kick cancer azz mindset. Never give up! Prostate cancer runs in my family. I have to be vigilant on it too.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 12:29 PM   #27
ecfire1967
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKFVR View Post
Prayers up. No mater what happens go in with a I'm gonna kick cancer azz mindset. Never give up! Prostate cancer runs in my family. I have to be vigilant on it too.

I知 doing much better today. I had a pity party yesterday but I知 over it. I see my urologist at UT Southwestern tomorrow. If it is cancer it should be covered under the presumptive cancer law(26 year with Fort Worth FD. I may have too push back my retirement a couple months... Thanks for y誕ll痴 encouragement.

Old 04-08-2021, 12:36 PM   #28
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County & Anywhere A Duck Flies!

Quote:
I知 doing much better today. I had a pity party yesterday but I知 over it. I see my urologist at UT Southwestern tomorrow. If it is cancer it should be covered under the presumptive cancer law(26 year with Fort Worth FD. I may have too push back my retirement a couple months... Thanks for y誕ll痴 encouragement.

Thank You for your service to the community too!
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 06:31 PM   #29
ecfire1967
Ten Point

Biopsy came back benign!

Old 04-25-2021, 06:37 PM   #30
bloodtrail18
Eight Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, Tx

Quote:
Biopsy came back benign!

Great news!
bloodtrail18 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 06:55 PM   #31
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

Awesome man!!
cwill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 07:30 PM   #32
MasterOfNothing
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr County, Jim Wells County

That's great to hear. We'll continue to pay for you bud.
MasterOfNothing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 07:44 PM   #33
speck1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas and Idaho

Quote:
Biopsy came back benign!

Went thru the exact same thing a couple months ago. I had been on T replacement pellets for a year and feeling great. PSA went from 1.5 to 7 in 3 months. I was freaked out because i really did not want to deal with prostate cancer at 53. Had the biopsy and it was completely clear. Big relief as you well know. Still haven稚 had an explanation from the Urologist. Something had to cause it to jump like that. Did they give you any explanation?
speck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 07:51 PM   #34
tlh2865
Six Point

Quote:
Biopsy came back benign!

Thats awesome!!
tlh2865 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 07:59 PM   #35
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

Quote:

Same same.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 08:02 PM   #36
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

Hunt In: Austin, Boerne, Wyoming, South America

Quote:
Biopsy came back benign!

Hot dang! That's great news!

Have they suggested why your PSA level got so high?
ThisLadyHunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 08:03 PM   #37
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

I had a PSA of 14.5 in my later 40's. Don't panic if you are under 60. Turned out mine was a prostrate infection. Took several weeks of Cipro to cure it.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 08:04 PM   #38
psicoo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardeman County(Quanah, TX), Tom Green County(Eden, TX), Grenada & Fayetteville, MS., Russell, KS.,

If your age is around 70, normal is 4-6.

psicoo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 08:07 PM   #39
Burnadell
Pope & Young

That is excellent news! See, you put yourself through all that worry, only to find out you are good to go! But...you still want to keep an eye on your numbers which I assume your urologist will.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:49 AM   #40
Mike
Ten Point

Quote:
Biopsy came back benign!
Great News!! It is a roller coaster of emotions for sure but I am glad you are off and can get refocused on living life. The waiting is so hard, clear your head and get back to enjoying life.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 11:25 AM   #41
1riot1ranger
Ten Point

Quote:
Biopsy came back benign!
That's Great News!!! I was told that any number of stimulations to your prostate prior to testing will cause your PSA to rise. Things like the DRE exam, riding a bicycle, sex and probably a number of other things. I'm sure your doc will help you keep an eye out for increases in your PSA but you got the best news of all!
Old 04-26-2021, 12:51 PM   #42
gfulton
Ten Point

I'll drink to that with you.
gfulton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 02:06 PM   #43
ecfire1967
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck1 View Post
Went thru the exact same thing a couple months ago. I had been on T replacement pellets for a year and feeling great. PSA went from 1.5 to 7 in 3 months. I was freaked out because i really did not want to deal with prostate cancer at 53. Had the biopsy and it was completely clear. Big relief as you well know. Still haven稚 had an explanation from the Urologist. Something had to cause it to jump like that. Did they give you any explanation?

No explanation at all...

Old 04-26-2021, 02:41 PM   #44
Ag 89
Six Point

Hunt In: Segovia, Menard

Quote:
Biopsy came back benign!

Excellent news!