Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-27-2020, 10:32 PM   #1
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Smith County
Default Sausage making help please

I donít have any wild game but want to try my hand at making sausage. I have all the equipment just need a little guidance. What kind of meat should I buy? Beef and pork? All pork? Cheapest meat ok to grind into sausage?
BowSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2020, 10:34 PM   #2
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties

Cheapest meat you can find. Only problem doing it that way is once you factor in the price of beef and pork it’s cheaper to just buy store bought. Probably cheapest way to do it is with brisket and pork butts. I don’t care for all pork sausage but you can make it with whatever you want.
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2020, 10:40 PM   #3
RaginCagin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Louisiana

Most pork will work as long as it has some fat in it. My go to are boneless pork picnics but Iíd say the majority of folks use Boston butt.
RaginCagin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2020, 10:43 PM   #4
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowSlayer View Post
I don’t have any wild game but want to try my hand at making sausage. I have all the equipment just need a little guidance. What kind of meat should I buy? Beef and pork? All pork? Cheapest meat ok to grind into sausage?

I wait until pork butts go on sale for 79- 99 cents a pound (it happens a lot throughout the year) and use it to mix with venison or duck even. We do 300-400 lbs at a time. It's the best meat to deal with when you take into account quality, price and ease of de-boning.....IMO.

Last edited by Smart; 01-27-2020 at 10:48 PM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2020, 10:59 PM   #5
clay4626
Ten Point

Hunt In: Roberston Co, Lincoln ranch and johnson ranch

Since this your first time I would try a small amount of pan sausage to get started
Grind your pork put in a bowl and add season. I like sage black pepper and a little red pepper. Once you get all mixed up fry a little to see if you need more what every you need to your taste. If you have a vacuum seal put in one lb bags and freeze. Next time you have some vision then add 10 to 15 % pork to vision so its not two dry Good luck
clay4626 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2020, 12:40 AM   #6
Stuck
Ten Point

Iím going to be making about 100lbs of sausage and wieners this weekend. Youíre welcome to come practice while I drink beer and make sure youíre doing it right.

Iím a great supervisor.
Stuck is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2020, 08:55 AM   #7
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SW of Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
I wait until pork butts go on sale for 79- 99 cents a pound (it happens a lot throughout the year) and use it to mix with venison or duck even. We do 300-400 lbs at a time. It's the best meat to deal with when you take into account quality, price and ease of de-boning.....IMO.

Do you debone, cube up the pork butts and freeze them in gallon bags when you buy them, prep them so to speak, or freeze them whole until sausage making time?
TexasCanesFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2020, 09:18 AM   #8
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCanesFan View Post
Do you debone, cube up the pork butts and freeze them in gallon bags when you buy them, prep them so to speak, or freeze them whole until sausage making time?

Yes.... and no. If I buy them
during the year before I get my deer, I just wait to thaw and cube the day before so I know how much I need. I donít want to cube up 6 pork butts on a July 4th or Labor Day sale buy and not get a sausage deer. Iíd rather have them whole if they end up going on the smoker. Tag soup happens occasionally. . If I buy the pork after I have my deer already, and my sausage date with the group is later I will cube when I buy it and freeze until our late Jan/early Feb group making date. I prefer to cube first and freeze though so mostly yes. . Same with deer meat. I cube it off the bone until I get my 40-50lbs and freeze. Itís nice to just thaw and go.

If itís a straight pork make then yes.. it gets cubed immediately and frozen until I make it. ... or of course, used that day if Iím making it that day. Also in our quantities, I use the 2 gallon bags to freeze. Those things are great for the big sausage weights.

Last edited by Smart; 01-28-2020 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:24 AM   #9
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Thanks for the replies. Iím going to give it a shot as soon as my high temp cheese is delivered.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:50 AM   #10
RSW0913
Eight Point

Hunt In: Travis County

if you have an albertsons near by they have pork butts for .99 through today. good time to buy some......
RSW0913 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2020, 10:17 AM   #11
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waller

Just get some pork butts. I believe they are on sale at HEB now.
denimdeerslayer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2020, 10:28 AM   #12
Smart
Pope & Young

Sounds like perfect timing^^^
Old 01-28-2020, 10:52 AM   #13
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSW0913 View Post
if you have an albertsons near by they have pork butts for .99 through today. good time to buy some......
Thanks. Not sure if there's one in Tyler or not honestly but I'll find out. Nearest HEB is in Carthage which is 45 minute drive.

Edit.... According to Google the Tyler Albertsons is permanently closed.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:57 AM   #14
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

I have a Super 1.....will these work being trimmed?

https://www.super1foods.com/shop#/product/346324
Old 01-28-2020, 11:16 AM   #15
LemmeOut
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I am invited

Quote:

Yes, and you may not need to trim very much if you're going to mix it with beef. Look for chuck roast or country style beef ribs on sale to mix with the pork 50/50 by weight. We will hit up Sam's for shoulder roasts to get really lean beef and not trim anything off the pork. We also don't trim the pork if we're mixing with deer.
LemmeOut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2020, 11:17 AM   #16
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes.... and no. If I buy them
during the year before I get my deer, I just wait to thaw and cube the day before so I know how much I need. I donít want to cube up 6 pork butts on a July 4th or Labor Day sale buy and not get a sausage deer. Iíd rather have them whole if they end up going on the smoker. Tag soup happens occasionally. . If I buy the pork after I have my deer already, and my sausage date with the group is later I will cube when I buy it and freeze until our late Jan/early Feb group making date. I prefer to cube first and freeze though so mostly yes. . Same with deer meat. I cube it off the bone until I get my 40-50lbs and freeze. Itís nice to just thaw and go.

If itís a straight pork make then yes.. it gets cubed immediately and frozen until I make it. ... or of course, used that day if Iím making it that day. Also in our quantities, I use the 2 gallon bags to freeze. Those things are great for the big sausage weights.

Perfect. Thanks
Old 01-28-2020, 11:18 AM   #17
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Terrell County

I buy the Fiesta brand breakfast sausage seasoning. 1 bottle seasons 8 pounds of pork. I buy two pork butts on sale then de-bone cut up in chunks and grind. Mix the seasonings in the ground pork. I then vac seal in 1 pound packages. Makes great breakfast sausage. Cheaper than 3-4 dollar a pound already made.
texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2020, 12:27 PM   #18
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

I ran to Super1 and got 3 pork butts and 3 sirloin pork roasts for 97 cents/pound. Would have gotten more but the limit was 3.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:33 PM   #19
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Good advice above. Are you making just pan sausage or will you be smoking links?
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2020, 12:34 PM   #20
Big_gun
Ten Point

Hunt In: Open for Suggestions

Quote:
I ran to Super1 and got 3 pork butts and 3 sirloin pork roasts for 97 cents/pound. Would have gotten more but the limit was 3.
drop in truck and walk back in.... lol

Pork butts and loins at HEB are $1 til today..

We're doing about 400# Saturday already getting tired...
Big_gun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2020, 12:38 PM   #21
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
Good advice above. Are you making just pan sausage or will you be smoking links?

Iíll be smoking links.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:42 PM   #22
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:
I’ll be smoking links.
Nice good luck to you. If you were closer I’d invite you over to my processing facilities. It’s not as cheap as it use to be many years ago, but it’s still good to know how to make your own.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:44 PM   #23
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Nice good luck to you. If you were closer Iíd invite you over to my processing facilities. Itís not as cheap as it use to be many years ago, but itís still good to know how to make your own.

If I were closer Iíd take you up on that. Itíll be a learning experience for sure.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:45 PM   #24
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:

That's exactly what you need. You don't need to trim anything.....although if you want a slightly leaner sausage you can just take the fat cap off the back side. We don't trim anything.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:50 PM   #25
Smart
Pope & Young

These are my BBQ prep pics but its a good visual of what I mean by taking off the fat cap if you so desire.

Also when making links and using natural casings....make sure you soak your casings for an hour before stuffing. Makes them slide on and off the horn easier and makes the stuffing part go quicker....

Name:  AA Prep 1.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  52.9 KB

Name:  AA Prep 2.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  58.9 KB

Name:  AA Prep 3.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  79.3 KB
Old 01-28-2020, 12:52 PM   #26
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
These are my BBQ prep pics but its a good visual of what I mean by taking off the fat cap if you so desire.

Also when making links and using natural casings....make sure you soak your casings for an hour before stuffing. Makes them slide on and off the horn easier and makes the stuffing part go quicker....

Attachment 989789

Attachment 989790

Attachment 989791
Awesome, thanks for the help.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:56 PM   #27
Comanchehunter
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan4ut View Post
I buy the Fiesta brand breakfast sausage seasoning. 1 bottle seasons 8 pounds of pork. I buy two pork butts on sale then de-bone cut up in chunks and grind. Mix the seasonings in the ground pork. I then vac seal in 1 pound packages. Makes great breakfast sausage. Cheaper than 3-4 dollar a pound already made.

I find it much easier to season after deboning/cubing than after grinding. Easier to get it mixed evenly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Comanchehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2020, 01:08 PM   #28
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchehunter View Post
I find it much easier to season after deboning/cubing than after grinding. Easier to get it mixed evenly.

agreed....plus seasoning the cubes allows the grinder to help with the mixing process.
Old 01-28-2020, 02:57 PM   #29
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

I picked up 2 pork butts yesterday for .99/lb at HEB. Plan is to make more pan sausage since the last batch turned out good. What size p lli are do you guys run your pan sausage through? My little grinder has 3 plates and I used the middle one last time.
cwill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2020, 04:09 PM   #30
LemmeOut
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I am invited

Quote:
agreed....plus seasoning the cubes allows the grinder to help with the mixing process.
That's how we do it too.
LemmeOut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2020, 07:31 PM   #31
huntindude
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brazoria county and Menard

If there are any processors or butcher shops near you, see if you can get a case of boneless picnics when they make their next order. Use those and trim off some of the fat caps so itís not overly greasy, you want about an 80/20 blend

huntindude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2020, 08:06 PM   #32
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

Several years ago I started trimming the fat off Boston butts and throwing it away. Started using fatback for the fat content in most varieties of sausage we make

And I disagree with using cheap meat for sausage. All the red meat and pork I use is basically steak and roast quality, no filler scraps.

Uncle Saggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2020, 08:12 PM   #33
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
Several years ago I started trimming the fat off Boston butts and throwing it away.

I actually trim the butt fatcaps off for my BBQ/pulled pork throughout the year and vacuum seal it to throw in the sausage pile at the end of the year. I was surprised how it adds up.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:00 PM   #34
Muskles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee Co

I'm only a few miles away from you. I've been makinging sausage for almost 20 years. I'm still no expert, but I'm also not too bad at it. Let me know if I can help.
Muskles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2020, 09:08 PM   #35
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskles View Post
I'm only a few miles away from you. I've been makinging sausage for almost 20 years. I'm still no expert, but I'm also not too bad at it. Let me know if I can help.

Well come over and demonstrate a few batches while I watch. Iím a slow learner though.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:15 PM   #36
Muskles
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well come over and demonstrate a few batches while I watch. Iím a slow learner though.
PM your number, if I don't have anything going on I'd be glad to. What are you planning to use as seasoning? I typically use Reo old fashion sausage mix from Brookshire Bros. It does 50# batches, but you can do the math to break it down into smaller batches. I use the hog casing from Brookshires also. Gotta soak them for a little while, then flush them with water. I spray cooking oil on the stuffing horn to make it easier to load the casings.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:16 PM   #37
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskles View Post
PM your number, if I don't have anything going on I'd be glad to. What are you planning to use as seasoning? I typically use Reo old fashion sausage mix from Brookshire Bros. It does 50# batches, but you can do the math to break it down into smaller batches. I use the hog casing from Brookshires also. Gotta soak them for a little while, then flush them with water. I spray cooking oil on the stuffing horn to make it easier to load the casings.

Thanks but I was kidding. I didnít know brookshires has casings. I couldnít find them. Iím going to use a recipe I found on this site.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:27 PM   #38
Muskles
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thanks but I was kidding. I didnít know brookshires has casings. I couldnít find them. Iím going to use a recipe I found on this site.
Ask the guys in the meat department, if you can't find the casings. They used to be in the frozen food isle, but now they're with the sausage seasonings. I've never done it the way you are. I typically debone deer, or wild hogs. Then I buy pork or beef trimmings from the grocery store so I can get the lean meat to fat ratio the way I want it. If you don't have enough fat, the sausage won't stick together well when you pan fry it. Not sure what it does as links, if you don't have enough fat.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:32 PM   #39
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

I did a little trial run today with 10 pounds. It turned out pretty good but I learned a few things for sure. I fried a patty up and really liked the taste but should have used a finer grind plate. It was too coarse for sausage really. Anyway, going to fire up the smoker tomorrow and see what happens.

Old 01-29-2020, 07:26 PM   #40
bowmansdad
Pope & Young

Quote:
I did a little trial run today with 10 pounds. It turned out pretty good but I learned a few things for sure. I fried a patty up and really liked the taste but should have used a finer grind plate. It was too coarse for sausage really. Anyway, going to fire up the smoker tomorrow and see what happens.

Itís whatever you prefer, I like the bite from a coarse grind, the finer grind makes it mushy to me.
bowmansdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-29-2020, 07:29 PM   #41
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Looks good. Are you cold smoking it or fully cooked?
Old 01-29-2020, 07:31 PM   #42
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Looks good. Are you cold smoking it or fully cooked?

Good question. Please advise. Lol

Was planning to just put it on low and slow until it hit close to 160 degrees. I donít know what Iím doing so if thatís not good please point me the right direction.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:38 PM   #43
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:

Links and grind texture looks good to me.... You don't want it too fine or you might as well just buy Eckrich Farms or Earl Campbells.

"just say no to hotdog sausage."

We use a 7mm once and then stuff. I know folks that stuff after a 10mm plate grind.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:06 PM   #44
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
Good question. Please advise. Lol

Was planning to just put it on low and slow until it hit close to 160 degrees. I donít know what Iím doing so if thatís not good please point me the right direction.

For this trial run you are fine with your plan. Iím sure itís gonna be eaten quickly.

When you do your next batch Iíd suggest cold smoking it. You donít need heat as much as you need smoke to flavor the sausage. Once itís packaged and frozen itís still fresh sausage and ready to be fully cooked when youíre gonna eat it.

Smoking it to 160 fully cooks it now, and your basically reheating leftover when to go to cook it next time.

Make sure youíve added cure to your sausage. Especially the cold smoke.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:24 PM   #45
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Links and grind texture looks good to me.... You don't want it too fine or you might as well just buy Eckrich Farms or Earl Campbells.

"just say no to hotdog sausage."

We use a 7mm once and then stuff. I know folks that stuff after a 10mm plate grind.

My grinder only came with 10mm and 4mm and I stuffed after once through the 10mm. Maybe I should try to buy a 7mm for it.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:25 PM   #46
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
For this trial run you are fine with your plan. Iím sure itís gonna be eaten quickly.

When you do your next batch Iíd suggest cold smoking it. You donít need heat as much as you need smoke to flavor the sausage. Once itís packaged and frozen itís still fresh sausage and ready to be fully cooked when youíre gonna eat it.

Smoking it to 160 fully cooks it now, and your basically reheating leftover when to go to cook it next time.

Make sure youíve added cure to your sausage. Especially the cold smoke.

Thanks.

I did add cure to this batch.

Last edited by BowSlayer; 01-29-2020 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:10 PM   #47
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

If you have a good sealer there is nothing wrong with cooking it up to temp.
I have sausage that is a year old that tastes as good as the day it was made.
If I decide I want some sausage for lunch the next day, I pull it from the freezer and put it in the fridge. Pop it in the microwave the next day for 45 seconds and I am eating smoked sausage.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2020, 10:22 AM   #48
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Quote:

Looks dang good!
Old 01-30-2020, 10:31 AM   #49
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Good day for smoking sausage
Old 01-30-2020, 11:20 AM   #50
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Good day for smoking sausage

Yes sir!