No announcement yet.

Lessons learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those looking at small generators, we use these extended run tanks for ice fishing when we stay out on the ice for the weekend. You can run a day or three on these- https://ipiindustries.com/
    I’d also recommend a cable-lock for when you’re using if you live in town, the sound of a generator and having lights when everything is dark attracts some attention. Keeping a loop of cable through a generator is peace of mind when you leave the garage door open.
    Buddy heaters are great in the blind and are fairly safe indoors without kids and pets around them. The 12’ hoses that attach to LP tanks are worth owning.
    I keep a kerosene wick heater around and 5 gallons of kerosene for winter emergencies. I won’t sleep with it on. We also have a couple of oil lamps around for power outages.

Comment

If the kids are home from school on a Monday, hang a sock on the bedroom doorknob so they don't even bother knocking.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
        Make sure generators are working good, with plenty of gas on hand. Extra propane tanks to cook on the grill outside. Lots of canned food. Fill the bathtubs up with water.
        Be sure to have all the adapters for the generator.

Comment

Buy a case of RV anti freeze!

Bring generator home with fuel instead of at the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by RS3 View Post
            Since I park in the driveway I’ve been cranking my truck every 4-5 hours and first thing in the morning always letting it run for 10-15 minutes to keep the battery charged. Also busted the ice off of outdoor heat pump unit to try to keep it from malfunctioning. So far, so good!
            Put your pump on Emergency mode on your thermostat for these conditions, then go back to normal when temps get normal, it's a lot hotter air, and doesn't run as much, that's what its for, I didn't know that until yesterday, awesome feature of a heat pump.

Comment

Originally posted by HogCommander View Post
              We've been lucky so far with power and water. We insulated our plumbing under the pier and beam portion of our house when we saw the storm coming but still need to add the means to produce heat in the crawlspace on demand. Also need to add an on demand heat option for our well house. Thinking very hard about a generator too.

Just ordered a tow strap to keep in my truck. Was able to get out today but had to help several people pull their vehicles back onto the road with a borrowed tow strap.

Also gonna keep more propane on hand. I usually keep a full spare in addition to what's in the grill but thinking 1 or 2 more full tanks would be wise. May get the adapter to run my Mr. Buddy heater from a grill-size propane tank too.
              Somehow in my life I have accumulated 4 propane tanks. I filled 2 on Friday and ordered a Mr Buddy 10’ hose from academy and picked it up Friday as well. I have run that Mr buddy in the garage for my dogs for 2 consecutive nights and all day yesterday and still had fuel in the 1st tank. It has managed to keep my 2 car garage 20-30° above ambient outside temps. It was 2 last night and the garage was just under 32. It helps we have foam insulation

It’s totally worth the investment

Comment

Don't be such a tight wad. And go buy a generator! There's been several times I've been in need of one over the years.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Lots of good info here. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                    The house I live in is all electric, when we build or buy a house, gas is a must. Been cooking from my MSR whisperlite stove. Been kind of fun cooking outside on the porch in the snow like I would when I’m hunting out of my backpack haha.
                    I’ve been hearing stories that they are limiting the flow on gas as well to help conserve. I have no idea if that’s true but that would really **** me off !

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                      We found out quickly this was some of the best $$ spent on our house build.

When this is heated up and cranking our HVAC units barely run in the house. I stuff it full of wood at bedtime, close the door and it will heat the majority of the house all night long. We also had a duct tapped off the heat exchanger box around the stove and ran duct piping to a fan in the attic and that ties into the plenum box on the unit that serves our bedroom/bathroom/office. I have a thermostat in the bedroom and it will keep it at set point all night long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      Same here and the only gas we have in the house is propane piped into the FP to get it started. We pat ourselves on the back a lot for doing that. Another good thing we did when building is foam insulation throughout the house, double Payne windows, etc.

Comment

Cut more firewood than I think I need.

Comment

More gas, it was a scramble to get enough to last a few days. I don’t like to scramble. More beer also

Comment

For any of y’all saying you need to buy a generator I’m betting there will be several slightly used ones for sale in a month or so. A lot of people prob bought one but will end up selling to recoup some money. Just be in the lookout. I keep two of the Honda eu2000 in my garage. They pair together for more power, lightweight, pretty quiet and run about 6-7hrs on a tank of gas. I waited too long to order but you can get an auxiliary tank that will keep them running all day. They are reasonably priced and don’t take up much room. If your gonna buy a generator don’t buy cheap crap. Nothing worse than having a generator for emergencies and can’t get it started. Honda is the only way to go.

Comment

Should have never listened to the ac guy. Up north we used gas heat. Guess what my heat pump went out friday. Throwing that 2 year old boat anchor in the trash and getting a gas heat unit

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                                Don’t answer the phone when they try to call you in early .
                                This made me laugh

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X