Processing your own - Getting started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Processing your own - Getting started

Think I'll be doing all my own processing from this point forward. I have always wanted to do it on my own, we are just a little tight on space. Due to a recent event with a processor, I will be doing it from here on forward. Besides a grinder, what else is a must-have to DIY. I will probably never do more than 1-3 deer at a time/per year. Thanks!

Good grinder is #1
    #2 is space to do it. Dont need fancy stainless tables, I just use plastic folding tables that I can pressure wash and disinfect when done.

#3 is a good chorizo recipe

Comment

Heavy duty cutting board. I buy the big ones at Walmart for like $13.00. Quality knives, vacuum sealer, bag and tape set up.

Comment

1-3 deer per year or 1-3 deer at a time several times a year?

It’s nice to have a bunch of processing equipment but really the only things that are needed are a grinder and tubs for mixing. If you want to make sausage you can run a stuffing tube on your grinder and be just fine. 25lb tubs are very handy when mixing and moving meat around and keeping it together that’s why I say a grinder and a tub or two. Other than that you can do all processing with a knife and a cutting board. Vacuum sealing makes things nice but it’s not a must have, Saran Wrap and butcher paper works just fine if need be.

Comment

Sharp knife and ziploc freezer bags.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickslinger92 View Post
            Think I'll be doing all my own processing from this point forward. I have always wanted to do it on my own, we are just a little tight on space. Due to a recent event with a processor, I will be doing it from here on forward. Besides a grinder, what else is a must-have to DIY. I will probably never do more than 1-3 deer at a time/per year. Thanks!

Depends on what all you want to do. If you’re going to debone into steaks/roasts and then grind trimmings into burger, a smaller, decent grinder, good knives, and a nice sized table to cut up your quarters is about all you need.

If you’re going to to get into link sausage, summer sausage, snack sticks, etc, you’ll need some more equipment.

Start small with quality equipment and upgrade/add as you see necessary. You’ll really enjoy it once you get into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Foot pedal for the stuffer is a must have if stuffing burger bags off the grinder. Nice electric stuffer could be handy for sausage. Chamber vacuum unit is very nice to have. Do some research on the stuffer and chamber vacuum unit and youll find plenty info here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Grinder, good knives, sausage stuffer, burger bags, sausage casing, seasonings, fat, vacuum sealer and bags or butcher paper and tape.

Comment

1. Good Grinder with Stuffing attachments - OR - a sausage stuffer.
                  2. Foot control for the grinder / Stuffer.
                  3. Good boning and butcher knives
                  4. Large cutting board and a bunch of towels
                  5. Work table. I use one of those plastic ones from Home Depot.
                  6. Vacuum Sealer
                  7. Measurement cups
                  8. scale.
                  9. Pork and Deer meat.

what else am I missing fellas?

Comment

#1 is a good grinder not a cheep one
                    #2 is a vacuum sealer
                    #3 meat slicer
                    #4 quality deboning knives and sharpener
                    #5 meat storage tubs
                    #6 ground meat storage bags and vacuum seal bags
                    #7 good cutting boards

Comment

Natural hog casings or sheep for sticks. Don't buy online. Go to local butcher shop or deer processor.

Comment

Grinder (foot pedal is a life saver) table, good knives, vacuum sealer scale to weight your portions. That’s all you really need. There’s lots of extras you will probably end up with once you learn.

Besides what I mentioned. I have:

Slicer, stuffer, ban saw, dehydrator, meat trays, tubs for mixing and storage, smokehouse, walk in cooler, countertops, large stainless sinks, meat bags, either a tape dispenser or metal clips to seal them.

Take a look at Allied Kenco in Houston. They are a great source for processing supplies. They even have recipes.

Edit: I type slow. Many have said a lot of the same items already. Good luck to you OP. There’s a satisfaction is making your own food. I’ve been doing it about 40 years now.
                        Last edited by AntlerCollector; 10-25-2021, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Large cutting board. Good knives that are somewhat flexible. I prefer this one:

LEM grinder.

Some plastic or stainless tubs for hand mixing sausage/seasoning and burger/fat.

Vacuum sealer or freezer paper and tape.

Sharpie to mark each package.

Comment

Grinder / stuffer if making links / a good sealer / decent knives / tubs to mix meat in-grind into and a good scale that can measure small amounts for seasonings and the meat

I have put 1# grind for burger / pan sausage etc into 1 qt bags so I can lay flat and store easier in freezer and they thaw quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by Meatcutter View Post
                              Natural hog casings or sheep for sticks. Don't buy online. Go to local butcher shop or deer processor.
                              Buying online is perfectly fine.

These are what got me started:

Grinder
                              Boning Knife
                              Vacuum Sealer

This gets you ground and all the cuts.

The rest can be added later on.

Comment

Working...
                              X