New boat project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New boat project

This 1987 13 foot scooter was gifted to me. The owner passed away several years ago. The son doesn’t know where the title is. So what from I read on here it maybe almost impossible to get a title for it. But we shall see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CoolArrow; 02-09-2020, 03:02 PM.

I’d make sure there was an avenue for a title before I sank a penny into it. Good luck. I wish I had time for a project like that.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
      I’d make sure there was an avenue for a title before I sank a penny into it. Good luck. I wish I had time for a project like that.
      Yeah I’m not spending money or time on it yet. The old lady still lives but she is almost 90 years old. So I’m not even sure she could sign any TPWD forms that I may need. The son is sure the title is in the house some where. I’ll be calling TPWD tomorrow for advice on how to get this done.

Comment

I did do a query on the boat registration stickers and it show “active” and last registered in 1998. But it doesn’t show a serial number nor any other info other than outboard and propeller no name or model. Maybe back then the motor was not required to be titled? If and when I get a title under my name I will be replacing the engine . A buddy of mine says he was given a boat to him by his uncle and he continued to register it yearly and but kept it under his uncle’s name. They lost the titles for both boat and motor. Not sure if that’s legal,
        It’s registered just not being used by the person on the title

Comment

I did do a query on the boat registration stickers and it show “active” and last registered in 1998. But it doesn’t show a serial number nor any other info other than outboard and propeller no name or model. Maybe back then the motor was not required to be titled? If and when I get a title under my name I will be replacing the engine . A buddy of mine says he was given a boat to him by his uncle and he continued to register it yearly and but kept it under his uncle’s name. They lost the titles for both boat and motor. Not sure if that’s legal,
          It’s registered just not being used by the person on the title

Comment

Those are cool little boats. I had one for a number of years. I got lots of looks fishing Galveston bay on it. I actually got pulled over in Lake Houston by the lake patrol to see what it was. Caught a ton of fish off of it.

Good luck with your titling.

Skooter

Comment

Sweet little boat

Comment

Have son File for lost title with the paperwork that the "owner" will have signed. Obtain new title, transfer to your name.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Does it have a serial number on the transom? If not, it may be able to be registered as a home made boat. Check with TPW.

Comment

Drop it off at a junk yard - prolly your best bet

Comment

Well I was shot down! Lady at TPWD says that the lost title is the least of my worries!! Being that the old man passed away several years ago I now need to provide legal documentation, they want/need copies of wills or probates, who was the boat willed to? Sons, wife? I asked if the old lady could sign release of property to me and TPWD says no! They need proof as to whom the rightful owner is now.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolArrow View Post
                        Well I was shot down! Lady at TPWD says that the lost title is the least of my worries!! Being that the old man passed away several years ago I now need to provide legal documentation, they want/need copies of wills or probates, who was the boat willed to? Sons, wife? I asked if the old lady could sign release of property to me and TPWD says no! They need proof as to whom the rightful owner is now.
                        I think in general, it's best to leave out as many pertinent details as possible when speaking to TPWD.

Comment

I think in general, it's best to leave out as many pertinent details as possible when speaking to TPWD.
                          ^^^^^^ This

Comment

Best to be honest. The OP doesn’t own the boat. He wasn’t ever going to get a title until ownership of the boat was demonstrated. Looks like there is a path forward now- not the one he expected, but a path forward.

I can’t imagine the crap that comes through the door at TPWD.

Comment

yes, yes exactly. Its not like the man got a boat that had no owner

Comment

Working...
                              X