Predator hunting optic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Predator hunting optic

Looking for a different optic on my predator gun. Running an NX8 at the moment and I’ve found it too complicated and has it cost me a few opportunities. What’re y’all running on your predator rigs. (I have no interest in running night vision or thermal.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leupold VX6 3-18x50 with the fire dot reticle.

Comment

Curious about the too complicated comment.

I don’t predator hunt a whole lot but for pigs and quick target acquisition a 1-8 has been pretty handy for me on a gas gun.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post

I don’t predator hunt a whole lot but for pigs and quick target acquisition a 1-8 has been pretty handy for me on a gas gun.

Sierracharlie out…

Scanning all night long with red lights. Shots between 50-300 yards. Reticle is very “busy” and ffp makes the reticle difficult to see on low magnification when light is very limited. Hopefully that clarifies what I’m saying

Comment

Originally posted by Texas89 View Post
          Scanning all night long with red lights. Shots between 50-300 yards. Reticle is very “busy” and ffp makes the reticle difficult to see on low magnification when light is very limited. Hopefully that clarifies what I’m saying

That makes total sense.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by BigL71 View Post
            Leupold VX6 3-18x50 with the fire dot reticle.
            This one right here but I have the 56 objective. Nice simple easy to see fire dot.

Comment

I have the vortex crossfire fixed 3x on mine. Very simple and always consistant.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                I have the vortex crossfire fixed 3x on mine. Very simple and always consistant.

I have one in my 22 mag. I’m looking for a different level of close though

Comment

Originally posted by Texas89 View Post
                  Looking for a different optic on my predator gun. Running an NX8 at the moment and I’ve found it too complicated and has it cost me a few opportunities. What’re y’all running on your predator rigs. (I have no interest in running night vision or thermal.)

ATACR SFP 4-16 MILR/MOAR. The FFP reticle of the NX8 is a bit hard to pick up if youre not thinking ahead. The SFP MILR or MOAR reticle is less complicated, plus a lot easier to pick up on low magnification. The Glass of the ATACR is excellent, and it picks up a ton of light. Also has reliable turrets that dont leave you wanting during the day and you can dial it out.

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post

Sierracharlie out…
                    The smaller objective of the 1-8s on the market arent grear for low light or night hunting. I run a NF 1-8 some in the evebing and night because its my go to rifle that gets drug everywhere with me, but there are much better options for low light performance.

Comment

What’s the budget ?

Leupold vx5hd with firedot reticle $800-1000
                      Leupold vxr with the firedot for $400-$600

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                        The smaller objective of the 1-8s on the market arent grear for low light or night hunting. I run a NF 1-8 some in the evebing and night because its my go to rifle that gets drug everywhere with me, but there are much better options for low light performance.

I said it had been working for me not that it was the best optic. I agree there at some that are more suited for night hunting.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

If you're making 300 yard shots at night I'd get at least a 4-12x50. A 3-9x40 has always done well for me calling during the day. I rarely have my scope up much past 9 power even with the scopes that have higher magnification. I've used them in Texas for night hunting and I've never had any problems identifying the critters I was shooting at or anything. But if I had a dedicated night calling scope it'd be something along the lines of a 4-12x50. I don't have very expensive scopes so I'd go with something you may not.

Comment

I run a Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15x with Duplex reticle. It’s not a busy reticle and is easy to pick up under red light. I rarely am above 7x for most shots. If something hangs up in brush and I need more magnification, 15x is plenty for identification.

Comment

I run a Leupold vx3i 4.5-14x40. Killed truck loads of stuff at night and during the day with it. Most of the time it loves at 4.5 power but that 14 sure is nice when they hang up or need a little more precise shot. My next one will either be a trijicon or one of the Leupolds with a firedot. But been super happy with the current rig.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X