Bible cover in cowhide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bible cover in cowhide?

Does anyone know someone that makes bible covers with cowhide?

I've made lots of leather goods, my wife has been bugging me to make a bible cover for her just haven't gotten around to it. All hand-cut, hand stitched, burnished, etc., very time consuming, so I haven't done it commercially. PM me and might be able to help if you don't find someone already making them.
    Attached Files

Comment

There are some people I follow on Instagram who do. One person, in particular makes them with the added bonus of being a Christian herself: https://www.instagram.com/christian_custom_leather/

Comment

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
        There are some people I follow on Instagram who do. One person, in particular makes them with the added bonus of being a Christian herself: https://www.instagram.com/christian_custom_leather/
        Her tooling work looks really nice! Stitching looks machine done, but for any kind of volume you have to as it is time-consuming and hard on the fingers.

Comment

If I could afford a leather sewing machine, I'd use it, too. I only hand stitch because I have to, but it's very time consuming and isn't a whole lot of fun, especially if you're doing something like a belt that has a lot of stitching.

Comment

If I could afford a leather sewing machine, I'd use it, too. I only hand stitch because I have to, but it's very time consuming and isn't a whole lot of fun, especially if you're doing something like a belt that has a lot of stitching.
            I hear you there, that tote bag took around 35 hours to stitch (lots of detail that isn't pictured, like inside pockets). Belts I buy from someone else for the same reason.
            Last edited by SharpEnd; 12-26-2020, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mls64 View Post
              that tote bag took around 35 hours to stitch
              Wow! You have both my sympathy and my admiration.

Comment

I make dead cows look pretty.....

Love it!

Comment

I have had 2 Bibles recovered using this company and was very pleased with the work on both.

Hand Book Rebinding, Repair, and Restoration

Comment

As a knifemaker and sheath maker I can tell you anyone doing leatherwork for a minimal profit is not handstitching 35 hours . No way I could charge enough to ever pay for the materials.
                    Last edited by Leon County Slayer; 12-26-2020, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
                      As a knifemaker and sheath maker I can tell you anyone doing leatherwork for a minimal profit is not handstitching 35 hours . No way I could charge enough to ever pay for the materials.
                      That's the truth right there. I told my wife that her tote bag was around $900 at my cost... and that number is really low calculating time involved, it wouldn't make sense to try and make them to sell.

Comment

Originally posted by mls64 View Post
                        That's the truth right there. I told my wife that her tote bag was around $900 at my cost...
                        Exactly and you can tell her that’s 50% off too!

Comment

Working...
                        X